Jump to content
Froggy the Great

Randomness XII: Eighteen! Purple! Squirrels!

Recommended Posts

I like minced kalamata olives as the only seasoning on a salad of fresh greens.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Grayfax said:

I can do that too, but, as Dilvish says, they are made to be refrigerated here.  So, I do so.  

Heck, I'll eat black olives straight out of the can, but I usually chop them up for tex-mex, so they don't last long enough to make it to the fridge and I'm not sure which way I prefer those.  Green Queens though?  You betcha, cold and tasty!

Black olives are the Devil!

 

I can't tell you how many pizzas they have ruined!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a fan of olives outside of olive oil, but to each their own. I put pineapple and artichoke on my pizza. Together.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Black olives provide a decent flavor note on a vegetarian pizza. I mean, if I were to eat such a thing. :poke:

 

I put pineapple, jalapeno peppers, onions, and pepperoni on pizza together. (Which sounds like a prank order, but they work really well together.)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah, if I was a pepperoni fan, I'd go for that pizza. Got sweet and spicy instead of my sweet and salty. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Black olives are the Devil!

 

I can't tell you how many pizzas they have ruined!

Most of them? :lol:

 

I actually don't mind olives. I don't like them, particularly, and I'd rather they not be on the pizza, but it doesn't ruin my pizza.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

I'm not a fan of olives outside of olive oil, but to each their own. I put pineapple and artichoke on my pizza. Together.

Try Kalamata at some point... it's a different kind of good on the right stuff.

Pineapple and artichoke sounds great together!  Kind of like the BBQ and Anchovy ones we used to make in my college days... I miss that place... one mismanaged land deal and the place went away.  It was fun to work at as well as decent money (I got hourly plus tips for any deliveries made during the day!!)  Learned a lot about life and girls there too... but after hours pizzas were strange and amazing.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like black olives straight out of the can. At family get togethers when I was a kid, there were always bowls of black olives out on the table for everyone to snack on while we waited for the rest of the food to be ready. I'm not offended by them being on pizza or in tex mex, but I wouldn't purposefully add them.

However, I actively remove green olives and kalamata olives. Gross.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Grayfax said:

Try Kalamata at some point... it's a different kind of good on the right stuff.

Pineapple and artichoke sounds great together!  Kind of like the BBQ and Anchovy ones we used to make in my college days... I miss that place... one mismanaged land deal and the place went away.  It was fun to work at as well as decent money (I got hourly plus tips for any deliveries made during the day!!)  Learned a lot about life and girls there too... but after hours pizzas were strange and amazing.

 

Texture. Olive texture is just weird to me. If a recipe calls for them minced into something perhaps. In a piece that requires smashing between teeth or rolling on the tongue? Not into it. Maybe I'll give it a go next time someone offers me a slice with it. Free pizza is good pizza, yeah? 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

I like black olives straight out of the can. At family get togethers when I was a kid, there were always bowls of black olives out on the table for everyone to snack on while we waited for the rest of the food to be ready. I'm not offended by them being on pizza or in tex mex, but I wouldn't purposefully add them.

However, I actively remove green olives and kalamata olives. Gross.

You probably wouldn't like my tampande then.  Manzanilla and kalamata olives, roasted red peppers and garlic diced finely (I use a food processor).  Make a great spread along with some pub cheese on slices of French bread.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cyradis said:

 

Texture. Olive texture is just weird to me. If a recipe calls for them minced into something perhaps. In a piece that requires smashing between teeth or rolling on the tongue? Not into it. Maybe I'll give it a go next time someone offers me a slice with it. Free pizza is good pizza, yeah? 

Ahhh... now that I understand.  My wife has lots of weird things with textures and less with taste.  

Saying that, I still don't really understand it, but I am sympathetic to Texture People.

Just now, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

You probably wouldn't like my tampande then.  Manzanilla and kalamata olives, roasted red peppers and garlic diced finely (I use a food processor).  Make a great spread along with some pub cheese on slices of French bread.

Bah! Now you're just making me hungry!!!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love canned black olives and I love salt-cured dried olives and things like kalamatas, but they are so very different from each other they might as well be different foods.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By TheOldGuard
      Greetings!
       
      Presenting a favourite mini of mine, painted a few years back but not shown until now - Forgeworld's Warpfire Dragon.
       
       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       
       
      Thanks for looking!
       
       
    • By Werkrobotwerk
      Rather than clutter up the topic in sci-fi general with the details of how I'm painting these guys, I decided to start a wip thread. 
       
      The plan is to paint all the marines in the primaris half of the new warhammer 40000 starter box.
       
      So far I know the base colors I'm going with are purple armor, silver trim, blue weapons, green lenses. I haven't decided on squad markings or chapter symbol yet. This is of course not the colors of a canonical chapter, so I'm making it up as I go.
       
      I painted two test models just to make sure purple, blue, silver looked ok. 


    • By Pingo
      I speed-painted these over two afternoons to be a party of NPC adventurers for an eclectic mash-up of Exalted and the World of Darkness.  They are 77322, Kassandra of the Blade (sculpted by Werner Klocke); 77405, Aeris, Female Elf Ranger (sculpted by Julie Guthrie); as-yet unnumbered Mythos figures based on 50032: Jake Ryan, Hero Explorer (sculpted by Bobby Jackson) and the Victorian Lord from the set 50326: Victorian Lord & Dame (sculpted by Bob Ridolfi); and 77409, Flara, Elf Heroine (sculpted by Werner Klocke).
       
      WIP thread here.
       
       


       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       
       
       
       
       
    • By Pingo
      My GM needed a party of NPCs fast for a game of Exalted set in the World of Darkness (think fantasy characters popping up in a modern day world, more or less).
       
      There was no time to order anything, but we had the handy new Bones III core and Mythos sets.
       
      These are the Bones minis 77322, Kassandra of the Blade (sculpted by Werner Klocke); 77405, Aeris, Female Elf Ranger (sculpted by Julie Guthrie); as-yet unnumbered Mythos figures based on 50032: Jake Ryan, Hero Explorer (sculpted by Bobby Jackson) and the Victorian Lord from the set 50326: Victorian Lord & Dame (sculpted by Bob Ridolfi); and as a free bonus 77409, Flara, Elf Heroine (sculpted by Werner Klocke), who was simply a "Vale Swordsman Elf Grunt" in metal (she was the first character picked for the one represented by Kassandra of the Blade, and I painted her up anyway as an extra and useful figure).
       
      I painted these really fast -- for me -- in two afternoons, one to prime and paint faces and one to paint the rest of them.  It's not quite my one-hour robot speed paint, but for me it was super fast and the results are more tabletop-quality than my usual run.
       
      First I washed and primed all the Bones with Reaper's Brown Liner.  I did not clean flash up as much as normal owing to the tight deadline.

       

       
      Skin work, using simple mixes of earth pigments plus white: Burnt Umber (for the darker skin tones), Burnt Sienna (for the pinker, lighter skin tones), Red Iron Oxide (for really pink skin) ,and Yellow Ochre plus Titanium White. Hair was laid in with the same palette plus Carbon Black.

       
      Rough shading with ruddy Burnt Sienna-Titanium White shadows and greyer Burnt Umber-Titanium White shadows.

       
      This character, a former Fae, has dramatic blue-streaked hair.  This is a classic mix of Phthalocyanine Blue and enough Titanium White to make it opaque.

       

       

       
       
    • By Werkrobotwerk
      Earlier this week I got my hands on a set of bones 3 mythos cultists.
       
      I'm not really that into cthulhu, but I do love a crazy looking cult. So I went with purple robes with bronze weapons, and painted the faces as masks. Not really sure if they were meant to be masks, but I think it worked. 











  • Who's Online   24 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)

×