Froggy the Great

Randomness XII: Eighteen! Purple! Squirrels!

11663 posts in this topic

(LK's ship is operating with its transponder in the ON position today.) 

In about an hour [?] it is going to transit The Strait of Gibraltar.

Should be close to sunset in that time zone. 

4 people like this

Oh, it's plenty disturbing either way!:lol:

4 people like this

5 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Hiya, Oneboot!

*waves*

Lots and lots of sympathy likes and hugs, friends; family drama is the worst kind of drama. :unsure:

I think I'm slowly starting to crawl out of the black hole I didn't even know I'd fallen into a couple of weeks ago. My first clue that I had a serious case of brain-eating weasels was when I realized that this past week I've been keeping the living areas of our apartment spotless. I've even been doing all of the dishes every night!!

This may seem like an odd thing to be concerned about, but in the Boot household, a squeaky clean dwelling is a sure sign that OneBoot has an upset mind. The tidier, the worse it is. I deep-cleaned the oven the other day at 3am. :unsure:

I didn't realize it at first, since there wasn't anything immediately obvious that was depressing me, but after some self-reflection, I think it might be mostly follow-on distress from my uncle's passing, coupled with stress about ReaperCon stuff. I never did manage to process his loss properly, since as soon as I was notified, I had to tell all these peripheral people (to let them know I'd have to change plans / reschedule things) and deal with it all calm and logistically and factually, then again while I was home because my dad especially needed strong support.

So I'm trying to give myself space right now to just focus on taking care of myself and MrBoot, which is helping. Going to the hangout for a bit last night helped too; I actually found myself getting some prep for my ReaperCon entry done since everyone else was working on stuff, plus the laughter was much needed. ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

15 people like this

2 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

*I* wouldn't hurt one.  But I do hear that turtle soup is tasty.  I large snapping turtles aren't exactly "cute".

::o:  

Minn of the Mississippi was adorable!

2 people like this

12 minutes ago, Pingo said:

::o:  

Minn of the Mississippi was adorable!

So are lambs, but that doesn't stop me from getting a leg of it every once in a while, or having lamb and barley soup in the winter time.

I don't tend to draw the line on what I eat based upon looks, but taste and sustainability.  And most importantly price/availability.

(Not a knock on other people; feel free to eat/or not eat what you want.  Just putting my opinion out there)

10 people like this

I rather like the idea of cheerfully finding something cute and equally cheerfully enjoying eating it.

In "Exalted" the Fae from outside of Creation are like that (and they are continually astonished and a little indignant that humans take offense at their actions).

9 people like this

My brother became a vegetarian around age 6 because "crabs are too cute to eat". He stuck with that until ~15 in high school when he got into culinary classes. Then he went with a "but... it is so yummy". I tend to be of the opinion that eating less meat would be beneficial for the world, but we don't all need to be vegetarians. If possible, I'd prefer sustainably farmed or hunted meats, but alas, that can get costly. Sometimes I'll end up with good cuts of beef though; boyfriend's family in WY has cattle ranches, and will share half a cow with his branch of the family. It gets frozen, and I end up cooking some of it. We know where it came from, the good grazing it had, so there isn't tons of guilt for those ones (to me at least). 

I'd also have an iron deficiency if not for a weekly-ish dose of red meat. Iron supplements are absolutely miserable (I tried. It was *bad*). 

13 people like this

5 minutes ago, Pingo said:

I rather like the idea of cheerfully finding something cute and equally cheerfully enjoying eating it.

In "Exalted" the Fae from outside of Creation are like that (and they are continually astonished and a little indignant that humans take offense at their actions).

Note to self: watch the Fae closely after they compliment how cute my baby is.

1 minute ago, Cyradis said:

I'd also have an iron deficiency if not for a weekly-ish dose of red meat. Iron supplements are absolutely miserable (I tried. It was *bad*). 

I had to take iron tablets while I was in boot camp.  The taste didn't really bother me; it was the resulting constipation.

11 people like this

14 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I had to take iron tablets while I was in boot camp.  The taste didn't really bother me; it was the resulting constipation.

^^ That. 

Healthy units for iron levels should be 6-100, and I was told I had 6. Too low for comfort. So the doctors told me to take 3 tablets per day. I made it through 1 every other day. 

I stopped doing that due to the erm... discomfort. I started eating a burger or a cheap broccoli-beef entree one time per week extra. Next time I got checked, I was totally fine. 

7 people like this

The galley in bootcamp didn't really make "red" meat.  Everything was a uniform gray color; especially any beef.

9 people like this

1 hour ago, Grayfax said:

I think I may need clarification.  Are the Storm Troopers eating the Ewoks?  Or are the Ewoks eating the Storm Troopers?

PSA:  Proper hyphenation saves lives!

10 people like this

The last time I had turtle soup the turtle had bitten me first.

I was justified. It was tasty.

11 people like this

This excites me and terrifies me at the same time

20170922_125933.thumb.jpg.6e917a2e2a2ddd2ee75323be3a75b01b.jpg

Speaking of which, 

*looks at* @MissMelons

13 people like this

I'm at Jo-Ann's. They have "spider skeletons". Uh... with a rib cage and joints along the longs and it is both funny and depressing at the same time. 

9 people like this