Froggy the Great

Randomness XII: Eighteen! Purple! Squirrels!

11912 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

Dude, if I was SEEING them do this it wouldn't be a problem.  I'm going to put up an obnoxious sign and if it doesn't stop I'm getting a camera.  Then I will shame them on the local community website with footage.  It's a small town and there are a lot of dog owners.  

Hell hath no fury, yadda, yadda.  

Just putting up a sign that your yard is under video surveillance and that any dog owners letting their flea-ridden mange-fests come near your yard will be seeing their faces online may well be enough to stop it...

Alternately, spread cayenne pepper over the places they usually go - after the first couple snootfuls of it, they'll take the hint. If you really want to keep the dogs off your yard, most outdoors supply stores like Cabella also sell things like mountain lion urine...

13 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Ugh, I will kill that dwarf witch though. Low hit points, AC of 7, I tried to give him free armor but he wouldn't take it. Because the 5% spell failure chance is not worth it, not when it means a 5% chance his ineffective spells won't even cast right. 

Drop some Bracers of Armor as their next magic item, even if it puts them above the standard level of expected treasure...

Hell, you could just make up a damn magic item that lowers the spell failure chance on armor, or even just come up with some narrative fiction to handwave it away...

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I feel like complete a piece of crap right now.

There's Good and there's Bad.

And then there's Necessary.

You do what you need to do and you don't ever feel bad about it, because the alternative would have been worse.

Edited by Mad Jack
11 people like this

Dad was admitted to the 11th floor, which is the floor for folks with mental disorders. After reading some information on the side effects of miralax, I'm pretty sure that's what's been happening to him. Like, who decided it was okay to give poison to people to help them poop?

8 people like this

Last night my kitten wouldn't let me sleep with my door closed, which is weird because she chose to stop sleeping with me or going into my room like a month ago. So I opened the door, and she sorta slept with me for a few minutes then ran off. That was 12 hours of sleep ago, and now my other cat, who quit sleeping with me when I got the kitten, is currently cuddled up to me on the bed. He only did this just as I woke up. I don't want to stay in bed, because I just slept for 12 hours, but I don't want to wake him up since he hasn't cuddled up to me like this since July.

It's a dilemma.

10 people like this

Cats are strange critters.

We get a new cat - usually a kitten, but once in a while, we'll end up bringing home an older cat, the cat goes in the bathroom with a box and food and water, and stays in the bathroom for about a week; preferably two.

That way, not only do the cats get used to the new cat without being able to shred them, you have two weeks for them to show off any illnesses they might or might not have.

... I don't know why people say IKEA is hard; I had no trouble. Shelf, desk, desktop accessory, all assembled. Much better. Can stand at desk, if desired. Have tall chair, if sitting is better - like right now, because my limbs are noodles.. :/

12 people like this

15 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

... I don't know why people say IKEA is hard; I had no trouble.

When we either clear out some space or move, which is probably more likely at this point, I want to get a display shelf from them. The only thing I'm apprehensive about is the assembly and only because it is mostly glass. I don't want to spend $70+ on a shelf and break it during assembly.

9 people like this

Just won an EvilBay auction and added six of the non-articulated pvc monsters and one of the articulated monsters to my collection of AD&D action figures for just over $40... :bday:

9 people like this

43 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

When we either clear out some space or move, which is probably more likely at this point, I want to get a display shelf from them. The only thing I'm apprehensive about is the assembly and only because it is mostly glass. I don't want to spend $70+ on a shelf and break it during assembly.

What made it easier, maybe, is that I went over all of the instructions once, before I actually started identifying and assembling; that helped.

No glass involved here, but ... I too, want one of their glass display .. um.. cases. ^^;

the directions for any of the pieces I build were /much/ clearer than any of the chairs I've assembled so far! (I think four, one of which was not a rolly-chair or other breed of computer chair).

... I also didn't have anyone looking over my shoulder 'helping', which, despite the instructions suggesting that a second person is helpful, usually isn't... unless whatever it is is huge, like maybe one of those giant bookshelf cube things, or any of the floating doohickies..

10 people like this

The only time you should ever really need a second person involved in putting together most modern furniture (desks, display cases, etc.) is when the pieces are really heavy...

Most glass doors on display cases are easily light enough to be handled without issue by one person. The only thing you need to watch out for is making sure that you don't try to overtighten the screws, etc., as that can cause the glass to crack if you really crank on them.

10 people like this

I really wish I had an IKEA that was closer than an hour and a half drive away. Especially since that hour and a half drive ends in the hell hole that is Pittsburgh traffic. The city itself is generally fine, but the traffic coming in is stupid on a good day. Which only happens when PennDOT isn't screwing it up every half mile, which hasn't been the case in any of the times I've been up there in the last 5 years.

But since I dont have an IKEA that's closer, I have to either make plans for a specific trip up there some day, or make a detour some other time when I have plans that take me up that way. I tried doing that last week, but the original plans got mucked with enough by lack of sleep and a hangover that I didn't make the extra 45 minute detour. I also could have done it today if I'd changed my original plans for yesterday and spent the night at the SCA event, but I didn't have the funds available to buy the desk I wanted so there would have been no point.

So I'm somewhat jealous of people that live close to an IKEA and can just decide to stop by whenever.

7 people like this

2 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

... I don't know why people say IKEA is hard; I had no trouble. Shelf, desk, desktop accessory, all assembled. Much better. Can stand at desk, if desired. Have tall chair, if sitting is better - like right now, because my limbs are noodles.. :/

Swedish Ingenuity for the win!

6 people like this

Last time I was at an IKEA it was a 'field trip' with the CA Department of Rehabilitation. The state was trying to get us all jobs there. I have degrees in Math and Organic Chemistry and I'm trained as a Clinical Lab Chemist and the state was trying to foist me off onto IKEA because I'm legally disabled.

I'd have been insulted if I didn't just use it as an excuse for meatballs.

5 people like this

28 minutes ago, Unruly said:

So I'm somewhat jealous of people that live close to an IKEA and can just decide to stop by whenever.

Don't kid yourself; we're out in the back end of nowhere and a trip to IKEA requires PLANNING. ... because most things cannot be shoehorned into the Prius, however we might like to think so (the corner desk I have; the top wouldn't have fit. Everything else would have been fine), a trip where we /know/ the thing will exceed capacity requires Grendel. Grendel, much as I do love her, is fhuge and nowhere near as nimble as the Prius; parking her is ... tricky.

It's also about an hour, maybe more depending on what the highways look like; 167 is frequently complete pants. :/

So, I cant just say 'fraggit, I'mma hit IKEA for the thing!'. But I can drool over the website and catalogs all I want. ^^;

Probably didn't need Mr. Thorne this time, but he was handy anyway; we snagged the correct desktop out of the scratch-and dent section (still haven't figured out why it was there; I did more damage assembling it than I saw on it when we grabbed it), and I needed a second set of eyes on the other side of the massive blinder. The none-corner version might not have been so bad.... and that might have fit in the Prius. Can't wait to see what Mr. Thorne comes up with on designing his office; should be interesting. ^^:

Turns out the local IKEA has a tricky parking lot; go figure.

But .. the food was decent, and I was amused by the restaurant. Mr. Thorne had the meatballs, I didn't feel like borrowing his squash allergy to avoid the seasonal veg. Might ty the meatballs if we're there after squash season has gone out again. ^^:

6 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

Last time I was at an IKEA it was a 'field trip' with the CA Department of Rehabilitation. The state was trying to get us all jobs there. I have degrees in Math and Organic Chemistry and I'm trained as a Clinical Lab Chemist and the state was trying to foist me off onto IKEA because I'm legally disabled.

*blink* I'm ... that's ... whut?

At least you got meatballs. Any excuse, right?

6 people like this

4 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:
13 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

*blink* I'm ... that's ... whut?

At least you got meatballs. Any excuse, right?

Oh it's as messed up as it sounds. I got myself involved with the state because a therapist said they could help me get a job. Because autism makes me unable to pass a job interview. If I fess up beforehand I run into the stereotypes, which I don't fit so I must be lying. If I don't fess up I run into the fact that my gaze feels like being hit with a brick and my smile causes lesser men to fear for their souls.

The Department was not interested in empowering me to get a job in my field or appropriate to my ability, education, skills, or knowledge. They simply wanted to shoehorn me into any job at all because their budget is dependent on the number of cases they close, not on the number of cases they have.

So I went in expecting nothing more than meatballs. IKEA exceeded those expectations: they also had air conditioning and lingonberries. 

5 people like this

6 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I feel yer pain. I don't like to think about what I left behind when my ex and I parted.

Same here... (and moving to the Randomness thread from Acquisitions) 

3 people like this

7 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Drop some Bracers of Armor as their next magic item, even if it puts them above the standard level of expected treasure...

Hell, you could just make up a damn magic item that lowers the spell failure chance on armor, or even just come up with some narrative fiction to handwave it away...

If they're really pig headed about things, dress up the bracers of armor as the lost gear of some mighty witch of old. even if they're really just bracers of armor, they might wear them if they think it'll give them witch cred.

6 people like this