Froggy the Great

Randomness XII: Eighteen! Purple! Squirrels!

3 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

I have earplugs next to my bed for emergency cases of snoring ::P: They're gun range grade (30 db rating). The gun range headphones are in my bag in case of Screaming Kid On Bus. I have the noise cancelling headphones (yes those are two different sets, these play music too) next to my bed, though they tend to migrate all over the apartment during the day. Luckily it's a studio apartment so it's not like they'll get lost.

I dislike using both earplugs and headphones because the headphones produce a lot of physical pressure. Combine that with the pressure from the earplugs and I've had ear infections result. Although given the depth of today's resultant Migraine Due To Uncontrolled Screaming I might just soak the doctor's visit next time.

Or get a hotel room. Or... Nah, I shouldn't dismantle the fire alarm. That's illegal.

If you are having a problem with ear infections you need to switch to the industrial grade disposable foam earplugs. I use the Flents brand Quiet Time which have a NRR of 33 db.  Bulk packs are available at Wally World Pharmacy.  I get the 10 pack, which usually serves my needs for from 2 weeks to a month, for about $4 a box.

I know all about the headphone pressure, which is why I really like my Sennheisers.  Very big ear cups [which with my large ears is a major comfort factor] so they fit completely over the ear and all the pressure is on the skull.  Of course, after about 6 hours straight even they start to feel like a carpenters clamp has been screwed to my head.  Still, they are the best balance of comfort, noise canceling, and durability [all metal for the headband and hinge pieces] I have found in 10+ years of them being a necessary survival tool.

As to the fire alarm problem, can you maybe barbecue someplace that is guaranteed to set off the alarm?  I know it's a pain but if it happens frequently enough and they can't figure out what's triggering it when the ~other people~ complain they may decide to tone down the noise.

Also, you might have a talk with your landlord and let them know that these unannounced fire drills are affecting your health and that you would appreciate some advance notice, say two weeks for starters.  If they start to object remind them about the Americans With Disabilities Act and that it encompasses a lot more than just wheelchair accessibility.

• Like 11

Just got back from Ophthalmologists Office and she told me she doesn't want to see me for a year unless I notice a sudden change.

This is very good news as I have a slow growing cataract in my right eye and the ongoing medical issues resulting from a detached retina in my left eye.

So it's time for a small celebration, which will get larger if the clip on lenses I just bought for the camera on my tablet let me take half decent pictures of my Bones projects.

GEM

>Off to play with picture taking stuff<

• Like 8

Life is beautiful.

I just installed a brand new 1/2 horsepower shallow well jet pump at the house. We had it running fine. It was up to 45 lbs. of pressure. An hour after my old man left, the pressure dropped to zero. But for some reason was back to normal by the time my old man came back over the next day.

I come home today and the pump is running. And running, and running... It won't go over 30 lbs. The shutoff point is set for 40 lbs. A few hours later, my old man and my brother show up. Baby bro is the "plumbing expert" in the family, because his house's plumbing is so shot he's had to replace most of it, lol. We cut off the water to the house, so we had a closed system from the well to the pump. It still won't get over 30. For some reason, near as we can figure, the pump's drawing water but doesn't have enough pull to build up any more pressure than that. Our first attempt at a solution is going to be to install a check valve in the plastic pipe bringing water in from the well, to keep any from going back out that way. It's possible the foot valve in the well is shot, but installing the check valve is cheaper and easier, and may solve the problem. If it's not the foot valve, it's possible our brand new pump has a defect or somehow managed to overwork itself doing the elfing job it was supposed to be doing and was designed for.

In any event, it's holding pressure at 30 lbs.... I'll just have to keep it turned off until I need to use the water and then turn it off again afterwards.

Life is beautiful, man.

4 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

It would appear that my efforts to make students recognize the toxic minerals in the cabinets is working to at least some extent. Many of them got those minerals correct, and if they didn't, they mixed them up for something reasonably similar in appearance. At least that says the majority knew what they were looking for. Last year this quiz had people mixing up things for any random name. Happened a little here, but certainly not the majority. 

*big sigh of relief* 

You should pick some examples of things they switched around, and then explain to them all the fun, horrible ways in which they've just killed themselves by mistaking one for the other...

• Like 10

I just snacked ... on fresh arugula and rice crackers.

I may have a problem. :unsure:

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Pingo said:

I just snacked ... on fresh arugula and rice crackers.

I may have a problem. :unsure:

Yup. Clearly not enough organic peanut butter.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Erifnogard said:

I'm pretty sure we had the same person attempt to draw our blood.  Though I was joining the Army.  And likely quite a distance from where you joined.  Maybe they fly that CENSORED in to test the recruit's resolve to enter the military.  That is the only blood drawing experience I ever had that even vaguely made me feel like fainting.  Or murdering.  I'm not actually sure which sensation it was as another tech noticed the nauseous/murderous glint in my eye and took over in time to save a life.  

Pretty sure that they toss all of the incompetent stickers at the MEPS stations.  My guy took 3 or 4 sticks to get my draw done.  Told me that my veins rolled, and to warn any future people of that so they could take precautions.  First time I told a Red Cross phlebotomist that my veins rolled they laughed.  I evidently have veins like tree trunks; no one should be able to miss mine.

Awesome Wife is a former phleb and IV Nurse, and every now and then I'll see her looking at my veins wistfully.  She has yet to stick me.  

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

You should pick some examples of things they switched around, and then explain to them all the fun, horrible ways in which they've just killed themselves by mistaking one for the other...

That's a decent idea. I don't need to thoroughly guilt trip them for this though; I need to push them to get the next little step to correct identification. If they're this far, with a little nudge, they'll get it next time. 

• Like 10

41 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

It would appear that my efforts to make students recognize the toxic minerals in the cabinets is working to at least some extent. Many of them got those minerals correct, and if they didn't, they mixed them up for something reasonably similar in appearance. At least that says the majority knew what they were looking for. Last year this quiz had people mixing up things for any random name. Happened a little here, but certainly not the majority. 

*big sigh of relief* 

If your students lick the rocks or grind them up and snort them, would it really be that bad if they picked toxic ones?

:rolleyes:

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Doug Sundseth said:

If your students lick the rocks or grind them up and snort them, would it really be that bad if they picked toxic ones?

:rolleyes:

Hah! That was last year's students - and it was the other TA's who were doing that! I successfully got everyone to wash their hands and not pick their noses after the quiz ::P: 

• Like 11

16 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

1 hour ago, Erifnogard said:

I'm pretty sure we had the same person attempt to draw our blood.  Though I was joining the Army.  And likely quite a distance from where you joined.  Maybe they fly that CENSORED in to test the recruit's resolve to enter the military.  That is the only blood drawing experience I ever had that even vaguely made me feel like fainting.  Or murdering.  I'm not actually sure which sensation it was as another tech noticed the nauseous/murderous glint in my eye and took over in time to save a life.  

Pretty sure that they toss all of the incompetent stickers at the MEPS stations.  My guy took 3 or 4 sticks to get my draw done.  Told me that my veins rolled, and to warn any future people of that so they could take precautions.  First time I told a Red Cross phlebotomist that my veins rolled they laughed.  I evidently have veins like tree trunks; no one should be able to miss mine.

Awesome Wife is a former phleb and IV Nurse, and every now and then I'll see her looking at my veins wistfully.  She has yet to stick me.  

When I was going through OSUT at FT Knox in 84, the elfhole sticking me with some vaccine or other got called, twisted his body, and broke the elfin needle off in my arm....:zombie:

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

As to the fire alarm problem, can you maybe barbecue someplace that is guaranteed to set off the alarm?  I know it's a pain but if it happens frequently enough and they can't figure out what's triggering it when the ~other people~ complain they may decide to tone down the noise.

Also, you might have a talk with your landlord and let them know that these unannounced fire drills are affecting your health and that you would appreciate some advance notice, say two weeks for starters.  If they start to object remind them about the Americans With Disabilities Act and that it encompasses a lot more than just wheelchair accessibility.

Oh, it was announced. A note was slipped under my door last night saying the fire alarm would be going off intermittently from 8am to noon today. So I arranged to be elsewhere until 1pm. That part was annoying but fine. The problem was they were still testing the fire alarm and lied to my face when I got back and asked if they were done. If the building manager had said they weren't done I'd have gone to waste an hour at Starbucks, no harm no foul, no complaints. I have a migraine not because of the test but because I was lied to and therefore was forced to experience the test.

The test was apparently a state law thing. I'm from a family of fire fighters, 5 generations worth, so I can appreciate state-mandated alarm testing. In California there are no mandated tests, hell in CA I never even saw a fire alarm inside an apartment building. I'm all for testing. I'm also all for me not being here when that test is done. I wasn't here for most of the test. Problems only occurred when I got home an hour after the test was scheduled to be finished and the building manager, who I spoke to in the hallway assured me they were done. They weren't. 

tl;dr

I knew this was coming and I made plans to take my disability into account. And they would have worked too if not for those meddling kids, I mean, if the building manager hadn't lied to me when I got back. 

The problem isn't at heart an ADA thing. It's a People Suck thing. And people wonder why I don't trust them <_<

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

I have a lesser version of the migraine fairy ... mine just likes to punch ick-picks through my temple if I try to /do/ anything. It requires effort? STAB. This makes using the bathroom an unnecessary form of torture.

Somehow, I have a certainty that if I actually did a little diorama with a fairy with a teeny ice pick nailed to a wall, it would disturb somebody..... or I'd do it.

No matter what you do in life the people who make it their business to be offended will find a reason to be offended.

Do it anyway, those of us that "get it" will be highly amused at the visual.

And when you ignore the pwmitbtbo they will get further offended at being ignored.

GEM

• Like 5

Right. Going upstairs now to eat something besides half a box of cereal for dinner.

Maybe tomorrow I'll manage to cook the damn chicken for my lunch for the week, lol.

• Like 4