Froggy the Great

Randomness XII: Eighteen! Purple! Squirrels!

12004 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, Thes Hunter said:

@Pegazus I still think it's likely BS shenanigans by the insurance. Likely All cause the doc didn't click the right buttons or say the right key words. Or the coder just didn't know that's what they needed to put. 

Sometimes, I wonder if The insurance industry should witness the power of a fully operational munchkin power gamer unleashed on their billing system. Then I remember the alignment written on my character sheet: CG. Dang nab it!!!

I’m sure it is, but all I can do now is cost them customers and file every claim I feel entitled to.

And I still haven’t dealt with my appendicitis surgeon. His billing company coded the surgery as non-emergency, despite the emergency line item just above it. So my insurance company rejected the reprocessing, and claims it is still an out of network charge. Going to try to see about getting the billing company to correct that first. Not sure they can. 

5 people like this

1 hour ago, Thes Hunter said:

I was about to say Reaper's website still had some... but then I rechecked... and I could have sworn earlier tonight I had seen an 'Add to Cart' button.

But then again, I might have been in the middle of full procrastination hallucinatory state where I was looking for ANYTHING to distract me. And therefore may not have been as detail orientated as I should have been.

By the time I looked it was taken down from the store completely. Like I could google it and results for the store showed up and when I clicked it I got the sorry the "Sorry, no currently released products could be found." message.

5 people like this

3 hours ago, OneBoot said:

This. Once when I was particularly peeved at Windows, I looked into Linux. I didn't even get to the "how to set it up" part, though; I had no idea there were several different versions of Linux, and had no clue which was the one I'd need. The website felt more like it was set up for people who already knew what they were doing and what they wanted to download. Ah well; at least with a Windows machine I don't have to worry about compatibility issues with programs and hardware.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Linux is like ice cream. It's all got the same foudation of milk, cream, and sugar, but there are a near infinite number of flavors. The biggest difference is in the way they handle software distribution, aka their package manager, of which there's really just a few basic flavors that everyone else is built on - Red Hat, Debian, Gentoo, and Slackware. The first 3 are basically the strawberry, vanilla, and chocolate of Linux, while the last one is like buying your own ice cream maker and trying to start everything from scratch. Everything else builds on those 4 main setups, and is basically the same as all those different flavors that add in stuff like caramel, nuts, marshmallow, fudge, etc. The more stuff you add, the more likely you are to get something you're going to like, but the more likely you are to ruin it as well. Meanwhile, if you've got one of the barebones things, it's something that you're going to want to add stuff to I'm order to make it better.

At this point, I'm kind of stretching the analogy, but whatever. If you ever REALLY want to learn Linux, jump head first into Slackware sometime. You'll either drown in all the options and esoteric commands you need to know just to get it running and bail entirely, or you'll come up swimming so strongly that everything else will feel like a cakewalk. It's seriously the ultimate learning tool for Linux because it's so involved just to get things running in the slightest. And then, once you do that, all you've got is a command line to figure out everything else. It's some hardcore stuff.

38 minutes ago, Thes Hunter said:

@Pegazus I still think it's likely BS shenanigans by the insurance. Likely All cause the doc didn't click the right buttons or say the right key words. Or the coder just didn't know that's what they needed to put. 

Sometimes, I wonder if The insurance industry should witness the power of a fully operational munchkin power gamer unleashed on their billing system. Then I remember the alignment written on my character sheet: CG. Dang nab it!!!

I'd like to see that. When I had my syncopal episode and smashed out my front teeth on a hardwood floor, the repairs were supposed to be covered by medical insurance since they were caused by a medical event. Except my dentist's billing office didn't submit them properly. I guess she needed to submit them under a different code than she would normally, but she didn't do that. It took 6 months to fix the error, and that's with my having previously called the insurance company prior to the work to make sure everything was actually going to be covered under medical and all that jazz.

Edited by Unruly
8 people like this

I really need to write some PhD application essays. Blergh. I've done this sort of writing before and I'm not awful at it... but I dread it. I think I shall try to work on that on Saturday, along with some painting. I need to do more on the rainbow dragon and then get my inspector going and then a few others lined up... MEH. 

And I finally got some simple green to strip the figures that have been a state of face-only for seven years. Plus some mineral spirits for stripping ancient enamel half-painted figures from over a decade ago. Good figures and they need a soak to get anywhere! 

10 people like this

Bah!!! I want snow! We don't get that down here.

I finished figuring out my color palette for my ReaperCon entry! Yay! Now to reward myself with some Portal Knights. ^_^ 

12 people like this

I think if I wind up getting divorced I'll go back and do a Ph.D. That way I don't have to finish my novel.

I bet I'd be a huge hit on a college campus now. I'm surprised I survived the first time.

Don't sweat the essays. They're easypeasy. Keep it short, express familiarity with the staff (feigning where necessary), kiss up just a wee touch, drop in one small piece of heartfelt individual detail, and have someone with a smooth prose hand wring it out if that's not your thing.

7 people like this

For a science geek, I can write pretty darn well. I nailed it on my written GRE scores, and my recently-lawyer friend has always been great about giving feedback when I need to get somewhat floofy with the prose. It is mostly the nervousness of setting fingers to keyboard to get it going that worries me. That, and I need to do more reaching out to professors directly. My background is more strange than many coming in; not many geologists have physics backgrounds who don't intend on going into distinctly geophysics. Toss the gemstone studies in there, and it is odd. That's I guess a good and a bad thing, depending on who you ask.

It does help that Sir Cyr is very much in favor of me going into academia. He's happy to travel wherever, and he's a computer programmer. Even if my profession isn't very transportable, his is exceptionally transportable. 

14 people like this

So I ordered some Dark Heaven Legends Thanksgiving Mouslings from a shop in Springfield, Ill.

I'm on the Mojave Desert in California.

Can somebody please give me a rational explanation for why the Postal tracking is showing my package going through Baltimore, MD. and then some other place I've never heard of also in Maryland?

GEM

6 people like this

Lol, I bombed the GRE so badly. Didn't prepare at all, stayed up writing the night before, got only two hours' sleep, and wound up late because my truck wouldn't start and I had to flag down a passerby to give me a jump. It was special. The story I wrote that night is one of the ones that got me in, though, so yin and yang or something I guess.

All my experience is in the humanities, but on that side of the aisle they looooooove that sort of academic diversity. Always a feather in the cap to grab people from other fields.

Of course, I hope and pray for a love of oddity whenever I fiddle with my resume and think about applying for something. My decade of farming since grad school looks kind of silly listed prominently in my work history following a brief stint as an adjunct.

8 people like this

I did well on the multiple choice, for a geologist. I did slightly poor on the math for a physicist. I also hadn't used that sort of math in years (differential equations on the brain instead). I also didn't study at all... only a little bit of vocab refreshing. The written I got lucky on. One of the prompts was archaeology based, and I was able to do my entire argument with geology. Plus, I'm comfortable "winging it" on most tests. 

I suppose not needing a jump-start helped too. Doesn't sound like your morning went well! 

Another potential hiccup is that most of my good experiences have been teaching now. I want to do more research. Often researchers look down on people who have focused on teaching. Super lame, because teaching has made me much better at analyzing situations in general. 

How did you decide upon farming after grad school, @Marvin? Farming is good stuff - darn difficult to do well though. Farmers don't get enough credit, and they're super important. 

11 people like this

Family business, basically. We grew up raising cattle and had been cropping since my teens. I realized I'd probably blow my brains out teaching freshman comp, and same time I was finishing up my brother dropped out of college, and I think that there's a lot of good pages of the world in which the company is a good man who is the best way to get the Jeep back to the store and I think that there's a lot of good pages of the world...

Sorry, I just started hitting the middle autocorrect word and that happened. Apparently it circled or I still might be doing it.

Anyway, my little brother had decided to take over farming the land our father had been renting out (he'd gotten old and spent the last few years taking care of his mother before she died), and we wound up going back to it together at the same time, expanding, relocating, and then finally mostly getting out. We're great at growing corn, but the market turned to broccoli. Now we're sorta getting back into another area of agriculture, he keeps talking about finishing his undergrad, and I keep talking about teaching. And they're building a new four-year school across the road from me. So who knows. It's been a wild ride.

9 people like this

@Green Eyed Monster

My laptop has a broken Jack Adapter so it won't charge anymore ( I suspect R.I.B.B.I.T.)

Now all parts are for sale, of course the jack adapter is obsolete and unobtainable.

My nephew will try to make a workaround, if he fails it will be useless and I will need a new one ( and a new laptop too)

As for Linux, I'm a gamer, most of my games will not work on that.

Edited by Glitterwolf
5 people like this

10 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

@Green Eyed Monster

My laptop has a broken Jack Adapter so it won't charge anymore ( I suspect R.I.B.B.I.T.)

Now all parts are for sale, of course the jack adapter is obsolete and unobtainable.

My nephew will try to make a workaround, if he fails it will be useless and I will need a new one ( and a new laptop too)

As for Linux, I'm a gamer, most of my games will not work on that.

Seems to be the weak point on a lot of laptops.

If your nephew knows what he is doing he should be able to bypass the broken plug and wire a polarized molex or other brand plug into the system.  Might be a little ugly but it should work to keep the laptop charged.

GEM

6 people like this

Sigh. I hate plaster walls. Or rather, I hate aspects of them. Just tore a hand rail out of the wall because it wasn't mounted to any studs, which left a couple nicely sized holes in the wall that I'm ill-equipped to fix. I also don't know how I'm going to find studs in the plaster wall to correctly hang the rail, because the stud finder I have from when I lived at my mom's is useless on plaster, and the magnet trick doesn't seem to be working even with my rare earth magnets. The fact that this house was built with rough cut and who knows what spacing for the studs doesn't help.

6 people like this