Sign in to follow this  

Anirion, Wood Elf Wizard

My Reaper Learn to Paint kit just finally arrived after one set getting lost in the mail and the other taking its time. Last night I decided to end a stressful day by painting.

Very pleased with how Anirion came out, would still like to refine my photo taking. The light tent I threw together is helping, but the natural highlights and shadows are still obscuring some detail. I think part of my problem is that I need to reconfigure the backdrop so that I can place the mini deeper into the tent.

• Like 18

Better than me I just use the kitchen stove. lol.  Nice job on the fig. For the lighting have you thought of maybe trying a fill flash?  Ie. and external flash pointed away from your subject?

• Like 1

Currently you're lighting almost entirely from left and right (you can tell from the shadows). For general-purpose portraits (which includes most miniatures photography), you want your light to mostly come from the front.

If, instead of putting lights to either side of a lightbox, you were to put lights to either side of the camera (about 45° to either side of the line from mini to camera), your shadows would be less of a problem. For a longer discussion, you can see this thread:

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By DocPiske
      I haven't seen this posted anywhere else on the boards and did not find anything by searching, but RealmSmith has posted an interview from GAMA on YouTube with Ron and Ed. If this has already been posted, please feel free to nuke this post with extreme prejudice. As YouTube is a commercial site, no link but searching RealmSmith and Reaper will get you there.
      Here are my notes:
      Pathfinder Paints (!) - 56 new colors, Golarian specific colors, ETA October.
      Learn to Paint kit expansions, 6 additional colors each and instructions, 4 expansion sets, ETA June or July.
      Pathfinder Learn to Paint kit being worked on.
    • By Sophie was taken
      Painted (mostly) by-the-numbers, Anirion:

This was a departure from my normal style of painting, and I made a number of mistakes, but wanted to stick to the instructions and see how it all turned out. All things considered, I think it looks decent.
      I didn’t worry about trying to correct the bend in the staff or any mold lines. And I added a third highlight layer (more yellow) to the robes, to make them pop just a bit more. The camera washed these out, it seems.
      The little details probably deserved more attention, but the focus here was clearly on the robes. I think I did learn a few new things, hopefully for the better. More practice will help. Comments and critiques welcome.
    • By ObviousBadGuy
      Hello everyone! I'm new (to the forum and painting) and I thought the best way to introduce myself was with a figure. This is my second figure I've painted and thought it was pretty decent. I would love to hear what you think.  
      P.s sorry for the horrible camera quality and background. I'll work on that.

• By SGHawkins09
      This was my favorite project of 2017 due to how much I pushed my abilities in creating it. It was my first major conversion of this sort, first time doing texture, first major use of OSL, and first Sci Fi base built fully from scratch. So lots of firsts with this one. Those of you who followed my WIP thread know what I went through with this one;  the OSL dilemma, redoing the base, and sculpting new hands at the last minute. In all I am proud that I stepped out of my comfort zone and I cannot give enough thanks to those who posted in the WIP thread, your encouragement gave me the push that I needed.
      So this conversion is the result of critique I received at ReaperCon 2016 regarding my Open entry, it was to up the difficulty of my conversions. When I got home I went through the Reaper web store and found minis that I call "blank slates", ones that I felt would be a good base for multiple conversions. I found a few that sparked an idea but the one that I got stuck on was Anirion and how he would make the perfect Jedi. So he was the project I choose for my ReaperCon 2017 Open entry but I made myself focus on having fun with it and not worrying about it being perfect. When I was finished, I was extremely happy with the results but I knew that there were somethings that could be better. Knowing that, I was extremely surprised to find that I got a gold medal in Open and blown away when it was announced that I got the Open Silver Sophie. So again thank you to everyone who gave me feedback in the WIP thread.
      WIP thread: Wizard of a Different Sort: Anirion Conversion
      Conversion breakdown:
      -Reshaped hood and sleeves
      -Smoothed out cloak to remove border
      -Removed staff and bag?
      -Repositioned arms 
      -Added light saber out of styrene and metal piece
      -Added some strands of hair
      -Resculpted hands

• Who's Online   26 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)