Sign in to follow this  

02737, Dung Monster

I agree, adding the extra tentacles makes it look even better.

Good paintjob too!

• Like 1

This Fellow & his predecessor are SPLENDIDLY painted creations...the older version does have an edge in that it is BEAUTIFULLY based. Your choice of colors is OUTSTANDING as is your deft work with the brush. ..I love the teeth & claws. VERY WELL DONE!

• Like 1

Hi everyone, thanks for your comments I appreciate. I was not sure about the conversion at first, but now that it's painted I do like it a lot too.

I also prefer when minis are mounted on nice thematic bases. The reason I didn't set this one on a base yet, is because it's supposed to be part of a diorama.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Geoff Davis
      This is Frorigh.  Another one resurrected from my shelf of shame (27 left).  WIP thread here:  Frorigh WIP

• By Geoff Davis
      02599: Frorigh, Frost Giant  Jason Wiebe  P65 version
      This is another one from my shelf of shame.  He has been there since around 2011.  

He ended up on the shelf of shame for several reasons.  One was that I couldn't blend the greens to save my life.  I still can't, actually, and I gave up.  He is the P65 version so he also weighs a lot.  I'm not sure exactly how much, probably more than a pound.  Every time I picked him up I put him back down.  I've had a couple of injuries over the last few years (broken wrist, compressed bone in my other arm) which made holding a heavy mini like this not fun. 
      I also had problems envisioning what he was supposed to look like finished.  No inspiring vision, not fun to hold, progressively worse paint job, so he was abandoned. 
      However, I have now run out of relatively easy paint jobs on my shelf of shame and its time to face a tougher one.  So I am committed to getting him done.  No quitting allowed. 
      I went looking for inspiration and found this incredible rendition of Frorigh by @Pingo:  Frorigh by Pingo
      It reminded me of this day:

That's me.  Standing on a hilltop just below the Arctic Circle on Baffin Island.  At noon.  In January 2000.  It was about -30 C.  So like an idiot I took off my glove for a macho pose.  Lots of pink and blue in that picture, much like the lighting Pingo used on her rendition of Frorigh.  It inspired me to make a spring rendition instead.  in the spring the sun is still low on the horizon, but the light is intense, and it's relatively warm.  As soon as the snow melts enough to expose the ground, the flowers start blooming.  Behind the snow drifts and rocks, there are still long dark blue shadows.
      So, I have decided to do my rendition of Frorigh with the light shining as though the sun is low on the horizon shining down directly on top of his helmet.  I'm going to add a couple of extra snow banks.  I'm also going to try to put some appropriate small flowers on the base between the shadows.  Directional lighting effects from the low sun.  SENMM on the shield boss and helmet.  Okay, here we go.
    • By Pochi
      This was my entry for the Quarterly Painting Contest on Facebook. I pictured him as some twisted villain's pet so he got a food dish and a toy! (Officially known as the Tennis Ball of Fetching!) I have a love of puns and F-eye-do cracked me up so I had to paint his name on his food dish.
      I made him removable from the funny base and also made the ball removable. This way he can still chomp adventurers!
      The contest was a blast and out of 70 entries, no two were painted alike. So many color schemes and different eyeballs! It makes me want to get a lot more eyebeasts and recreate some of the awesome paint jobs from the contest. (My players might cry! I fully expect one of their characters to purchase a ball and carry it around in their packs...just in case!)
      Thanks for looking and C&C welcome!

• By Geoff Davis
      "Hey Galadon, your colossus is playing whack-a-mole on the golf course again!"
      Or some other silly caption.  Many suitable possibilities.  The runner ups were "Almost!" and "How many hit points does this familiar have?"
      This guy has been on my shelf of shame pretty much since I received the first Bones Kickstarter.  He was one of the first Bones I tried to paint and I learned a lot from starting on him and giving up several times. 
      But now he's done (or as done as I can force myself to make him... the base probably needs some more love). 
      31 more projects on the shelf of shame!  Thankfully only three more of them are large figures. 

• By Maledrakh
      The bimonthly resolutionary challenge in the Reaper forums is to get about 4-5 minis painted each month, and also there are some bonus challenges. This February, like last year, one of the bonus challenges is to paint a minature with your fingers. No brushes allowed. And no fingers of other, smaller people either. And it needs to be a creature, not scenery.
      Challenge accepted. Again.
      Last year I fingerpainted this:

77368 Shadow Demon
      This year, I am doing this:

The Bones 2 “77372 Burrowing Horror”. Basically a teeny tiny Tarrasque. Technically I probably should have done the primer with my fingers as well, but seeing as it was undercoated by spraycan many moons ago, there have not been any brushes on it. So there.
      In preparation for this, I have let my fingernails grow a couple of weeks…since my fingertips are way to big to get at any details at all…but a fingernail, both edge and torn, does the trick!

These are the colours I used for this. I picked them as I went along, only having a vague idea of how this was going to end up.
      The miniature was baseless, so I made a base for it:

Bespoke 3D printed 80 x 55 mm oval lipped base.
      Starting by dipping my finger in a pool of Scalecolor Heavy Metal (=midtone silver) I wiped the finger a bit and “drybrushed” the whole model with a movement from front to back on the model. A few goes at this covered nicely:

This was followed by a highlight of Army Painter Shining Silver on the ridges and main plated of the head and tail, taking care to not cover up all the Heavy Metal.

After that, some Vallejo Game Color Glorious Gold on the claws

I mixed some heavy metal with the gold to create a highlight color, which I dabbed on the tips of the claws. I also tried to do the teeth in gold with the edge of a fingernail, but this did not turn out too well.
      Tearing a fingernail, I used the point to paint the teeth individually, and also did the eyes in Vallejo Game Color Magic Blue, highlighted with a small dot of ancient Hobby Game Products Blue 005. The nail broke off, and I had to tear me a new one.

This I then used to clean up some areas with black lining and fixing bits I had missed or slopped the wrong color on.

I finished with some blobs of Vallejo Green Ink on the sides and underneath.
      Then I had to fix all the spots of green that had gotten where they should not be.
      And then I had to fix all the metal that had rubbed off here and there with my handling of the mini.
      The base:

A thick layer of Army Painter Walking Dead Dirt Spatter, followed by Reaper Pure Black on the rim.
      After this was dry, I marked where the feet would be by dabbing some lighter brown on the soles of the feet and holding it to the base. This was followed by a globbing on of thinned down PVA woodworking glue to the base surface with my finger again. A couple of tufts were added straight into the wet glue and then I dipped the whole shebang in my box of flockmix.
      Gently clearing flock from where the feet were to go, I put some superglue in the general areas and placed the miniature on the base, and it was done:

Painted by hand. In the most literal sense.
      All in all, a fun couple of hours of getting messy fingers.  Mostly waiting for the paint to dry whilst frantically wiping at my tacky paws to get the paint off.
      And at last I got to cut my fingernails down to their proper place again! Cardboard boxes being the sworn enemy of fingernails, they caused a couple of casualties at work today.
  • Who's Online   30 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)