haldir

Warhammer 40k at Revell Germany....whaaa??

67 posts in this topic

Decided to look into Revell's other brand site the other day,

http://www.revell.de/en/home.html

Which is the Revell of Germany brand.

If you hover over the Product name you'll come across something mightily odd at least in modeling terms, Warhammer 40k kits. I'm not sure how long they've had a contract to produce kit which since I've not bought a 40k product in decades but looking at the kits they look like normal, current 40k kits. It does give GW some exposure in modeling shop that don't carry rpg or mini products.

2 people like this

Looks like the packaging I've seen in stores. Currently. I had no idea Revell was doing that.

May be a deal to increase product exposure as said above. Revell.de repackages a lot of kits for the German & wider markets. Used to be a lot of Italeri kits, but these days they're repackaging a lot of Eastern European/Russian kits for the domestic market, so they are an old hand at this...

Damon.

1 person likes this

Well, GW has been reversing course on a lot of bad decisions they made over the last 15 years. Heck, they're even allowing GW products to be sold online by third parties again! So I wouldn't be surprised if some kind of deal was struck to increase exposure.

2 people like this

14 hours ago, Unruly said:

Well, GW has been reversing course on a lot of bad decisions they made over the last 15 years. Heck, they're even allowing GW products to be sold online by third parties again! So I wouldn't be surprised if some kind of deal was struck to increase exposure.

It is still amazing to me how fast things are turning around for them - it very much looks like it came down to two people, in top positions, making bad decisions that were bringing the entire company down.

The Auld Grump

4 people like this

I gave up on GW games 10+ years ago for a variety of reasons. A large one was them seeming to do everything they could to spite their customers. While I'm not ready to return to them yet I'm happy to see the turn around.

2 people like this

They make fine product, but it seemed like they went out of their way to spit in their customers' faces. And they still ain't cheap.

5 people like this

Are these the old kits that GW redid for hobby stores, like Michael's?

I know Grump was looking for them when we had the Gorka Morka game.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

They make fine product, but it seemed like they went out of their way to spit in their customers' faces. And they still ain't cheap.

They're making strides towards that in some areas. For instance, I just bought an Age of Sigmar starter box for $30 and it had a total of 13 figures in it. That's less than $3 per mini, which puts them right in the Bones price range. Now, they still have unit packs where you'll be spending about $10/mini, but from what I can tell they're releasing more and more box sets at lower prices. They just aren't bringing down the old single unit pack prices, probably to avoid pissing off retailers who would now be taking a loss by having to heavily mark down existing stock.

Edited by Unruly
4 people like this

12 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Are these the old kits that GW redid for hobby stores, like Michael's?

I know Grump was looking for them when we had the Gorka Morka game.

Yep, it's the re-packaged older sets. They're in coloured plastic, mostly snap-fit, and are aimed at total noobs to gaming. They're on sale in the UK in various toy and model stores, and the 'Game' chain of video game stores too.

GW are making a lot of good moves at the moment, which will hopefully help grow the minis gaming market for the rest of us... :poke:

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Back when Rogue Trader was new and shiny, you could buy it in bookstores- I bought mine from Booksmith.

When the Lord of the Rings movies were in theaters, you could buy the game at Waldenbooks.

In the last ten years or so, the guy in charge decided that going direct - either online or via the GW stores chain - was the way to maximize profits, even if it meant declining sales.

So they did things like set terms preventing online retailers from showing their products, or allowing their products to be added to an online cart system.

A whole lot of their sillier actions come down to maximizing profits over increasing sales.

Advertising costs money - so if we sell only to people that already know about us, we don't need advertising! (One of the first things Rountree did was start advertising again. On buses, of all things.)

If people can't buy from online retailers, they'll buy directly from us! (One of the most recent things that Rountree has done has been allowing online retailers to have images and carts.)

If people are buying from us anyway, we don't need sales and discounts! They will buy everything at full price! (Guess what? Rountree started releasing bundles... at a discount. And having occasional sales as well.)

And it really did not take long at all for Rountree's policies to turn things back around - I would have expected a much longer lead time before seeing an increase in sales.

It had reached the point where stockholder reports were describing decreasing sales as 'broadly in line with expectations'.

If you are expecting sales to continue decreasing, then there is a problem.

Having GW/Revell kits in hobby stores? That is exposure - it brings in a new audience, and hopefully leads to increasing sales.

The Auld Grump - I was fully expecting GW to collapse in the next ten years or so - that they would fail to take the actions needed to increase sales.

Edited by TheAuldGrump
6 people like this

If Kirby's plans had continued, it would not have surprised me in the least to see GW go under. He was the one who said that GW's business wasn't in making games, but in making "collectibles" and that the vast majority of their customers didn't care about games at all and just wanted to throw cash at them for the figures. Which just shows a massive disconnect in my mind, because while I know a few people(myself somewhat included) who buy a handful of GW models because they're neat looking, most people I know who buy them have at least some interest in playing when the purchase is made. That interest just tended to disappear as soon as they realize just how many overpriced figures they're going to have to buy in order to do anything.

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

The last two boxes I bought cost me $49 and $160 (not including sales tax and the FLGS' military/veteran discount - he's a vet too).  The $49 box contained 28 figures, one of which was a Dreadnought and another a Deffkopta, and a very simplified rules pamphlet.  Of the remaining figures you get enough to start playing.  The $160 box is the latest starter box which includes over 50 figures (one is a small vehicle), a hardcover rulebook (retails for like $60 on it's own, a couple booklets, and snazzy box art.  Once you account for the cost of the non-miniature items in the box it's a good deal.  In both cases the per model cost is approximate to Bones, it's just that you need more models than a typical adventuring party.  Doing an army in Bones for Warlord or Dragon Rampant isn't very cheap either due to the number of figures needed, even worse if you use metal.

Edited to add: where you do pay through the nose is individual models and units.

Edited by Sergeant_Crunch
3 people like this

I wonder if having Revell as a distributor inside the EU is a means of coping with the potential effects of BrExit?

On 6/30/2017 at 6:08 AM, Unruly said:

If Kirby's plans had continued, it would not have surprised me in the least to see GW go under. He was the one who said that GW's business wasn't in making games, but in making "collectibles" and that the vast majority of their customers didn't care about games at all and just wanted to throw cash at them for the figures. Which just shows a massive disconnect in my mind, because while I know a few people(myself somewhat included) who buy a handful of GW models because they're neat looking, most people I know who buy them have at least some interest in playing when the purchase is made. That interest just tended to disappear as soon as they realize just how many overpriced figures they're going to have to buy in order to do anything.

Part of that has to do with UK IP law - toys and games have a much shorter design IP life in the UK than art collectibles do. (George Lucas discovered this the hard way.)

Kirby and Merrit had some... odd ideas in regards to IP - and no real understanding of how the laws pertaining actually work.

And the attorneys that they hired did not help them, instead encouaging GW to dump millions into a case that was inherently unwinnable. (Not a dig at lawyers in general - the folks that GW was suing had a great deal of pro bono representation, some of them top notch.)

There is a thread on Dakka dealing with the GW suit against Chapterhouse Games, which is entertaining for the more cynical among us.... *Waves hand*

The Auld Grump

On 6/30/2017 at 8:03 AM, TGP said:

I wonder if having Revell as a distributor inside the EU is a means of coping with the potential effects of BrExit?

If this ties in with GW's lower priced kits for hobby stores, it was going on for a while before BrExit was a thing.

The Auld Grump

3 people like this