Sign in to follow this  
Reverend Shartan

Top Secret Espionage RPG

kickstarter-top-secret-new-world-order.html

From the man who started it all back in 1980..... Merle M. Rasmussen.

An updated version of the orginal spy rpg.

Reverend Shartan

Edited by Reverend Shartan
  • Like 2

Already funded in fifteen minutes. Yeah, I'm in.

I was actually just perusing the original book the other morning and thinking about reviving it.  Weird ...

Oh no, I missed the early bird for the vintage TSR miniatures.  I like how they actually included a photo demonstrating that these were the possible nadir of the entire universe of miniature art.

I admired how Rasmussen was so DEDICATED to his game. I remember "The Floating Island Mission," in which he put an amount of effort and detail into an adventure that made professional published game modules look slapdash... for an adventure published for free in Dragon magazine. And ALL his stuff was like that.

• Like 2

Like many games in the "old days" we made characters & then shelved the game...sigh

I may have to back this one.

I loved Top Secret, back in the day - it was, in my very young opinion, the best set of rules that TSR was producing at that time - better than Gamma World. Better than Boot Hill. Better than Metamorphosis Alpha. And better than that other game they had... what was its name again...? Oh, yeah, AD&D!

I love a good spy game - and there have been some excellent ones - Top Secret, James Bond, and both versions of SpyCraft. (SpyCraft 2.0 is my go-to rules for modern gaming.)

I am psyched for this!

The Auld Grump

I played it back in the day.  Though I'm pretty sure rules were loosely interpreted for reasons of cool.

I've added it to my "stalker" list on KS.  I'll watch the hour long video.... tomorrow?  I really hope there are good rules for social interaction.  It looks like the d12 gets some love, but I'm also wondering if the new system plays like alternity where your skill is a die rather than a number.  I figure i'll know tomorrow.

Also, REALLY not missing those minis.  I would put them into a melt exchange with nary a second thought.  They were cool in the day, but it's been 30+ years.  The bar has raised considerably since then.

1 hour ago, mikem91 said:

It looks like the d12 gets some love, but I'm also wondering if the new system plays like alternity where your skill is a die rather than a number.

It looks that way - the description in the campaign page describes rolling 3 dice of varying size where you are always trying to beat 13. Not sure how that will work in play, sounds a bit clunky. But whatever, spies are cool. (Spycraft was always on my list of stuff to try but never got a quorum for a group.)

Was the TSR trademark up for grabs at some point? I would have assumed it went with D&D and all the rest of their IP to WotC.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SamuraiJack

About

Welcome to our 28mm Resin Mythology Kickstarter!
      The Atlantis Team would like to thank you for your support and consideration in joining us on our next project!
      How to Pledge!
      Choose your minis!
      You can start with the box option for the best savings or build your own custom order! Every mini in this Kickstarter can be bought separately! Add to your pledge amount for any stretch goals you want (Once they're unlocked) Simply increase your pledge amount! After the project you will receive a website link and a Voucher Code: 
      Follow the link, add your items to the cart and input your code on checkout!  In the final checkout you can pick any items to the value of your pledge, and change your mind on what you want. You can add to your pledge after the kickstarter. Simply pay the difference on checkout! Voucher Codes and website link will be emailed to you approximately 1-2 weeks after the kickstarter! Shipping is charged during checkout via our website (prices at bottom of page) Shipping Date: November 2018
      We have decided to give ourselves plenty of time for this campaign. our goal is to deliver early based on the recent performance of our larger Dwarf Kickstarter. We'd rather be early than late, hence the duration of this campaign :)!

Stretch Goals will be unlocked as we hit funding goals. Goals will be defined shortly. Part of the fun is working towards something. So we will coordinate the funding goals for a fun campaign!

Stretch-Goal Add-On: Pledge must be increased for all backers who want to add the item to their pledge.

Stretch Goal Freebie/KS Exclusive: A free addition to box set backers. For non box set backers you can still order it at the defined price.

Stretch Goal Reveal: We will reveal artwork for a stretch goal that is not yet on show or unhide the silhouetted image. The unlock will be a separate stretch goal! Just for fun!

• By animesensei
      Just found this on Kickstarter; thoughts some here with 3D printers might be interested.

Project Link

• By SamuraiJack

About
      MAKE UNLIMITED CUSTOM GAMING BASES FOR PENNIES !!  =D
      MULTIPLE ROUND SIZES AVAILABLE (to start ^ ^) Hello, Folks ! It's Me again! =D
      During My FRAME-WERX Kickstarter I promised the Backers that I'd launch another one before Year's end for 3D PRINTABLE CUSTOM BASING FILES, so HERE WE ARE ^ ^
      Now this is pretty straight forward. I'm always trying to get more people into 3D PRINTING as the tech becomes more affordable and accessible to Everyone, so these are HIGH DETAIL CUSTOM BASES (bigger pics later below) designed EASY TO PRINT for the Hobby Enthusiast in MULTIPLE SIZES.
      20, 25, 30, 32, 40, 50, 60, 80, AND 120mm FOR STARTERS !!
      The idea here is that Anyone into 3D Printing or THINKING of getting into 3D Printing can get CUSTOM FILES for Their Gaming at  MERE PENNIES and can MAKE AS MANY AS THEY WANT for personal use!  =D
      Basically, ALL DESIGNS are broken down into sets of 9 sizes to start and sorted by FANTASY or SCI-FI genre. ANY/ALL SETS are available as single rewards to Backers incase Anyone only wants one or two.

FANTASY SETS currently available.  

SCI-FI SETS currently available.  

BLANKS SET for the "Classic Gamer"  

• By Orlando_the_Technicoloured
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hystericalgames/spitfyre-aerial-combat-in-the-skies-of-panzerfaust

About
      Welcome to The Land and the world of Spitfyre, our exciting game of aerial warfare in a fantasy world. Enter a world where Dwarves and Orcs fly giant creatures and arm them with bombs and machine guns to continue their millennia long struggles... Come fight in the skies of Spitfyre and see if you can reign supreme over The Land!
      Spitfyre is a fun 'Historo-Fantasy' miniature aerial wargame in which 10mm scale miniatures are used to depict the everyday struggles of standard fantasy races such as Orcs and Dwarves fight out battles with 20th century weaponry.
      We are keeping this Kickstarter very simple with three basic pledge levels. The key one is 'Pilot' where pledgers will receive a discounted copy of the core game and ALL stretch goals added in FREE of charge.
      THE TARGET - £1000
      Spitfyre - the core game The target goal is to produce the core game which will include the rulebook, a flight of three 10mm scale resin Orc Spitfyre wyverns, a flight of four 10mm scale polyurethane resin Dwarf War-Eagles and seven flying bases.
      STRETCH GOAL I - £1500
      If we reach Stretch Goal I, all Pilot backers will have one polyurethane resin 10mm scale Dwarf KampfGrier 87 vulture dive bomber and flying base added to their pledge for free and the rules will be extended to include dive bombing.
       More Stretch Goals to come...

one of the dwarf war eagles fresh from the mould with no clean up
    • By SamuraiJack

About
      LATEST UPDATE: TELEPORTERS
      Core Space is a deluxe fully modular three dimensional board game for 1 to 6 players. The game can be played as single missions or campaigns with each player in charge of a team of traders, their sole objective, to survive in a dangerous galaxy!  
      Each of your characters can be levelled up with new skills and equipment to help them in their mission, but it will not be easy. The rival teams, gangs and the Galactic Corporation will hinder your every step... but the real threat is the ever expanding plague of synthetic life forms that are slowly purging the galaxy of all life...  
      Play using our unique 'real search' system and advance your characters between games. It's fast to set up, fast to play, and fully compatible with all the Battle Systems terrain products. To win you will need to follow the trader credo: salvage, trade, adapt and survive...
      + + +
      The rulebook will feature a number of short stories set in the Core Space universe, you can download Rescue on Daedalus here.
      You can download the V1.0 Beta rules here.
      To find out more please check out our Facebook page and blog.
      +++
      UPDATE: Xanadib's trusty pledge calculator, V1.

What's in the box...  
      The crew of the Ion Hope - Roykirk, Arianna and Gak  
      The crew of the Black Maria - Renton, Jace and Lars  
      Chaaaaarrrrgggeee!!!!!!  

• Who's Online   34 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)