SamuraiJack

Live
A song of Ice and Fire - July

44 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

About this project

b36d7661f33d7a169c8b49e29291e488_origina

a632c83775d89186c6f39ba1ced6bce0_origina

A Song of Ice & Fire: Tabletop Miniatures Game is a competitive miniatures game for two or more players. Each player controls one of the Great Houses of Westeros, commanding battlefield units, recruiting legendary Heroes, and manipulating the political stage, in the attempt to claim the greatest prize of all: The Iron Throne. Featuring House Stark and House Lannister, the Starter Set comes with over one hundred amazing, preassembled miniatures that are ready to play out of the box! All-new sculpts are based off original art created for the game by our crew under the direct supervision of George R.R. Martin and Dark Sword Miniatures, to ensure that the game delivers what fans have been envisioning for years.

The Stark vs Lannister Starter Set is a perfect introduction to a new miniatures game. With accessible and streamlined gameplay designed by Eric M. Lang and Michael ShinallA Song of Ice and Fire: Tabletop Miniatures Game features 5 different Game Modes, Army Building and Customization options, and choices of Commanders and Attachments. This Set packs a lot of gameplay for 2 players!

An example of the Starter Set miniatures painted. Note that minis come unpainted! An example of the Starter Set miniatures painted. Note that minis come unpainted!

The loyal followers of the Direwolf Banner rally to defend the North! Miniatures come unpainted. The loyal followers of the Direwolf Banner rally to defend the North! Miniatures come unpainted.

Just before starting a game, players must build their armies, based on an agreed upon amount of points. Using these points, players forge the core of their army with powerful  Combat Units, such as the Stark Sworn Swords or Lannister Guards into their army. Each of these units has its own strengths and weaknesses.

3D Render of the Stark Sworn Swords. 2 copies of this unit are included in the Starter Set! 3D Render of the Stark Sworn Swords. 2 copies of this unit are included in the Starter Set!

3D Render of the Lannister Guards. 2 copies of this unit are included in the Starter Set! 3D Render of the Lannister Guards. 2 copies of this unit are included in the Starter Set!

Combat Unit cards Combat Unit cards

ef2bea9ccf0747f5122ad757f0af9d71_origina

Attachments

A player can also augment these units with powerful Attachments, which range from generic additions, like the Lannister Guard Captain, to legendary figures such as Ser Gregor Clegane: The Mountain.

3D Renders of Robb Stark, Grey Wind and Ser Gregor 'The Mountain' Clegane 3D Renders of Robb Stark, Grey Wind and Ser Gregor 'The Mountain' Clegane

Greatjon Umber attached to the Umber Berserkers Greatjon Umber attached to the Umber Berserkers

Edited by SamuraiJack

Based on the books and not the show?

Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Based on the books and not the show?

Correct (according to the preview videos I saw)

I will be following this one with great interest. However, I'm pretty sure I won't back as I am already playing Infinity, Guild Ball, and (soon) Relic Knights. Also, rank and file miniatures games don't interest me as much as skirmish level games do.

Edited by paedia

I am interested in this. Already told the wife she was getting it for me... Don't know if I will play the game but the minis look nice. There is someone on face book that comments on every pic they show about how the mini doesn't match his idea of the what the book has it look like.... like Oh they would not have round shields... or the soldiers would not have coats, or Cersei would not have such a low cut dress.... If rivet counters like that make the minis look like regular dark age soldiers and bland out any flavor then I am out... but otherwise I am excited for this...

2 people like this

Unless there is a Ser Duncan the Tall miniature I'm not interested :). 

Announced today that this will launch July 25 at 3:00pm EST.

2 people like this

On 28.6.2017 at 3:11 AM, Smokestack said:

There is someone on face book that comments on every pic they show about how the mini doesn't match his idea of the what the book has it look like.... like Oh they would not have round shields... or the soldiers would not have coats, or Cersei would not have such a low cut dress.... If rivet counters like that make the minis look like regular dark age soldiers and bland out any flavor then I am out... but otherwise I am excited for this...

Eh... The minis are made by Dark Sword, and all the minis in their George R. R. Martin Masterworks series(whih are all based on the books) are all approved by George R. R. Martin himself. He is in fact an avid collector himself... 

One of us, in other words. But I don't know if he's here on this forum.

So anyone who disagrees with how a miniature in that line looks is actually disagreeing with the creator of the books! The man who thought up ever one of the characters...   

I think we can assume that the minis will be awesome...  

(I'm not going to back, but that's mostly because the ratio of female minis / game cost will be in my disfavour.)

1 person likes this

On 6/27/2017 at 9:11 PM, Smokestack said:

Oh they would not have round shields... or the soldiers would not have coats, or Cersei would not have such a low cut dress.... If rivet counters like that make the minis look like regular dark age soldiers and bland out any flavor then I am out... but otherwise I am excited for this...

Wait, what? We're talking about a book series where people have jewel-encrusted jousting armor. And there's a round shield in Dorne's Heraldry.

10 minutes ago, etherial said:

Wait, what? We're talking about a book series where people have jewel-encrusted jousting armor. And there's a round shield in Dorne's Heraldry.

Yeah, the guy points out that the series is bases on the War of the Roses, and thus thinks that all armor and dress should reflect that. I have not been following the facebook page regularly but have checked a couple times and no longer see him posting. Wonder if they blocked him or other commenters forced him out. I like the looks of the minis. I hope they do make some leaps and don't feel they have to follow 100% book only. I saw there was controversy over the wording of "beserker" as a name for a unit because no "beserkers" are in the book. But as I would be backing only for the minis and not for the game, I am not bothered by any of that... I also like that these look to be one piece models. After super fidly and complex multipart minis I for one welcome our one piece miniature overlords and look forward to serving them in any manner they deem fit.

Bad timing. We know Bones IV is in August, the new Shieldwolf Kickstarter will be in August/September. CMON has not yet delivered Massive Darkness (not to mention Rising Sun). I was quite underwhelmed with the latest Zombicide Green Horde (because I did not really care for a number of stretch goal survivors and because of the price point).

I'm very interested as I love the books, but CMON will have to really work hard to get my money (not that they'll need it).

So the story is inspired by the War of The Roses...   

Should the cowboys in 'The Magnificent Seven' or the heroes of 'Battle Beyond The Stars' run around in Japanese Feudal Armor and attack their opponents with swords, just because they're inspired by 'Seven Samurai'?

Prince Valiant is supposed to have the action happening in the 5th century... Ad he's a Viking son... There's viking longships, there's stuff from the renaissance...  and in the earlier stories there's dragons and other monsters... 

I trust Dark Sword to to a great job on the minis. 

And maybe  I'll pick up a few of them later. ;-)

3 people like this

6 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

So the story is inspired by the War of The Roses...   

Should the cowboys in 'The Magnificent Seven' or the heroes of 'Battle Beyond The Stars' run around in Japanese Feudal Armor and attack their opponents with swords, just because they're inspired by 'Seven Samurai'?

Prince Valiant is supposed to have the action happening in the 5th century... Ad he's a Viking son... There's viking longships, there's stuff from the renaissance...  and in the earlier stories there's dragons and other monsters... 

I trust Dark Sword to to a great job on the minis. 

And maybe  I'll pick up a few of them later. ;-)

I completely agree. Especially when it comes to Fantasy (be it Swords and charging horses or Light sabers and space fighters). "Inspired by" should not mean must follow... In D&D we had Vikings and dark age knights in the same world as pirates and pirate ships with cannons.... Guys in Full Plate next to line troops in Banded mail and chain. Guys in Greek inspired breast plates fighting with great swords. Etc, etc...

In my pathfinder game I have a Religious group that hates magic, and basically have equipment and battle formations like the English CIvil war Cavaliers. And in the same world as Barbarian hordes and lower "tech" magic based societies...

I guess if you do only collect and play in one tight time frame than adherence is important. But don't expect that kind of adherence in a fantasy game based on a fantasy book series that has Zombies and Dragons...

1 hour ago, Knight of the Dinner Table said:

Bad timing. We know Bones IV is in August, the new Shieldwolf Kickstarter will be in August/September. CMON has not yet delivered Massive Darkness (not to mention Rising Sun). I was quite underwhelmed with the latest Zombicide Green Horde (because I did not really care for a number of stretch goal survivors and because of the price point).

I'm very interested as I love the books, but CMON will have to really work hard to get my money (not that they'll need it).

Yeah. I did end up backing Green Horde. I kind of have buyers remorse. I was only really interested in a couple figures. This one looks good to me. But it will depend on the value. I will be using these in my pathfinder game, so personalities and lots of regular troops is what I am hoping for.

Bones 4, and Shield maidens 2 is definitely a factor though.

2 people like this

I figure I can always turn around and sell Green Horde.  I wasn't expecting this until Fall, and spent the money I would have on this on Horde.   Bones 4 may hurt, but I'm hoping it will not be Bones 3 kind of hurt.  

I only backed Green Horde for a buck ... so I have a lot of time to consider what I really want. At the moment, it looks like I might sell off half of the stretch goal survivors and a couple of abominations - which would considerably lower my costs ...

I really only went in on Green Horde to get the Deadeye Walkers (which seem to get sold out everywhere).  But as for this one, I just don't think I'm interested.  And lets not forget that SMOG is still outstanding too.