SamuraiJack

Live
A song of Ice and Fire - July

63 posts in this topic

When does this start?!  Has it started?

This would be my first true KS, having gone through my FLGS to get the KS for Green Horde and Rising Sun.  Which is nice though because I do not have to pay for these until they release which gives me money to spend on this and save for those.

I didn't think this was happening until like October.  (I may have made that up in my head)

CMON doesn't talk much after funding, but they deliver.

I think Song will be fine for my generic human army. The non-weapon bearing miniatures should be useful as nobles and other NPCs. 

Gotta say it's pretty smart of them to drop this KS right as Winter arrives! (Season 7 of GoT)  Get everyone while they are excited for the show.

How good is CMON at hitting their delivery dates?  Are they usually pretty on time?  

I backed a couple of their KS ... with Blood Rage they were on time, Black Plague was mostly on time, too. Others like Massive Darkness are late ... but nothing really major.

Typically you need to add 2-3 months for the non-US fulfilment too (although from your location that's not going to matter for you)

The first book especially is based off War of the Roses. Tyrion is *so* similar to King Richard III, Cersei to Elizabeth Woodrow, and many other character correlations. The general events are similar but not 100% parallel. 

The Red Wedding was based off a Scottish event in history. 

The Dothraki are influenced by the Mongolians. 

GRRM shamelessly pilfers history for his books. Which makes the books good, but they're pretty fun when you nitpick where the inspirations are from. 

1 person likes this

52 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

The first book especially is based off War of the Roses. Tyrion is *so* similar to King Richard III, Cersei to Elizabeth Woodrow, and many other character correlations. The general events are similar but not 100% parallel. 

The Red Wedding was based off a Scottish event in history. 

The Dothraki are influenced by the Mongolians. 

GRRM shamelessly pilfers history for his books. Which makes the books good, but they're pretty fun when you nitpick where the inspirations are from. 

Some years ago I read an unintentionally funny interview with George R. R. Martin where he was claiming historical precedent for his books while twisting any which way he could to avoid naming the Houses of York and Lancaster or the Wars of the Roses.  I don't remember any more what medieval wars he talked about instead but it was pretty funny given how directly his books were reskinning the Wars of the Roses and all their major players.  It felt a little bit like he wanted to be sure we knew this was based on reality without letting on how directly he had lifted it.  

Which is not to condemn him for it or anything.  He did a good job translating history to a fantasy world. It was just kind of funny to see.

4 people like this

44 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Some years ago I read an unintentionally funny interview with George R. R. Martin where he was claiming historical precedent for his books while twisting any which way he could to avoid naming the Houses of York and Lancaster or the Wars of the Roses.  I don't remember any more what medieval wars he talked about instead but it was pretty funny given how directly his books were reskinning the Wars of the Roses and all their major players.  It felt a little bit like he wanted to be sure we knew this was based on reality without letting on how directly he had lifted it.  

Which is not to condemn him for it or anything.  He did a good job translating history to a fantasy world. It was just kind of funny to see.

I actually appreciate the historical tie ins a lot. He does it more subtly than Harry Turtledove who goes right into deliberate alternate history or WW2-but-fantasy (which is also fun). GRRM picks pieces smoothly.

1 person likes this

Does anyone know if there are any previews of the miniatures?  I think there might be some on the Book of Faces but I don't have an account so I can't see them.

Image result for cmon song of fire and ice

Image result for cmon song of fire and ice

3 people like this

This starts tomorrow. Excited for the start but still not 100% sure I am backing. It looks like it will be a big kickstarter as I read over 100 minis in the base game before stretch goals and addons factor in. Speculation on Dakka puts base pledge between $120-$150 dollars. Which I bet when all is said and done with stretch goals will still be a fantastic deal. 

1 hour ago, Smokestack said:

This starts tomorrow. Excited for the start but still not 100% sure I am backing. It looks like it will be a big kickstarter as I read over 100 minis in the base game before stretch goals and addons factor in. Speculation on Dakka puts base pledge between $120-$150 dollars. Which I bet when all is said and done with stretch goals will still be a fantastic deal. 

As I understand it they are planning on keeping the add ons and stretch goals pretty limited on this one. They want to make this a monthly release sort of game like x-wing and don't want backers having access to things in the release schedule early.

I'll wait and see. As much as I like the books, I'm not interested in the game and armored spear-/swordsmen I only need a handful. I'm also not a big fan of CMON at the moment for various reasons.

Man I am super excited for this but with a price tag of $120-$150 it might be a bit pricey for me.  Plus I have Green Horde and Rising Sun coming, maybe that's enough CMON.

We'll see though.  If this doesn't get my money maybe I'll get in on Bone 4 as I missed the first 3.