Eclipt

Almaran the Gold, Paladin

17 posts in this topic

As far as I can tell, it looks amazing. The color assemblage works super well.

Could you post another photo zoomed in more perhaps? Don't feel too bad on that - I struggle on photos too, fling that right back at me on posts later :)

My only critique is to crop those photos in a bit.  The figure is the important part, not big fields of black around it.

Of course ... this is about as much detail as I would see on the figure in real life, on the table top (on my screen, it comes out to pretty close to 1:1 scale of image to figure height) so it's probably a pretty good reference in terms of determining "tabletop worthiness," so there's that, too.  :)

I cropped and uploaded the photos separately in the first post. I think they appear better now.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

They are better, I saw the old versions before posting this.

First, let me say that I think this is incredible work from top to bottom, so take the following only as the constructive criticism you asked for and, take it with the grain of salt that I know photography can be a strange bugaboo and what we see may not actually be exactly what the mini looks like in person.

I think if you want something to work on, the transition between colors in the flames could be a little smoother.  The red reads a little too magenta-ish and doesn't seem to quite flow from the yellow and orange.  (But again, I recognize that that could just be a camera color issue.)

Welcome!

Edited by Pineapple
1 person likes this

Indeed, this figure is quite outstanding! The freehand on the scarfish thing is great. I truly enjoy the togetherness of this one :) 

Your painting on the figure is very well done, but to me, your basing composition doesn't seem to fit the figure. The NMM is very solid. The fire effect is well done (a bit of reflection on the highest highlight of the armor closest to the fire would help sell it a bit too). But the base seems like a bit of an after thought honestly rather than a compliment.

2 hours ago, Pineapple said:

I think if you want something to work on, the transition between colors in the flames could be a little smoother.  The red reads a little too magenta-ish and doesn't seem to quite flow from the yellow and orange.  (But again, I recognize that that could just be a camera color issue.)

A bit of a darker red and some black at the edges would fix it.

2 people like this

honestly, the mini looks great.  i wish i had a better look at the shield because it looks like you gave it some love.  the base is going to give me nightmares, though.  is he on a cake?  what's going on there?

He looks awesome. I like your color choices. The only thing I might add is a tiny bit of white to the hottest part of your flames and a little OSL where the light from the flames would be on his arm and shoulder. Nicely painted figure!

Wow!

That's a great way to introduce yourself!

Very good job!

Welcome to the boards!

That's a very nicely painted figure.:winkthumbs:

Ha, there is absolutely nothing about this which I am qualified to critique. Lovely work. Really like the non-metallic metals and the freehand details on the scarf/scrolls.

Posted (edited)

Good contrast, lovely freehand, superb highlighting.  The only thing that seems a little off to me are the flames:  I think it's because of the aesthetic choice you made to have the fuller as the source of the flame and the darker tones on the bottom of the blade itself don't read "right" to me:  if I'd done it that way, I probably would have left the bottom of the blade completely free of flames & painted to read as metallic and had the flames starting from the fuller itself, or painted the entire blade as the source with the brightest tones along the bottom of the blade.

I want to be clear that this is utter nit-picking from me:  it's approximately 10 times better than any of my feeble efforts, and has given me some ideas for my own paint job on this figure : )

Edited by Laoke

great job