18 posts in this topic
Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
By Patrick Benjamin
It's been almost 10 years since I picked up a brush for the first time and to celebrate I repainted my very first sculpt/conversion. My NMM are getting better, but cloth continues to be my kryptonite. Also, I'm not sure how to get rid of the cross-eyed effect? Maybe the pupil is too tall?
By Darius Glenwell
After almost a year of work, I've finally completed this piece. 2 hours each on the adventurers, about an hour each on the terrain pieces, and close to 6 hours on the dragon itself. A lot of different colors used, so I'm not even going to try to mention them all. The terrain is mostly dry brushed, and washes. The dragon has no dry brushing at all though. Everything else is either layered or blended painting. Thanks for looking! Enjoy! (And yes, that is my YouTube channel in the background. LOL)
I've mentioned here and there on here that I take part in an Aztec-themed D&D game. The DM is an archaeologist who specializes in pre-Columbian Mesoamerica, so the campaign has a really fun mixture of Aztec lore and standard D&D fare.
My character is an Oath of the Ancients paladin, which we've flavored as an Aztec Jaguar Warrior who worships Xochipilli.
Anyway, long story short, Aztec warriors often used a macuahuitl or maquahuitl in battle - a wooden baton edged with obsidian blades that acted a lot like a long sword. Some accounts even said they could decapitate a horse. When I found this cute jaguar hat (OK, OK, leopard, close enough...) on Amazon for a measly $4 shipped, I decided I couldn't pass up the opportunity to do a cheap low-key cosplay for laughs. Below are the work in progress pics of me hacking up and painting a dollar store foam saber with some cheap craft store acrylics to make a macuahuitl to go with my "jaguar pelt".
Standard issue dollar store toy sword.
Obsidian blades roughly marked out with a sharpie.
Spaces between the blades cut away with a box cutter.
I decided to go over the whole thing with a coat of white glue to fill in some of the pores and smooth some of the particularly rough areas where the foam got chewed up by the box cutter. In a perfect world I'd have given myself more time to work on this and used a foam cutter, but I didn't have the luxury of the former and I don't own the latter.
Mostly there on a base coat of light brown with the help of a certain five-year-old daughter. It would end up taking about 3 coats.
Obsidian blades done with gloss black. The handle still needs another coat or two, and I planned to wrap it in rough cotton yarn, but I couldn't find it. It's around here somewhere...
I should be able to finish it up tomorrow morning before our D&D session.
Who's Online 24 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)