Marc

To Seal or Not to Seal

29 posts in this topic

I know most people seal their metal minis once they've been painted, typically with something like Testor's Dull Coat.

I've read that, since the Bones material is not as rigid as metal (and is actually pretty bendy) sealing them can actually cause problems? I think with the seal cracking as the mini bends or something?

What's the consensus with sealing Bones? Is sealing necessary? Not necessary but couldn't hurt? Not recommended?

How many folks do seal them with something like Testor's Dull Coat and how many don't seal at all?

Thanks!!!

1 person likes this

I seal my Bones with Reaper's brush on sealer, never had any cracking.  I've heard of spray sealers causing tackiness, but Testors dullcote seems to not be one of them.

7 people like this

I use a Testors Model Masters matte spray lacquer, which I believe is one of the brands they sell dull cote under.  I've never had any tackiness or cracking, but my figures done see a lot of handling once they are finished.

I believe others seal with a gloss sealer and then a matte spray if the models are going to be handled a lot.

4 people like this

I've had problems with Testors spray. It's fine... until I get the figures out six months later. THEN they're tacky. Brush on matte sealer is more work, but I don't get the tacky.

3 people like this

I don't seal Bones but I use unthinned brown liner as an all-over primer coat so I have a lot of confidence in the paint staying put.  Sealing seems superfluous in that case, but in any other case I would use sealer - I'm just saving a step by betting the liner will do its job.  Dullcote spray works, but for a variety of reasons I'm switching to Reaper brush-on sealer.  Chief among these reasons are that Reaper sealer I can get by mail so further supply is assured, and also that spray dullcote is sensitive to environmental conditions so the opportunity windows to use it are few - about 3 weeks/year on average.  Brush-on reaper sealer I can use 24/7/365.  Much less hassle.

6 people like this

I've used Testors Dullcote spray on every Bones mini I've painted since the first figure I did from the Bones I Kickstarter in June of 2013, and I've never had any cracking problem or tackiness.  

http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/

5 people like this

I use Dullcote spray on my bones as well, I have never had an issue.

4 people like this

I seal everything, brush on Vallejo Matt Varnish.

6 people like this

I do not seal competition miniatures, but gaming pieces are always sealed usually with dullcote.

2 people like this

I seal all, I paint for display only, but these still get handled for cleaning / removing etc.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Arc 724 said:

I seal everything, brush on Vallejo Matt Varnish.

That's what I use on Bones.

Prime, paint, seal. Just like metal. People are going to handle these things. People tend to wreck things they handle.

It's simple math, for me, really.

We used to play with one certain manchild who tossed minis, threw dice at them, balanced them on thin edges at height, etc. Even though the vast majority of our players are respectful, you never know when a situation will suddenly become rowdy.

Seal those minis.

4 people like this

16 minutes ago, Bruunwald said:

Prime, paint, seal. Just like metal. People are going to handle these things. People tend to wreck things they handle.

We used to play with one certain manchild who tossed minis, threw dice at them, balanced them on thin edges at height, etc. Even though the vast majority of our players are respectful, you never know when a situation will suddenly become rowdy.

Seal those minis.

EXACTLY and you know I find that the sealer just brings the whole piece together, am I the only one?

2 people like this

No need to seal at all if it's a display piece, only if it's going to see tabletop use.

I haven't sealed any Bones with spray yet (I usually use Krylon clear matte or something similar), but I imagine the crackling could be an issue with very flexible pieces.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Bruunwald said:

Seal those minis.

Don't forget Doritos fingers!

Snacks around the gaming table is a common occurrence. And greasy fingers end up touching everything.

1 person likes this

Perhaps I need to look into the Testors Dullcote. I simply operate on the assumption that someone WILL pick up the mini to examine it, accidentally drop it, then accidentally kick it across the room, at which point a cat will pounce on it and flee to the dungeon with his new toy.

5 people like this