Marc

To Seal or Not to Seal

29 posts in this topic

I use Mr. Superclear matte on pretty much all of mine, and ... yah. no stickiness. Some of them get a coating of brush on sealer as well, but if I want them sealed.. I seal them.

The one time I tried using something else? Sticky! That one's still in the queue for a bath. :/

So, sounds like Reaper's brush on sealer for painted Bones might be a good way for me to go.

Has anyone run into any problems using Reaper's brush on sealer for painted Bones?

2 people like this

5 hours ago, Marc said:

So, sounds like Reaper's brush on sealer for painted Bones might be a good way for me to go.

Has anyone run into any problems using Reaper's brush on sealer for painted Bones?

No problems on any material (pewter, Bones, plastic, resin).

Yeah, I've never had any problems with it, either.  One note about the Brush-on:  It doesn't dry completely transparent (I think it's due to the anti-shine properties).  You will probably want to avoid letting it pool on the minis when applying it or you might wind up with some hazy areas.  Similarly, I recommend avoiding multiple coats of the Brush-on.  I tried it once of a figure and it gave it a very flat look.

My current sealing strategy is to first seal with a coat of RMS Gloss Sealer (which is transparent), followed by by a coat of Brush-on Sealer.  The Brush-on by itself is probably fine for my use, but I'm paranoid about wear and would just as soon never have to touch up a mini.  YMMV.

1 person likes this

Definitely no problems with Reaper's brush on sealer here, either.  

I have had paint rub off on occasion however, my minis get abused quite a bit.  I keep my metal ones in a case but Bones I will just put in a plastic organizer bin much like I do with my pre-painted DDM and pathfinder stuff.  (also depends on if its a mook or an actual paint job that Ive worked on.  I will put ones I put effort into in a case as well...but its rare as Bones are harder to remove flash from and often their details are not that great.

With that in mind.  I will seal with a Vallejo brush on gloss and then a coat of either Vallejo Brush on matt OR Army painter matt spray.  Depends on the time of year.  I typically only have a small window in the year to spray prime and seal because of the whether. 

I think that if you store them like I do.  You definitely need to put a protective double coat on them.  It takes awhile but with constant handling the paint will rub off as it has on some of my DDM mini.   

So a quick question about vallejo Matt varnish, is it slightly creamy out of the bottle? I thought it would be clear, but its been a while since I have used varnishes and dullcotes:)

2 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

So a quick question about vallejo Matt varnish, is it slightly creamy out of the bottle? I thought it would be clear, but its been a while since I have used varnishes and dullcotes:)

Yep.  All their varnishes are creamy with even a bit of a yellow tint to them.  They still all dry clear unless you put too much on in one spot then it will be cloudy.

1 minute ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

Yep.  All their varnishes are creamy with even a bit of a yellow tint to them.  They still all dry clear unless you put too much on in one spot then it will be cloudy.

yup, had a few spots happen, but that might work on the grave wraith:)

I also use the Vallejo matte sealer and haven't had any issues with it on bones. I seal everything on the assumption that eventually the minis will see a tabletop also I tend to give out quite a few as gifts so I figure better safe then sorry.

1 person likes this

when i used to paint back in the day of entirely metal GW minis, i used super ultra shiny sealer. worked like a charm. been years in a suitcase and they still aren't chipping.

when i came back to the hobby about 2? years ago. i first went out and bought the super cheap walmart paint i used to use. then i ordered some bones. it came w/ a paint sample. i opened it and immediately ordered a l2p kit from reaper. when i ordered that i picked up some brush on sealer (see the story has a point). Been using it for 2 years and the ONLY problem i've had with my minis chipping has been under real rough use and when they weren't primed before i painted them and then it was only on metal that was hitting hard plastic over and over.

On bones? so long as you don't put the sealer on thick, it's clear. i do two thin coats with maybe another on areas that i think are going to get more wear (heads, weapon tips etc). no problems in two years on bones.

2 people like this

I seal everything I paint simply because I hate having to touch minis up after some clumsy oaf does something stupid like drop them.  And yes, sometimes that oaf is me . . .

The Egg

Posted (edited)

So far, I haven't had any problems with Testor's Dullcote spray varnish on Bones.

Edited by klarg1

Put me down as a user of the Reaper Brush On Sealer as well.  I also use it to thin paints for the first coat - it's pretty much acrylic medium, and you can really lower the intensity of Brown / Blue Liner with it without getting the coverage issues you can see using water to thin on that base coat.