Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Two21B

New WIP - Bones III

15 posts in this topic

Starting my next WIP! This is from my Bones III shipment and I unfortunately don't know her name. She is going to be for a D&D campaign I am guesting in occasionally; an eleven Moon Druid named Phyraa. I'm very excited about her! 

I tried to go for a Zenithal Priming technique using spray Duplicolor primer. I'm having issues getting this technique down though. I'm not sure if it's noticeable in the picture, but the primer is pretty "grainy". This is actually better than it was before, I scrapped off a good portion of the first coat and just reapplied it. I've done a lot of research and I think I've figured out what I did wrong the first time. I think I was spraying too far away. And I may have over applied in the hopes of making the grainy look disappear. Oh well, it's all about learning, right? :poke: 

Anyway, here she is primed and ready to be painted! More posts soon!! 

IMG_2728.JPG

IMG_2729.JPG

10 people like this

Alright, flesh is done! Her eyes were a bit difficult, but I managed. She has a very intense look about her and some big pouty lips that I didn't realize until after I painted her! Still trying to work on my contrast in my skin, pushing shadows and highlights. I went up to linen white in a few places, but it's hard to tell. I'm deathly terrified of obvious color transitions, so I err on the side of less to prevent that from happening. 

Tomorrow will atart the hair and cloak, along with the staff, fingers crossed. 

Hope everyone is havig a wonderful Fourth of July weekend!! 

IMG_2731.JPG

9 people like this

Posted (edited)

Ooh, sultry eyes! 

In metal this is Aeris, Female Elf Ranger by Julie Guthrie.

I painted this one up last week as part of an allied group of NPCs for a game I'm in (she's a speed paint so a little rough).

595184f11e5ee_DSC_0389-Bones-III-version-of-Aeris-Female-Elf-Ranger.jpg.1a8a18ad11d1a02d871ae04c0c03a701.jpgDSC_0391.jpg.a508b8846a9b638f29e58b82b9c86fd3.jpgDSC_0389-face.jpg.c0c5ddc3a6503537bede3a8d7cdee7b8.jpg

I, er, am not terrified of obvious color transitions, I guess you could say.

Edited by Pingo
Spoilered mages 'cos it's your thread
2 people like this

Oh @Pingo, those eyes look so great, and so does the rest of her!! I love the purple cloak, that's what I am doing for mine too! Thanks a lot for showing me the pictures and giving me the name! I just can't get over those eyes!! I can't wait until I can make eyes that well.

1 person likes this

Hair is all done, and I am really happy with it! I am sure that I have my highlights in the wrong place, but this is the first time I've tried any unnatural colors for hair before and I think it turned out really well. Please feel free to offer and suggestions and advice you may have though. ::D:

Cloak and staff to come next! 

IMG_2733.JPG

IMG_2737.JPG

13 people like this

Posted (edited)

Oooo, I like the way you painted her hair. It's quite different from the way many people paint green hair. Kinda reminds me of the lady in the Mushishi episode "The Traveling Swamp". Love that one.

Spoiler

io.jpg

Edited by CorallineAlgae
2 people like this

I agree!

Original take on the hair!

Love it!

Finally made some progress. I've finished the cloak and the staff/bow. I attempted some freehand to add the grains into the wood on the staff, but I think it looks a bit too cartoonish to me. Not bad for my first attempt, and definitely good enough for tabletop standards. I'll have to practice more on it. 

I am pretty much much obsessed with the cloak though! I really love the way it turned out. 

On to the armor now. I have about 12 more hours to go before D&D, fingers crossed I'll get it finished! 

Comments and suggestions welcome! 

IMG_2743.JPG

IMG_2744.JPG

13 people like this

the cloak is perfect

2 people like this

37 minutes ago, robinh said:

the cloak is perfect

Agreed!

What colors did you use on the cloak? Purple is my favorite color and that cloak is GORGEOUS! Really nicely done!

1 person likes this

That's a luminous cloak.  I like how you can see the ambient lighting on her from the back.

1 person likes this

Thank you so much, everyone! I am pretty proud of the cloak. ::D:

1 hour ago, Pochi said:

What colors did you use on the cloak? Purple is my favorite color and that cloak is GORGEOUS! Really nicely done!

I used a purple trio from Reaper: Monarch Purple as the base, working down to Regal Purple. And then the highlights were worked up from Monarch to Royal purple and a little white. I glazed like crazy, I am obsessed with glazing now that I know how to do it. 

5 people like this

8 hours ago, Two21B said:

Thank you so much, everyone! I am pretty proud of the cloak. ::D:

I used a purple trio from Reaper: Monarch Purple as the base, working down to Regal Purple. And then the highlights were worked up from Monarch to Royal purple and a little white. I glazed like crazy, I am obsessed with glazing now that I know how to do it. 

Thank you! It turned out beautifully. There is a vendor with Reaper paints at Wintercon next weekend so maybe I can find those colors.

Apparently those gorgeous purples don't look much like their swatches in the online store.  Thank you so much for educating me!  ^_^  That cloak looks great!!

<adds more paint to cart> 

2 people like this