buglips*the*goblin

Ma'al Drakar 7-Day Goblin Contest Discussion thread

OneBoot and I will be kicking off this latest 7-day challenge on August 1st, 2017 and it will run for a full year until August 1st, 2018.  This is to give participants time to arrange for a 7-day block of time to work on the piece, as it will likely need every minute!  This will be the first 7-Day challenge to have a contest component for best completed entry, which will have a prize.  My understanding is that Reaper will provide a gift certificate ($50 was the amount discussed) for the ultimate winner. (As I am running the contest, I am of course not eligible for the prize)  Any additional information updates will be posted here.

As with all 7-Day Goblin Challenges, this will adhere to the Goblin Challenge Rules here: 

Note that extra terrain work/basing outside of what is included with the piece is not judged as part of the finished process, so it will not count towards making your finished piece the prettiest.  Only the finished work of the basic model (all of what is included at retail) is considered, so budget your time and efforts appropriately.  Make sure you read the official challenge rules and stick by them so that you don't wind up accidentally disqualified.  For this one, filling gaps and cleaning mold lines will count towards the finished piece. (Other normal challenges they don't since they don't compete with each other for prizes, that is just for this particular contest)

Edited by OneBoot
rule correction
  • Like 16

Perfect timing! My husband will be in Hawaii that weekend doing his Spartan races so I will have no distractions like pesky yardwork. Or vacuuming, scheduled meals, etc. If I schedule it right, I will have just enough time when I'm finished to make it look like a civilized human occupied the house while he was gone ::):

• Like 6

I've been preparing for this moment for two years

Forth, and fear no dragon! Arise! Arise, Painters of Ma'al drakar! Paints shall be shaken! Brushes shall be splintered! A glorious day... A Seven day... Ere the deadline rises!!! 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 13

Madness.  Given my time constraints with work and comissions, I'll be lucky to finish one of my Mal'drakar pieces in seven years . . .

The Egg

• Like 4

Argh! This is what I get for being absent from the forums! I have jumped the gun! Ah well perhaps I shall still earn a stanky sock.....

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ludo said:

Argh! This is what I get for being absent from the forums! I have jumped the gun! Ah well perhaps I shall still earn a stanky sock.....

You bought at least two right?  So you can do another one during the contest.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

You bought at least two right?  So you can do another one during the contest.

Pretty sure my fiancee would kill me if I tried two 7 day challenges...

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Ludo said:

Pretty sure my fiancee would kill me if I tried two 7 day challenges...

OMG!  Zombie painter!  you would need to stop except for periodic BRAAAAAAAINS breaks!

• Like 1

Due to sudden, unforseen family circumstances (nothing dire or awful, don't worry), I will not be able to start my Ma'al Drakar the exact same day as buglips (August 1st). I will instead be starting it a few days after. 

Huzzah!

• Like 2

Question for @buglips*the*goblin. If someone had provided evidence of going over offending areas and then re-painting, all with an appropriate brush, would that requalify an entry?

Edited by OneBoot
fixed mention tag

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Morihalda
      Alternative Title:
      How Morihalda Achieved Maximum Distraction from 14 Other WIP Threads: A Story.

Chapter One
      6 November. My husband and I went on a date to the museum. We always have so much fun there and learn so many new things! I saw an absolutely gorgeous snake and thought, "Wow, that would be an excellent dragon pattern. OH WOW Ma'al could be five different reptile patterns!!" I'd been wanting to do a skeletal or blacklight theme for him for forever, but I decided those would be better suited on a smaller dragon.

I spent some time that night researching snakes, lizards (and the occasional amphibian), and habitats before settling on some patterns. I spent a few more hours cleaning up mold lines and convincing myself that I don't need to resculpt these perfect heads!

Red - Fire Skink
      Black - Lace Monitor
      Green - Green Iguana
      Blue - Blue Tree Monitor
      White - Blue tongue Skink
      Body - Fire Skink

This Boelen's Python didn't make the cut since I settled on lizards, but look at that good son! He's going to be my black dragon one day. 

The red fire skink will be inspiration for both the red head and body. It has so many amazing colors that will help bring all the faces together. I'm thinking the wings will be muted on the underside to match the black and white heads and more fire skink on the top. This means the black and white heads need to be the middle level heads - there's a beautiful curve from them leading to each wing.

My tentative color blocking. Good enough for an art gallery, yeah? ;)

Chapter Two
      7 November. I spent over three hours this afternoon pinning, gluing, and green stuffing specific sections. The wing gaps and one of the legs are pretty rough, but the head scales perfectly cover the neck scales! Almost like it was planned.  

Chapter Three
      8 November. I am still prepping. There is still barely enough done to warrant a forum post. All I have to show you are stabby holes in my hands (yes I will be using a holder/lazy Susan when painting, but I need all the angles while sculpting). Either I got one that was a little uneven or I'm just way more picky than some folks, but I have had a ton of gap filling to do for the legs.

How did some of you do this in 7 days?! Someone send me rations and supplies to survive!  

• By WhiteWulfe
      I say attempted because of two reasons...  First is this is the show off thread, and secondly, no official confirmation yet on the dates since @buglips*the*goblin has been occupied with other things, although a part of me suspects that @OneBoot might vouch.  At least on the times 

WIP Thread: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/83285-whitewulfe-attemps-the-seven-day-goblin-challenge-dragons-dont-share-2014-edition/

This post may or may not be wordy, I haven't decided yet.  I'm tired, I'm sore, my eyes burn, but...  It. Is. DONE!  At least in my eyes.  A lot of things aren't as well done as I'd like, but that's what happens when you lose the equivalent of almost two full days to surprise contractors.  Thankfully I had terrain to work on while they took up most of that time!

Rules thread: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/69639-7-day-goblin-challenge-official-rules/

Just what is the 7-Day Goblin Challenge?  Well, I summarize it as follows: Stupidly large mini, comically small brush.  Right now, it's four different minis you can choose from, you can only use up to a size 0 brush, aaaaand you have all of seven days to finish it.  That's it.  No airbrushes, no fancy paper towel tricks, no smearing paint with your fingers (as that's a "brush" that's bigger than size 0!), no direct application of paint, no aerosol cans... You get the idea. ^_^;;;

Start time: October 27th, at 09:05 MST/MDT (aka -07:00 GMT)
      End time: Nov 3rd, at 02:02 MST/MDT

Getting all of this to fit in my mock lighting setup was an absolute pain, doubly so since I had to steal hubby's painting light to try and get even lighting across things. o_O

^Starting setup, with time displayed

^Ending setup, with time displayed.  At this point, I technically had 7 hours and 3 minutes left in my seven days, and by the time I'm done writing this it'll probably be a full hour later (something about editing down over forty pictures, and that's AFTER I filtered redundant pics out of the equation o_O)

In order to not make this an absolute pain to scroll through, I'll showcase key pictures, with additional detail pics being hidden behind spoiler tags.

^Obviously the main attraction is first.

Additional dragon pictures:

Terrain details:

First hero is apparently the dwarf cleric...  At least with the order I took pics!

Additional pics:

^The sorceress~

Additional pics:

^The thief/rogue/sneaky one!

Additional pics:

The... Ranger/archer guy!

Additional pics:

^And last, but not least...  Sir Purple of Shiny, as more or less named by OneBoot...  Well, inspired by due to purple and how shiny his armour was for quite some time...

Additional pics!

Now, comes the slightly... I dunno, philisophical part of it all.  Would I do things differently next time?  Most definitely.  I'd prefer to give my heroes more time, and also make sure I have brushes that I trust well enough to do eyes.  I had to pull out my 000 Reaper brush to try the eyes....  I also wouldn't wait until after 1am  in the final hours of the challenge to do said eyes either.  I'd also not recommend losing a good chunk of time to surprise contractors either, or at least keep painting as best one can - although that first day of surprise contractors, uhm....  Yeah, anything other than priming would have been impossible while they were doing work, the entire building was vibrating.

Would I recommend this kind of thing to others?  Sure, why not...  If you're willing to do a reasonable amount of planning ahead of time.  I'd also strongly recommend having time off while you do this, AND not being the person who cooks.  Assigning cooking duties to someone else (or, y'know, having a freezer/fridge full of ready to make meals) would probably also be rather handy.  If you're in a relationship, or living with others (be they roommates, or parents, or whatever), DEFINITELY make sure to talk it over with them.  I'm lucky, I'm married to an enabler, and by that he's the main reason I was able to do the challenge.  That and he was quite happy to work on relic quests in FF XIV:ARR while I painted 

Oh, and make sure you've actually GOT groceries to cook with if you are going to be the cook!  Don't have to run out a few times during said challenge, DOUBLY SO if you happen to have to WALK everywhere when you do said errands.  No, not even to go and get your package of big stompy robots, you silly fox!

I went into this with a rather basic plan...  Colours picked out for the heroes (but apparently only their capes/cloaks), and a basic colour pattern idea on the dragon.  I'd recommend not winging it like I did, because it brings up some rather interesting (and annoying!) problems as you go, like how on earth you're going to make it work, and blend it all together.

Will I give another one a shot?  We shall see.  Obviously there's recovering from this one, but most importantly is this - hubby would have to say yes again 

...I'm going to go get sleep now!
    • By WhiteWulfe
      Hi, I'm WhiteWulfe, some say I'm an "insane" fox that can't pass the entrance exam, and others say I'm just nuts.  Ever since finding out about the 7-Day challenges I've wanted to give them a whirl.  Today, this happens.  Originally I wanted to start last night, but my desk was a mess, paints were everywhere, and so I listened to rational..... goblins...? o_O who suggested that maybe I should tidy things up first, get some sleep, and THEN actually start.  Good thing, because tiredness hit a lot earlier last night than I was expecting!

First and foremost, for those not familiar with the rules for such challenges, the official post for them can be found over here, but it basically boils down to "paint absurdly large miniature (or set of minis), in full, in seven days....  WITH A SIZE ZERO BRUSH."  Many thanks to @buglips*the*goblin for starting such delightful insanity, and several others for providing inspiration through their challenges, and awesome to follow threads.  I hope mine is just as fun to read as it goes on.... ^_^;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Oh, well, the terrain in Dragons Don't Share 2014 Edition (affectionately referred to as DDS2) doesn't look that big in the photos, riiiiight....?

Yeaaaaah, guess again.  it's a decent size.  Okay, my camera isn't the biggest of them all since it is a Panasonic Lumix G85 (G80/G81 in some parts of the world) and that's "only" the Lumix 12-60mm kit lens, but still.  It's BIGGER THAN THE CAMERA in pretty much all dimensions.  12 oz / 355 mL can of cola (Coca-Cola), 20 Oz mason jar, dropper bottle, and Citadel paint pot for size reference.  Same thing with the Kcups - and now you know what a fox likes to drink for his coffee!  Also, that's still a real 8.5" of height on the dragon's wing.  Please note these photos were all dry fitting when I first got the mini, and I wanted to take a few silly pics of this and that, as well as some scale ones, since I hadn't really found any out there other than people saying it's a big mini.

A quick FAQ for those who might be curious....
      Are you nuts?!?!?!  ...Uhm, quite possibly? Why the challenge? Because it seemed fun at the time, and hubby said it sounded like fun. Your spouse said yes?!?!?!!? Yup, he even encouraged it. Why this week in particular? Because I take Samhain / Hallowe'en off pretty much every year, and wanted something to do other than murder all the things in some random game. Why DDS2? Truth be told...  At it's price point, it was the main one that appealed to me.  Khanjira is tempting, sure, but it's more of a kaiju than a dragon, and dragons are awesome.  Ma'al is, uhm, well....  If this goes well, and I get permission to do another, and then a third...  Third ~MIGHT~ be Ma'al.  We shall see.  Kaladrax was an instant no due to not really being available at retail. Your spouse is seriously okay with this?  See a few points back - it was partially his idea!  Do you have an actual game plan? Uhm...  Truthfully?  Other than my theme of "LARPing Gone Wrong - Friday Night at New City"... NOPE.  I do have basic colour schemes, and a plan of attack for day one though, if that counts for much. What's New City?  New City Suburbs was an old hangout I used to frequent on a regular basis...  When it was still downtown.  Been to a few good shows there, had a lot of good times, and sadly, the old theater it was in was demolished and turned into some fancy store or restaurant or something.  Suburbs became Armoury, and it died a terrible death, and sadly we no longer have a goth/punk/EpicAwesomeness bar in town.  I can't say what Friday's event was actually called, so we'll call it "Triple B", and it was always full of awesomeness.  Plus they had a JägerMeister tap machine, which meant I could actually get some of that delicious brown-grey gunk of amazingness. Why the playful jab at LARPing?  ....In all honesty, because a co-worker has been trying for years to get me to come to various LARP events in the area (even as an NPC!), but mainly because of the simple fact that said coworker has been somewhat of a sounding board for various ideas.  Oh, and of course it'll help sort of explain the whole goth raver thing going on. Do you think you'll succeed? I'm aiming for completion.  Will it happen?  Time shall tell if I succeed or fail, but I intend on having fun when going into this, and that's my main goal! What do you hope to learn by doing this? In all honesty?  More speed painting techniques, more tabletop techniques, and arguably most importantly in my eyes the ability to go back to painting a mini and just being happy with it, instead of constantly fiddling with this and that, and taking downright forever to actually get one done.  That and I want an epic dragon of doom to put on our shelves to display!  

^How things looked Friday night, with the ominous wording of "SOONTM".  For the record, that's an 18x12" cutting mat that the box is mostly covering...  And that's just the INSERT box that you can see sticking out of the retail box...

...And so, now, that leaves us here, on Saturday morning...  More or less having gotten enough sleep, or so I hope.....

As a semi-old, not really all that old, but still saying would say...  Pain begins... NOW.

Or, in my case, let doomsday (aka the 7 day challenge) commence!
    • By WhiteWulfe
      So I'm looking at doing one of @buglips*the*goblin's seven day challenges (Dragons Don't Share - 2014 to be precise), and one of the main topics that keeps coming up is brushes, specifically ones I won't mind putting some wear and tear on, or even destroying.  For those unfamiliar with such a challenge, here's some more info...

Official 7-Day Goblin Challenge Rules Thread

Awww, it doesn't automatically do the thing anymore, where it does the nice and neat and tidy box of doom.

Anyways.  The biggest thing I'm looking for is some brushes that will be legal (size 0 max, with a guideline of 1mm diameter, and no more than 10mm in length for the brush), since my main "scratch" and "priming" brushes are probably too big (Citadel starter brushes I happened to have lying around.  One is clearly way too big, and the other is probably too shot to be reliable for a challenge)....  And are hopefully relatively inexpensive as well as last a decent time through the rough behaviour that will more than likely be happening while I am painting such a large miniature, in such a short amount of time.

Additionally, I do live in Canada, but have no problems purchasing internationally, it's just a case of us having a not as good Amazon (and the US Amazon doesn't always ship up to Canada).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or tips on durable, yet inexpensive brushes!
    • By OneBoot
      We all knew this day would come eventually. The day where OneBoot tosses the very few marbles she has left into the ocean and throws herself in after them. The blank 4th spot in my lovely Goblin Challenge signature badge has been glaring at me for several months now, and my personal circumstances have now aligned to allow me to attempt this, my final Challenge.

For those of you unfamiliar with Goblin Painting Challenges, started by our very own @buglips*the*goblin, here is a link to his Kaladrax thread that started it all: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/51269-kaladrax-in-seven-days-buglips-is-crazy-wip/&

The short version of the rules is that I will be painting up Dragons Don't Share - 2014 edition in 7 days, using no brushes larger than a size 0.

Here's the long version of the rules:

You are all invited to join me in my descent into further madness! But only if you bring chocolate and gummy worms.  

On a personal note, out of all 4 Goblin Challenges, this is actually the one I've been the most nervous about all along (yes, even more so than Ma'al Drakar). Those adventurers are likely to prove to be 5 lovely little time sinks for me, and I'll have to concentrate very hard not to get caught up in all those beautiful details on them! But who knows, maybe it'll end up being the terrain that eats all my time and sanity; we get to find out together!

My general plan is as follows:
      The first couple of days will focus on brown linering and basecoating ALL THE THINGS, while also putting on faces and eyes while my hands are still fairly steady. I will work primarily on the adventurers the first few days, but will take 'breaks' to work on the terrain and the dragon in between to let my eyes and hands relax a bit from the tiny work. My aim is to finish the adventurers by the end of Day 4, or at least get them to "good enough" status; fun fiddly detail bits can be added after this point if I have time, but even without those the figures could be declared done. My final day will likely be focused on finishing up the terrain, and possibly the dragon's wings. Not sure about that yet, but that's what I anticipate.  
      Started: April 3rd 2018, 4:00pm PDT
      Finished: April 10th 2018, 8:17am PDT
      Show-off thread:

Huzzah!
  • Who's Online   27 Members, 4 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)