TGP

Getting to Know Each Other = July Edition

821 posts in this topic

Erh... well. Let me see here. Most of the second floor probably needs to be scrapped and started over; closer inspection suggests a level was not the only thing they didn't have. The chimney needs to be rebuilt before it starts scattering bricks across the yard. Probably the roof needs to be re-done. We will not discuss the hilarity that is the kitchen. Or the dryrot making it's way through the front porch.

It's wonderful what professional inspectors can and do miss, ain't it?

How much of this will get fixed this weekend? Hah. Hah, hah ... *hysterical noises*

Not bloody likely. :/

7 people like this

10 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for July 7th:

Is your house trying to kill you?

Weekend Quests:

Sat-Sun) survey your house, hut, flat, condo, rooms, barracks, etc. for hazards that ought to get fixed, and report your findings. 

Sun bonus) did you actually fix something, make your space a bit safer?

I have two houses. The one in town is pretty solid. It needs new shingles on the garage and we've already talked to a contractor about that. Nothing remotely dangerous. The farm house is another thing though. It is slowly fading because the town house gets most of the love and money. It needs new siding and a couple new windows. It's been having trouble with flooding because we've had 5 very wet years lately. My parents lived there for 40 years and never had as much water problems as I have the last 3-4. This year is turning into a drought so the water table is rapidly dropping to more normal levels. There is a plywood deck by the back door that is getting springy and rough looking. The last time I redid it I cheaped out and used too thin of plywood. I'm expecting someday I've fall through it because that's happened before. It also had one of the lead in lines for power break near the top of the pole in the yard. Half the house doesn't have power and nothing needing 220 volts works. I could fix it easily if I could climb that high up the pole but I can't. One company i contacted wanted $5000 to fix it. I'm trying to find someone that doesn't feel I need to rewire the entire house to fix one line.

Sat/Sun quest done many months ago. I am generally very aware of my surroundings and what needs to be done.

Sunday bonus, what she said :lol:

5 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

How much of this will get fixed this weekend? Hah. Hah, hah ... *hysterical noises*

Not bloody likely. :/

Just because I'm aware of it doesn't mean it's getting fixed soon. Everything is on a priority system and I've got enough "do right now" things to keep me busy for weeks.

6 people like this

10 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for July 7th:

Don't know about the house, but I definitely know the Alpine is.  Damn near broke my arm trying to get the starter pulled out today . . .

The Egg

5 people like this

13 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for July 7th:

No.  If it was I wouldn't be living there.

4 people like this

41 minutes ago, Auberon said:

No.  If it was I wouldn't be living there.

But you appear to be One Punch Man. A mere house couldn't kill you if it tried. 

3 people like this

July 6th: No I am not a techpriest.

July 7th: My room is probably the only thing not trying to kill me. My bosses, the floor at work, my neighbors, the bedbugs, the rats who will eventually chew into a power line, Austin drivers, the CapMetro system, my landlord and the chicken and dumplings have all taken a shot at me,(stress seems to be the preferred method) but not the room itself. Not yet anyway....

As to fixing this...when are we getting our lightsabers again?

5 people like this

15 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for July 7th:

Weekend Quests:

Sat-Sun) survey your house, hut, flat, condo, rooms, barracks, etc. for hazards that ought to get fixed, and report your findings. 

Yes. 

Weekend quest:  I'll bow out, since my house should likely be burned to the ground.  Or nuked from orbit (less the bunker).  Siding, two windows, finish a floor, replacing some roofing.  more insulation.  Adding drywall where needed.  Changing "ramps" to steps.  Finish supports for the floor.  Cover the hidden cisterns.

4 people like this

13 hours ago, Cyradis said:

...I got most of the wasp nests away from the doorways but there might be more. 

So yeah, hazards! 

I used to have wasps by the back door but they decided to abandon the effort to colonize the area. Not sure why. 

Maybe I was unappetizing. They never zapped me. 

13 hours ago, NomadZeke said:

...the weekend quest really doesn't have much to achieve for me

::):

11 hours ago, Doug's Workshop said:

...we've become trained to notice those little things that could become bigger issues. 

The inspiration for this was a section of floor in my house. It is made of some kinda plastic or vinyl that looks like hardwood. Fauxwood?

Anyway, lately it seems much more slippery. I have walked on it no problem for months. But, it is like has gotten smoother with use. So, I moved a small rug in there to create at least one steady patch. 

I fear falls... ...for reasons

~~~~~~~~

Anyway this weekender was not meant to require any huge DIY projects. Just to inspire a bit of 1:1 terrain building; eliminate a trip hazard here; change a light bulb there; ...find small doable ways to make life better. 

~~~~~~~~

A problem of mine that is not likely to get significantly better this weekend is the damage my Frenemy Rocky...

IMG_1117.thumb.jpg.9b5c6f6c4810a3dbcea1c9b878593b89.jpg

...his Girlfriend Roxanne, his brother Rocky, his other brother Rocky, and their brother Ralph are doing to the roof. Among other concerns, The point where power, telephone, and internet all physically attach to the house is looking dilapidated and they may be partly responsible. 

::(:

7 people like this

Well my house is older and there are things that need to be repaired/replaced/updated but nothing inherently dangerous else is would have already been fixed.

4 people like this

23 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for July 7th:

Weekend Quests:

Not that I am currently aware of.

I just went through and replaced light bulbs, a few missing screws and some other minor things not too long ago.

My lawn is getting a little wild looking, though.

3 people like this

23 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for July 7th:

Weekend Quests:

Of course.  Let's see... without even going to look, I know there are two wire plugs that are all through the house (only the kitchen and last bedroom added are up to code) and that the wires to all of these receptacles are strung across the attic and do not go through pipe to the outlets... and that they have been this way since about 1954.  The water pipes need to be replaced for all the water lines because they are mostly original.  Two giant oak trees that drop 20" plus limbs from time to time... and if they fell they could smash any of up to five houses around me.

As for questing this weekend? Oh hell no... those are multi-year budget items each... unless someone decides to gift me with an inheritance from some unknown source or walks up to my door and says they need this house for $XXX.00 cash.  (Where XXX cash is equal to the YYY amount we spent plus Z that we have used to accomplish some of the repairs already done.  And actually, there are days that if someone showed up with exactly how much we bought the house for that I would be out the door within 24 hours).

All in all, though, the house might be trying to kill my wallet, but it is fairly sound.  Solid wood walls (the old way, not the new cheap way), good wood floors that only creak certain times of the year, storm windows everywhere.  Even the trees have been through multiple hurricanes since I have lived in this town without major stress.  

*** knocks on real wood ***

Yeah... so, maybe not?

7 people like this

It's one of the few things that isn't. ::P:

4 people like this

TGP, your problems just reminded me of something that happened here years ago. My dad was having racoon troubles. They were ripping cedar shingles off the old house he moved into after I got married. They eventually dug a small hole into the space between the attic and roof. He asked me to cover it with a sheet of tin. I did and he asked me if I'd made sure the coons weren't in the house before I closed it. I said I thought it was empty. Turns out I was wrong and they weren't happy when they found out I'd sealed their front door. Kept dad awake all night and he eventually cut a hole in the interior wall and put a trap there for them. Caught 3 of them over the next day.

6 people like this

On 7/7/2017 at 7:08 AM, TGP said:

Question for July 7th:

Weekend Quests:

Probably. Of course I can trip over nothing so it may just be me. I think the big hazards we have are cords. We have to string the cable for the TV from the TV to the wall which gets in the way of getting on that side of the bed easily, can't really staple them down since it's an apartment. And the other is in the same vein, we've got an ethernet cord going from the living room to the bedroom so we have internet for the xbox 360 (i'm still tryiing to convince Husband to get a wireless adapter but that hasn't worked out so far). Again, we can't really tack it down, it crosses in front of the bathroom but is otherwise pretty well hidden.

2 people like this

On 7/7/2017 at 8:42 PM, Egg of Coot said:

Don't know about the house, but I definitely know the Alpine is.  Damn near broke my arm trying to get the starter pulled out today . . .

The Egg

That's what you get for driving a colonialist vehicle...<_<

2 people like this