TGP

Getting to Know Each Other = July Edition

755 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question for July 11th:

Cubicle Wars...have you ever battled neighboring cubes / resorted to glitter??

I've never had a job with a cubicle.

3 people like this

31 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question for July 11th:

No.  No interest in it at all.  And, really, who has time for that when things are on fire (again)?

3 people like this

34 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question for July 11th:

When a coworker when to Europe for a few weeks last April, this happened to his cube:

Spoiler

Present1.jpg.035c25b8eb0440107a6e70d0ba5e5691.jpgPresent2.jpg.7453b8a9109a133682e7c6ecb945f2b7.jpg

When the main instigator from that incident went on vacation a few weeks later, this happened to her cube:

Spoiler

balloon.jpg.c6735c4995f6bdcf9ed39908905620a7.jpg

There may or may not have been dry oatmeal added to a few of the balloons. :devil:

14 people like this

18 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

I tried this Chinese place a week ago. It was boring, unimpressive, mostly water chestnuts and carrots. It gave me (mild) food poisoning. It was physically disconcerting. I am still on the quest to find good Chinese food. 

As to mentally disconcerting, I did not know people made soda out of tree bark. Birch beer is surprisingly good.

I am a fan of birch beer, especially in the absence of traditionally-made root beers.

Many traditional root beer recipes also involve tree bark.

(Sympathy on the hunt for good Chinese food. Hopefully, you'll find it soon!)

5 people like this

If you want demotivational posters, go play with Inspirobot. Randomly generated motivational quotes. Some are actually good. Some are depressing. Some make no sense. And some are downright creepy.

Also, pickle vodka is a thing. My boyfriend is crazy and loves it. 

I'd try avocado ice cream but not that. Avocados are already kinda creamy so why not?

Glitter? Uhhh... I sortof did that to myself at comiccon. I got insanely glittered up for my costume as The Questgiver. 

6 people like this

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Question for July 11th:

It has been a long time... and fortunately, I was in a cube of four that only myself and my assistant occupied so I couldn't actually play pranks on the people opposite us (they built for expansion) and there was no one in the side closest to us in the programmer section.  So in the spirit of fair play, I regularly moved things (awards, photos, magnets) from one cubicle to another in their quad.  I would also regularly unplug or turn off computer equipment.  If they couldn't figure it out, they would directly call me anyway, so it just meant that I got to get up again later.  Also, if anyone walked away from their computer and left it unlocked, I changed their theme... pepto bismol pink was a favorite for the guys.  

As we added techs to the group and merged in the helpdesk lines with the techs we ended up with an office which grew to having about 8 of us.  Lots of shenanigans happened there.  Sadly, we had a very large window directly in front of my desk, so I had to be very subtle about instigation.  At that point I became more of the defensive squad trying to allow shenanigans to happen that didn't spill out into the cubicle farm or get to loud that anyone came to investigate (CIO to the north, HR and VP to the south).  We still managed to do everything from remapping keys against our fellow workers to signing up one unfortunate soul to every branch of the military with his cellphone and home email address (he deserved it though after he gave everyone in the company admin rights and didn't realize it).  We never resorted to glitter, but we did frequently assign tickets to the loser of our d20 rolls.

Now I work at a university, so my pranks are reserved for graduate students...

8 people like this

Not cubicles, but underway there were many prank wars against other divisions (usually the Sonar Techs).  Dit-dot bombs, farting into the intake ventilation to the Sonar Shack after Taco Tuesday, shoe polish (or Prussian Blue) on their headsets and the like.

Good times.  As I was in Communications division, we had a door that locked.

11 people like this

Another warning with glitter: if you get fine glitter poured on your head, you'll be finding it on your scalp and in your ears for 3+ weeks. 

Experience. Yes, literally in your ears. 

7 people like this

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for July 11th:

Not in a very long time. Never employed glitter...I think it's banned as a WMD.

7 people like this

Posted (edited)

Fine glitter, eh?

*** Looks up from suitcase ***

"What Ub3r? No... no... nothing here... I only have a couple of things for after ReaperCon is over... and some... uh... medicine... yeah, medicine!"

Hmmm.... though, I guess we may need a question after ReaperCon is over if there were any Hotel Room wars...

Edited by Grayfax
5 people like this

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for July 11th:

Back when I had a cubicle job we couldn't really do anything to the work cubicles. However, we managed to get one ops manager's cubicle office when he went on vacation. First time we filled it with balloons, the second time we wrapped every single item in tinfoil.

6 people like this

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for July 11th:

I've been in cubicles off and on for almost 20 years and other than my current boss putting post-its on my screen and chair in various... shapes, I've only ever resorted to paper clip battles with one guy.  We'd randomly fling paperclip over the walls at the other person, usually when the other person was on a conference call or something...  Otherwise we keep things pretty quiet.  Boring government employees...  

9 people like this

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for July 11th:

I once collaborated with a co-worker to decorate a new employee's cube like the tackiest tiki bar you've ever seen, including a grass skirt on his desk, and inflatable palm tree.

Aside from that, no.

6 people like this

4 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

Ah, we French-Canadian call those Italian Poutine (poutine italienne)

poutine-italienne.jpg

Though we accept it as a thing (there's quite a variety of poutines), it's disconcerting to most of us too. Spaghetti sauce just doesn't mesh well with french fries.

I propose an insult, Cranky.

You bring your French-Canadian self down to my house, and I will serve you poutine. DELICIOUS poutine, best poutine you ever had.

And upon your arrival, you will sit at my table, and I will, with much pomp and decorum, place a laden plate in front of you. Upon it, you will see onion rings drenched in honey, chicken gravy, and Sriracha sauce, and sprinkled with chocolate cupcake sprinkles. Horrorstruck, you look at me like I was a madman, and say, "What the &%$@# is THIS &%#$@?"

And in a bad Pepe Le Pew impression, I smilingly say, "Ah, this is delicious poutine, m'sieu."

That's my reaction to being served "chili" that is not chili. Now, if I'd ordered Italian poutine, I wouldn't have had expectations. But when I order chili, I expect a thing to contain chili powder or actual chiles, and meat of some sort. Vegetarian chili is a thing in the same sense that tofurkey is... a thing that is not really a thing, but some people will fight to say that it is, like campaign promises. I don't demand beans. I will understand if there's no onions, or cheese. But meat and chiles/chili powder are not optional. They are the things that define the ^%#$& CHILI! Might as well invite me over for hamburgers and then serve cupcakes. Cat can have kittens in the oven, but that don't make 'em biscuits.

And yes, I am aware that a "biscuit" in England is a "cookie" in America. Cultural and language differences can be excused. But I flatly refuse to believe that Michigan's culture is sufficiently different from my own that chili doesn't need to have chili powder if you just use oregano.

"Well, this is how we make chili in Gondor."

"Then you are FOOLS in Gondor!"

Either learn how to make chili, or change what you're calling it on the menu. And don't get me started on what Yankees think is "barbecue." That comes too close to heresy.

I do not understand the Sweet Tea thing, either. When I drink tea, I like to taste the tea; I'll drink it plain, or lightly sweetened with a bit of lemon. There's a fried chicken chain in Texas that serves sweet tea, and is quite proud of it; it's literally boiled with the sugar to achieve supersaturation. It has no tea flavor; it's brown sugar water, near as I can tell. They sell the stuff in gallon jugs, it's apparently so popular. And at the one in New Braunfels, when I asked for unsweetened tea, they looked at me like I was a heretic.

They did serve Diet Coke, though. And water. So it's not like you HAVE to drink the stuff. But it just goes to show: subcultures. And some people apparently just can't live without a constant sugar buzz.

Regrettably, on the "cube farm" topic, I can't really add anything. I worked in a cube farm for a year, distributing bottled water, and left because the corporate culture was frankly more oppressive than the paycheck was tempting. In that time, no pranks involving glitter or confetti or anything else occurred; there would have been repercussions way out of proportion if there had.

5 people like this

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I propose an insult, Cranky.

You bring your French-Canadian self down to my house, and I will serve you poutine. DELICIOUS poutine, best poutine you ever had.

And upon your arrival, you will sit at my table, and I will, with much pomp and decorum, place a laden plate in front of you. Upon it, you will see onion rings drenched in honey, chicken gravy, and Sriracha sauce, and sprinkled with chocolate cupcake sprinkles. Horrorstruck, you look at me like I was a madman, and say, "What the &%$@# is THIS &%#$@?"

And in a bad Pepe Le Pew impression, I smilingly say, "Ah, this is delicious poutine, m'sieu."

Poutine à la Bedlam. Is it wrong of me of actually wanting to try that?

And then ask for seconds?

And *then* ask if we can exchange recipes?

Edited by Cranky Dog
9 people like this