TGP

Getting to Know Each Other = July Edition

671 posts in this topic

July 12th:

If the hours at work get cut down past a certain point, then I wind up sometimes doing a short fast on Thursday until my check gets direct deposited. Which is why I fought them into giving me Mondays and Tuesdays off instead. This way if things are tight I can eat Stolen Bacon (like regular but better tasting) along with my shift meal.

3 people like this

6 hours ago, hiddenone32 said:

I enjoy food far too much to willing go without.

This. Plus if it included "no coffee" there'd be a large pile of bodies in my wake.

6 people like this

2 minutes ago, NomadZeke said:

This. Plus if it included "no coffee" there'd be a large pile of bodies in my wake.

It would be a short wake. Soon you wouldn't be awake.

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

21 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for July 12th:

Fasting, ever tried it? If so, for how long??

I seem to be [un?]naturally fasting more as I age...

I manage 12-20 hours without much problems...no lightheadedness or crankiness.  Many times it is just such a nuisance to eat something and it is easier to decide, meh, I'll eat later. 

~~~~~~~~~

There is all sorts of faddish info on the Internet about intermittent fasting alleged to be a healthy thing and that was what inspired the question. 

Edited by TGP
added the rest of the story.
2 people like this

Question for July 13th:

What is your favorite gardening implement?

8 people like this

If you pay someone or some service to look after the garden/landscape: "checkbook" is a legit answer. <_<

8 people like this

On 7/11/2017 at 5:21 AM, TGP said:

Question for July 11th:

Cubicle Wars...have you ever battled neighboring cubes / resorted to glitter??

Before I was placed in a leadership role, I went around sticking googly eyes on random objects that belonged to coworkers. There was even a time i went around attaching clothes pins on people. Bonus points attaching clothes pins on clothes pins already attached to clothes. ^.^

7 people like this

9 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Yes, I have. Not a fan. I start to get increasingly hostile the longer I go before I can eat something.

The standard 'don't eat or drink anything for 12 hours' before medical testing. This annoys me to no end.

I will follow the instructions, but by god, you had better be ready for me EXACTLY 12 hours later. I hate having to sit around twiddling my thumbs for another hour when I'm already hungry. 

Fortunately I have a tendency to go unconscious before then, so there's not too much waiting time.

Getting to the medical center is a bit of a trial though.  If the car ride doesn't clobber me, the elevator does. Or at least, that's what happened last time when I had had to fast for 24 hours. 

Security was very nice about it anyhow, although I discovered just how much of an irritant the pulse of a person pushing your wheelchair can be.

12 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question for July 13th:

A dibbler.

Just because I love the word.

If we're going with fondest used, my pitchfork has proven invaluable.

4 people like this

21 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for July 12th:

Fasting, ever tried it? If so, for how long??

The longest I fasted was 48 ish hours. I played Warcraft, went to bed, had my biobreaks, and then sat at the computer again.  Although, there was a time when I was a college student with no income. Random periods of fasting.

20 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question for July 13th:

Currently living back with my parents to save money. We have an HoA so, no gardens for us. Though I do enjoy playing with the hose. 

5 people like this

44 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Security was very nice about it anyhow, although I discovered just how much of an irritant the pulse of a person pushing your wheelchair can be.

:blink:

I have been pushed in wheelchairs but none of the "coolies" ever got up close and personal enough that I could feel their pulse. 

44 minutes ago, Pingo said:

A dibbler.

And now I must google this. 

4 people like this

img_4675.jpg

Dibbler

13 people like this

It's a hole poker.

14 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Beans? On a hot dog?

Well, different strokes, I guess. At least it's not that watery stuff they call Hot Dog Sauce. I don't MIND beans in chili, but there are chili forms in which beans are used more as filler than as an ingredient; Wendy's Chili comes to mind.

Only time I've ever fasted was in preparation for a medical procedure. It was not fun. On the flip side, it preceded the single best breakfast I have ever eaten; hunger is indeed the best spice.

I like to have at least as much beans as meat. Sometimes I have more meat than beans, but that's usually because it was on sale. I use four different sorts of beans. I prefer chipotle pepper flakes, as well as chili powder, to season it, as it gives it a nice smokey flavor. And of course, brown sugar to cut the acidity of the tomatos.

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Question for July 13th:

I haven't been able to do enough gardening to have a favorite. I do have a neat elephant shaped watering can though.

7 people like this

55 minutes ago, TGP said:

img_4675.jpg

Dibbler

Wow, that's an industrial scale one. :blink:

Mine is much smaller and handcrafty, like so:

contemporary-gardening-hand-tools.jpg

You use it to poke holes in the ground to plant bulbs.

8 people like this

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for July 13th:

The hose, I suppose.  I would hate having to hand water everything.  Awesome Wife is into gardening, so we have, uhmm about 20 beds with 20 plants in them.

Also a hose is good for convincing people to apply lotion.

9 people like this

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for July 13th:

It used to be the lawn mower. Now I don't have a yard/garden.

1 person likes this