TGP

Getting to Know Each Other = July Edition

Just now, Thes Hunter said:

I found Minnesota to be more in line with serving sauces and chilli that were just tomato sauce, without spice than Michigan was. 

Hey now. Ketchup has spices.

And there's salt and pepper, and even (yellow) mustard for the adventurous.

::D:

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Thes Hunter said:

I don't think it's necessarily a Michigan thing. I ate plenty of chili with meat that had chilly powder in it when I lived in Michigan. 

However, my mother would make chilli with not much spice, (But it still had meat.)

A greek style chili is also popular at some 'coney islands'. It would still have meat, but it would have cinnamon and cumin undertones (and it still had chili powder in it.) Greek chilli is more famous as Cincinnati chili. 

I found Minnesota to be more in line with serving sauces and chilli that were just tomato sauce, without spice than Michigan was. 

I'm from Ohio, so take what I say through that filter.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Weekend Questions: July 14/15/16...

Forget unlikely Sci-Fi things like phasers, what do you think near-future weapons advances will consist of?

Sci-Fi minis and models, do you have any? How many? (answers may use goblin, elven, wizardish, or Arabic maths; we're not picky.)

Bonus Quest: (to complete by the 16th) paint something that looks like it has a Zap-beam, Death-ray, Phazer-bank, etc. 

Double bonus: make it look like it glows somehow. 

Knowing next to nothing about real life weapons I'd hazard to guess something with lasers. 

I'm not sure I actually own any sci-fi minis. I'd have to look and that might take a while. If I do have some it's not many. (Husband now informs me that we have several board games with sci-fi type minis.)

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Forget unlikely Sci-Fi things like phasers, what do you think near-future weapons advances will consist of?

Sci-Fi minis and models, do you have any? How many? (answers may use goblin, elven, wizardish, or Arabic maths; we're not picky.)

Bonus Quest: (to complete by the 16th) paint something that looks like it has a Zap-beam, Death-ray, Phazer-bank, etc. 

Let's get the bonus out of the way.  Not going to happen this weekend.  I'll be in three performances of Wizard of Oz, occupying at least 12 hours of the weekend.  

Near Future Weapons: First, I think we have to finish out the robotic suits that will enhance strength and endurance needed to carry the weaponry.  Then we can begin to add in stronger powered weaponry.  I still think railgun technology is going to be too far away as the size requirements are still not in the usable scale. I think the most likely will be an accelerated particle though as it will need to be able to deal with stronger armor than in the past.  Also, incorporating lock on targeting and trajectory inside the suits is going to be important with the jump jets / rocket boots they will have.  

Do I have any models? Nope.  I have a lot of books, but I don't have a good sci-fi RPG that would even have me trying to get figures for it.  Discounting all of the Space Opera action figures I do have, of course.

Sure, I was influenced by Space Cadet, Armor, Aliens, Starship Troopers (book... not movie), Ender's Game, and wayyy too many more, but few people I know have read any of that.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Sergeant_Crunch said:

I'm from Ohio, so take what I say through that filter.

I'm from Ann Arbor, so I know you will hold that against me. :lol:

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TGP said:

The weapons of the future will be rocks and sticks, as it should be with any apocalyptic future.  :blink:

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Very near-future weapons will be like the weapons of today.  They'll be more efficient and "smarter" but there won't be significant changes.  I'm skeptical about things like caseless ammunition or drone tank turrets because they were depicted as near-future weapons in the early '90's (at least in the Twilight 2000 RPG).

I have no idea what the next "game changing" weapon will be.  I'm pretty certain it won't directly come from anything currently under research (so things like laser weapons, sonic weapons, etc.).  (If it were possible to weaponize those reasonably, we'd see more deployment of that technology.)

I have a lot of BattleTech miniatures (although it's probably less of "a lot" than someone else's "a lot").  I have a collection of Bandai Gundam kits assembled.  I also have a couple of Macross kits that I haven't assembled, which I was planning to paint up as BattleTech (Unseen) display pieces.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Near Future Weapons - Autonomic Weapon Systems.

Scifi minis - Yes I have 20 unpainted superheroes and such.

Bonus Quest - Sorry..no time for that.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Near future weapons: Energy beam type weapons. EM pulse bombs. We're technologically dependant on so many things that frying electronics will cripple a lot of things. And me with a pacemaker.

Sci-fi: A few of the old Ral Partha Battletech mechs. A few futuristic troopers. Soon to get a bunch of CAV minis.

Bonus: Not this weekend, at work camp.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Future Weapons - I like to think that it will be all about getting humans off the battlefield, so more drones and unmanned things, but hopefully no Terminators.

Sci-Fi minis - More than I ever thought I would, realizing Warhammer 40k was just fantasy in space really opened the floodgates. I don't have any really Sci-Fi Sci-Fi minis though (like from the Infinity range etc.).

• Like 6

Guess I have to change my answer.  I have now acquired some Sci-Fi models, if CAV figures count... though I don't have them in hand yet.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TGP said:

There are some interesting technologies out there:

• For the Navy powderless projectile propulsion such as railguns.  Why the Navy?  The power requirements are high enough that you need a direct line to a power plant i.e. a nuclear vessel.  Such weapons also extend a ship's effective firing range a lot, which is why the US Navy has built protypes.  Eventually such weapons may be optimized to the point they can fit on smaller vehicles, but there's no battery with a high enough energy density to make anything handheld.  Sorry Arnold.
  • Computer assisted targeting keeps getting better.  The last few years as CES there has been a rifle that can turn a tech journalist into a decent shot with the aid of a laptop.  A world in which anyone can hit a target a few hundred yards away with no training is close.
  • Drones are already being used and will only get more effective.
  • Exosuits are in development as well.  Companies like Amazon want them in their warehouses to assist human workers, but the military potential is pretty obvious.
  • Cyber disruption will also be huge.  Not good for your fancy weapons or your country's power grid to get hacked.

Yes.  Whatever came in the core Bones I/II/III sets, maybe 16 Infinity models, and a larger piece from Scale75.

Not happening.  If I paint this weekend it will be for my exchange partner.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, TGP said:

#1 More remote control weaponry like armed drones and robots. Better body armour and possibly exoskeletons. Autonomous drones and robots and ways to hack them. Seriously haven't they watched any 80s movies about what can happen? For basic weapons no huge changes. Communications and tracking systems improving.

#2 I'm not going to try and count them. I have good sized armies of squats, eldar, original imperial army, cadians, armoured company and space marines as well as a few battletech minis, a bunch of Epic 40k minis and Renegade Legion tanks. The Eldar are the only painted army with the others mostly assembled but partially painted. I gave up on 40k years ago so they've been sitting in boxes for ages except the Eldar which sit and gather dust on display. Have a scattering of other minis too.

Bonus: No. I'm in full on fantasy mode and in the middle of painting several things. If I do have time and energy it will be used on them.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, TGP said:

Lighter polymers for small arms. Movement away from the 5.56 NATO to something more substantial - it's a round made to kill coyotes, not humans. Good ole Vietnam War and Colt Firearms contract... Also, more use of satellite imaging.

I do have Sci-Fi models. A lot of them, to be exact.

Bonus Quest:

My guys use cased ammunition so that's a no-go.

• Like 5