TGP

Getting to Know Each Other = July Edition

821 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for July 20: Do you like coined names?

I don't have strong feelings, in principle. I would have to judge on a case-by-case basis.

I do like them better than pop-culture inspired names.

I also like that my best friend's niece's middle name is actually "Danger".

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, TGP said:

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Thanks for asking Malefactus. 

Eldrick is a coined name.  I suppose all names are at some point coined, ....made up by somebody. But for purposes of today's question:

James & Tiberius are not coined names...they've been around too long to know who made them. 

Sheldor & Eldrick are coined names...those are new and the perpetrators inventors can be identified.

Thoughts on parents doing such things to their offspring or players doing such things to their RPG characters would be apt responses. 

Thanks for the explanation, TGP.

I do enjoy the coining. I consider coming up with a cool-if-not-clever name the finish of creating a character/miniature.

I am not a fan, however, of the coined names that mini makers seem to enjoy inflicting on their creations; re, some aren't all that bad, but they do  make trying to find a particular miniature that has been tagged with a multi-syllable handle a Homeric Quest.

Edited by malefactus
5 people like this

2 hours ago, TGP said:

I'm indifferent as I no longer have to type them into counseling statements.

6 people like this

2 hours ago, TGP said:

I judge by a case-by-case basis, but in general it makes my eye twitch when people invent wild names just so that their kid can be a special snowflake. See "La-a" reference above.

6 people like this

2 hours ago, TGP said:

At some point all names were coined, so, no I don't have a problem with coined names per se.  I prefer that names be situationally appropriate.  

I remember my parents talking about a friend's child named "Montezuma Quasar LastName".  Montezuma is a great name, especially if you are of certain ethnic descent.  Quasar might be a bit pretentious. That they were caucasian might have raised quite a few eyebrows.  

If my wife and I were taller, we could name a child Chocolate and hope he would play basketball... where he could say, "I'm white Chocolate..." and if there is a dad joke involved in naming a child... you already lost.  Also, make sure you can yell out the child's entire name from your front yard.  If you cringe at any point... DON'T USE IT!

When I am creating an elf in an RPG, the last thing I want is a stock name.  Phonetically, I want people to be able to say it, but I want it to be something entirely different than the name of any person I have ever heard of.  Having a more familiar shortened name that is similar to someone is fine though.  

So, do I like coined names? You bet.  Are they always appropriate? Nope ... but then again, neither are stock names...

8 people like this

2 hours ago, TGP said:

For fiction, yes. For real life, I much prefer weird names that already exist that shorten to something normalish. Like Matrim, AKA "Matt".

3 people like this

Sorry, but you must know somebody was inevitably going to throw this in:

Spoiler
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/16/56/42/165642e58c11d87535c182cc7de45357.jpg

9 people like this

Coined names?

Depends on the name and context. 

RPGs and fiction, absolutely. 

Real life? Very dependent on what the name is. It works for some, not for others. Same for nicknames. 

2 people like this

4 hours ago, TGP said:

Thanks for asking Malefactus. 

Eldrick is a coined name.  I suppose all names are at some point coined, ....made up by somebody. But for purposes of today's question:

James & Tiberius are not coined names...they've been around too long to know who made them. 

Sheldor & Eldrick are coined names...those are new and the perpetrators inventors can be identified.

Thoughts on parents doing such things to their offspring or players doing such things to their RPG characters would be apt responses. 

Thanks for clarifying.

NICKnames, I judge on individual situations. I knew a guy who hung nicknames on his friends, coworkers, and acquaintances, and simply insisted on calling them that name from then on. This led to a ruckus on his job when someone began calling him "[rude word for mentally impaired] $#%&head." And insisted on referring to him by that name thereafter. Led to some conflicts on the job; I don't know precisely how it shook out, as I did not work there, but I do recall it having some repercussions. Some people insist on their names.

I have spoken before about how I respond to a variety of names, but that I find "Captain Kirk" to be a little irritating. A neighbor refers to me by that name, but does not do the idiotic joke associated with it, and she's about a thousand years old, so I put up with it out of respect for her grey hairs. She's not being an idiot, she thinks she's being witty, and she's not being deliberately disrespectful.

As a teacher, I have seen many coined names. In the case of most, I don't much care. A name is a name, and I'll cheerfully call you anything reasonable, so long as it isn't too hard to pronounce, or intended to make the speaker seem ridiculous. "TGP" is an easy designation to pronounce, and not onerous. "Overlord of the Seven Peaks and Abject Master, Wiser Than Thou," I think, is asking a bit much.

Black culture, in particular, seems to thrive on some rather odd names neither of American nor African descent, that have roots in American Black culture, although in several cases, I think they're just making them up. In particular, there is one case I remember; I'll call the kid Michal, which is not his real name, but approximate.

Now most people spell "Michael" with an E in it. His mother did not. I remember his name well, because at our first Parent Night, his mother made a point of screaming it in my face.

"His name is MICHAL, and there ain't no &%#$ E in it!" she had snarled loudly, all WAY up in my face. "All them OTHER Michaels have E's. This one DOES NOT, and you better RECOGNIZE!"

I had made no issue of Michal's name. Considering some of the bizarre things parents name their children, Michal was no trouble. Hell, the longer I teach, the more I wonder if some of them specifically do that just to mess with everyone who will have to deal with their child; we get some with names specifically spelled in such a way as to be unpronounceable on the first bounce... I've had kids who had names like "John," but spelled it "Terhorski." But apparently, Mom has dealt with enough people who tried to tell her how to spell "Michael" that she feels a tad hostile in advance to the likes of me.

I was wrong, of course. That's just how Mike's mom dealt with her fellow human beings. With hate, aggression, and a barely leashed viciousness that led most people to back the hell off because she seethed with hate, aggression, and barely leashed viciousness.  Oh, she also didn't like anyone calling him "Mike." His name was MICHAL, &%#$ your eyes! 

Found out later that she'd discovered he LIKED being called "Mike," and beat the living hell out of him with a belt for it. His name was MICHAL, &%$# your eyes! And you better TELL those other boys that your name is MICHAL! WITH NO &$^#%@$ "E!" AND I BETTER NOT EVER HEAR YOU SAY OTHERWISE!

...so, near as I can tell, there are indeed parents who give their kids "coined names" to make them special. And at least one who did it as an excuse to get all hostile with his teachers.

Kid left home, by the way, and changed his name to "Michael." He likes it when you call him "Mike." And he doesn't visit his mother very often. Wonder why?

13 people like this

Posted (edited)

@Dr.Bedlam I want to like your post to acknowledge your statement, but find that I can't like that rather depressing story.  People like that are the reason I increasingly think that Ultron was right.

Edited by Sergeant_Crunch
10 people like this

Notably, we have a "Michal" right on this very board, and also teaching at ReaperCon.

5 people like this

Posted (edited)

Liked for .. well, solidarity.

I don't mind coined names. Some take a couple of tries to get right (and it irks me something fierce when I come up with something suitable and have to explain three times how to pronounce it, despite it being pronounced correctly by /everyone else at the table/... and that one was simple). Some .. well. Practice.

I despise most variants of my given name; I loathe 'kimmy', for example. My proper name is fine. A simple shortened version is fine. I also will answer to 'Thorne'. No one calls me that in real life, but if they did, I would answer to it.

If somebody's coining names IRL just to wave the snowflake card be unique, that's their thing. Not My Problem. ^^;

Edited by Sylverthorne
4 people like this

6 hours ago, TGP said:

I tend to get more annoyed at stupid fantasy names, or trendy common names, than coined names.  Despite my gut reaction to the "popular" names, there's no point in being an elf-hole to someone about their given name; they had nothing to do with selecting it.  

I have a friend named Dyamond (pronounced Diamond) and she's told me that she never got crap about her name from other kids growing up, only from "adults" that insisted on correcting her or pronouncing it the way they thought was appropriate to how it's spelled.  

4 people like this

1 hour ago, klarg1 said:

Notably, we have a "Michal" right on this very board, and also teaching at ReaperCon.

I know a number of Michals, but they're all women.

2 people like this

7 hours ago, TGP said:

There are coined names I like and coined names I dislike.  It really comes down to the merits of the name itself.

My general preferences are: Any name should be pronounceable and any name should be spelled so its pronunciation is obvious.  Admittedly, "Xiwo Xerase" falls down on the second part because it's not obvious how to pronounce a leading 'X' in the English language.  (For the record, I pronounce it like 'ch'.  The full pronunciation is something like "CHEE-woh CHE-rah-say.")

Also, if you think a name is really clever, please don't use it for a person's name.

8 people like this