TGP

Getting to Know Each Other = July Edition

821 posts in this topic

I'm not going to try to predict one character in the Mirror Universe. This is mostly because I think the mirror universe might be the single silliest concept that TOS ever came up with. (This is a high bar, I know.)

I don't have a problem with the concept of infinite universes, each splitting away at some decision point. It's an interesting conceit and can make for good stories. But splitting so that the development results in the same people in the same positions, but all the societal constructs switched around?* Sorry, that's just being lazy.

And get off of my lawn. you wabbit stew, you!

* We won't get into the whole "facial hair means evil" thing, since that seems pretty reasonable to me. :B):

4 people like this

9 hours ago, TGP said:

Weekend Questioning for July 21st & onward) What do you think Harry Mudd's fate was in the mirror universe? (Enjoy speculating...)

In the TOS universe Harry was a nogoodnik, an insignificant one, and a minor irritant. He was ingenious and a schemer (as somebody pointed out) and a flamboyant dresser.  Hmmm. 

Make him a doogooder, Significant, and a major irritant. Keep him scheming, ingenious, and keep the wardrobe. That is the ingredients for...

Mudd! The Pirate. A robin-hood like figure, commanding a rag-tag fleet of pirate ships who plague the Terran Empire sometimes aiding victims of the Empire. His command ship is crewed mostly by Orion females that he freed from slavery! His wife Stella is the kindliest soul ever and approves of whatever Harry gets up to. He is still a schemer and still dresses like a dime store pirate. 

Some things are constants and others are opposites. 

4 people like this

9 hours ago, TGP said:

Weekend Questioning for July 21st & onward) What do you think Harry Mudd's fate was in the mirror universe? (Enjoy speculating...)

I discussed this with my wife.  We came up with: Harry Mudd, closet philanthropist.

As @NebulousMissy points out, Harry Mudd spends a lot of time creating complex plots to... get rich quick without expending much effort.  (Except for, you know, the plotting.)  He wants to get as rich as he can as quickly as possible so he can retire to Risa (if you haven't seen TNG, it's basically a beach resort planet).  He's greedy and lazy, and more lazy than greedy.  (If he were more greedy, he might be more successful.)

In the Mirror Universe, the personalities of the Enterprise crew are perversions of their normal personalities.  So, for lazy and greedy Mudd, we get... driven and altruistic.  Oh dear.

Mirror Mudd is a wandering trader, selling trinkets and jewels and, really, anything from cast iron cookware to dilithium crystals.  He turns a tidy profit but he uses most of it to support those in need, in secret.  (In a might-makes-right society, philanthropy is not well regarded.)  He has a secret network of people who help him make sure money gets to where it would do the most good.  He asks for no recognition, partly because he's doing it out of the good of his heart and partly because, well, he'd probably be killed if it got out.

When the Terran Empire undergoes its gentler, kindler regime change, Mudd turns out to be an asset to the new regime since he and his people know where the most help is needed, how to go about helping the people, and so on.  He might be uncomfortable finally being able to get credit.  It's a shame about that mess with the Alliance later on, but that's probably after his time.

Oh, and, you know how Prime Mudd is characterized by running away from his nagging wife?  Mirror Mudd's wife is a gentle soul who helps him sell wares and helps him support those in need, and they've been living happily together since they married.  And when they retire from selling and from government duty, they'd be one of those awfully cute elderly couples feeding the birds in the park.

4 people like this

4 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I don't have a problem with the concept of infinite universes ... But splitting so that the development results in the same people in the same positions, but all the societal constructs switched around?

You forgot to account for the reversed polarities. It's all about the polarities. :blues:

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

On 7/20/2017 at 7:05 AM, TGP said:

Question for July 20: Do you like coined names?

Real life: I don't mind so much. For some names, it's hard to tell - it's a cool thing about so many cultures in the US. A lot of names that I really love and sound neat just end up being spinoffs or diminutive forms of other words, and a lot of times that's not so bad. For example, Kieran sounds and looks awesome, but it's really just another name from Ireland. Ciar -> Ciaran -> Kieran.

Going a little too wild with that is sure to lift some eyebrows. Poor Kiiaryne (example from Ciar above), Feloni (yep, someone did that), Abcde ("Abassady"). :< Names simply imposed upon children for the sake of standing out like that (I'm so sorry to hear that story, Doc) are terrible. I do think it would be cool to have the opportunity to pick your name!

Characters: Absolutely. Some of my character names come off the top of my head or when I smash the keyboard. I'd like to think they're all me, but I know they're from bits of other words and names floating around in my head! :;): 

Morihalda, Lexosceles, Seyda, Vair, Nahtana, Yatul, Paala, Jihn, etc...

Or I'll pick a name I like/made, and make more off of that name until I settle with one of those.

Talanor sounds like an elven ranger/hunter, any gender.
Talinar, Talahnor, Talanore, Talinore, Talah, Talara, Telara, Telaran (M), Telanari, Terellan (M), T'rella, Trahala, Laharna, etc...
Calassar would be someone who has really high ideals and good intentions.
Calessar, Callesar, Caelas, Calesa, Callessan, Celadar, Seladar, Selanon, Selanar, Selenari, Selendil, etc...

That's a lot of squiggly red underlines. :lol: 

Edited by Morihalda
3 people like this

Posted (edited)

On 7/21/2017 at 0:54 PM, TGP said:

Weekend Question ... July ... 22nd) Do you have a clue what the mirror universe is?

I thought I did. But I thought there were just four episodes of it. Then I looked it up. There there are 8.5 episodes, most of them part of DS9. 

This morning it hit me: Mirror Mirror Universe is a story arc that spans three different television series and at least 4 (or maybe 5?) decades. That has to be some kind of record.

Edited by TGP
2 people like this

Follow up thought to the Mirror Universe:

I'll stick with the Multiverse and the incarnations of the Eternal Champion.

After that, I'm hanging out in a galaxy far far away.

And eventually I'll get back to Jean-Luc Picard and sometimes maybe Kirk too, but I'll admit, aside from trying to learn Klingon in high school (with the help of a new book) and watching some here and there I have seen far fewer episodes and read far less books than nearly every other series I have participated in.  Maybe I'm just more agreeable to the movies in this venue.  And spin-offs... actually, let's be honest.  I've seen Galaxy Quest more times than any single Star Trek movie.  Maybe more than all of them put together...

3 people like this

Weekend Question ... July ... 22nd) Do you have a clue what the mirror universe is?

Actually, yes I do. As a trekkie that has watched All TOS and DS9 Mirror Universe Episodes, it's a universe very very different from the prime universe, though most of the same people exist. 

1 person likes this

On 7/21/2017 at 0:54 PM, TGP said:

23rd) Weekend Essay question: come up with a pitch for either a movie or an episodic series centered and based in the mirror universe.

Why not both? First a box office movie, then a television series. 

Star Trek: Through The Mirror

TTM explores the idea of what happens to the Alpha Quadrant when the Borg arrive. The mirrored version of the Borg (TMB). These Borg build massive Spheres (not cubes) but they have smaller 'scout' craft which are Cubes (instead of small spheres). TMB spacecraft are gleaming white and silvery metal & the glow of light leaking out from them is decidedly Blue not evil-Green. They do assimilate however each member of the collective remembers  and uses their birth name. TMB are beneficent, not ruthless. They are a force for good, not evil. 

They are however, as relentless as their prime Universe counterparts. One star system, one planet, one episode at a time, "The Despotic, Ruthless, Corrupt, and Vile Empires infesting the Alpha Quadrant must be CLEANSED.

Resistance is Futile. We are the Borg."

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

(Edit:  Whoops... This is what I get for returning to this list while the chaos field that suurounds my kids is in full effect.  I thought that read July 23rd!)

On 7/3/2017 at 2:22 AM, TGP said:

Question for July 3rd:

Lightsabers or Phasers?

Phasers.  Ranged weapons for the win.  One shot from a phaser will disable the control panel for the bulkhead door, which will take several minutes to cut through with a lightsaber, by which time I am far away.

Though, my real preference is for the BH-209 plasgun.  It's not as heavy as the BH-250, but still makes an impressive ommminous hummm when armed.

Edited by Grumpy Cave Bear
3 people like this

On 7/21/2017 at 10:54 AM, TGP said:

22nd) Do you have a clue what the mirror universe is?

23rd) Essay question: come up with a pitch for either a movie or an episodic series centered and based in the mirror universe.

22nd: Oh yes!

23rd:  The new series centers around the mirror-universe Tholians, who are a gregarious species starting an exploration and first contact program and runs straight into the Terran Empire.  Fortunately, they are aided by the Romulans, whose well-renowned ambassadorship and negotiating skills help them in contacting and forming alliances with other species to stand up against the barbaric humans.

2 people like this

On 7/21/2017 at 10:55 PM, TGP said:

You forgot to account for the reversed polarities goatees. It's all about the polarities goatees. :blues:

FTFY

5 people like this

13 hours ago, Grumpy Cave Bear said:

23rd:  The new series centers around the mirror-universe Tholians, who are a gregarious species starting an exploration...

It occurred to me that the Tholians in one Universe or the other might have been responsible for it all.  They experimented with creating a rift between universes. Their experimenting caused a linkage for lack of a better word. And that is why it was always the same pair of universes when transporters did something wonky and swapped people. 

2 people like this

On 7/21/2017 at 4:29 PM, Doug Sundseth said:

We won't get into the whole "facial hair means evil" thing, since that seems pretty reasonable to me. :B):

That's why Hubby has a goatee. Plus it's smexy :wub:

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

21 hours ago, Grumpy Cave Bear said:

(Edit:  Whoops... This is what I get for returning to this list while the chaos field that suurounds my kids is in full effect.  I thought that read July 23rd!)

Phasers.  Ranged weapons for the win.  One shot from a phaser will disable the control panel for the bulkhead door, which will take several minutes to cut through with a lightsaber, by which time I am far away.

Though, my real preference is for the BH-209 plasgun.  It's not as heavy as the BH-250, but still makes an impressive ommminous hummm when armed.

Going back a long way (seemingly) in this thought process... I'm not sure why it is either, or... there is no reason a person armed with a lightsaber wouldn't have a good laser pistol blaster at their side.  Why bring only one tool when you are taking on the evil empire?  On the other hand of this, if someone did blast a bulkhead door closed at least you can cut through with a lightsaber (while probably shooting over your shoulder with the pistol at the rest of them coming behind you).

Edited by Grayfax
3 people like this