TGP

Getting to Know Each Other = July Edition

557 posts in this topic

On 7/3/2017 at 4:22 AM, TGP said:

Question for July 3rd:

Lightsabers or Phasers?

Lightsaber.  All day every day.  Not because it is just a light sword.  More it implies that I have been recognized as having force powers.  

As a Consular, I would use them to aid those in need and prevent the sudden swarm of  phaser users from getting out of hand.

37 minutes ago, TGP said:

Questions for July 4th:

How many fireworks have you personally lit or fired? How many fireworks shows have you seen? For those that respond, Please specify whether your answer is: the last five days including today or lifetime.

Hundreds to thousands.  No idea really over the course of my lifetime.

I will say that bottle rockets were our go to firework of choice... until we set the pasture on fire.  Then we were less ... enthusiastic about firing them.  Still miss the bottle rocket fights with my cousins... cause roman candle fights aren't quite the same as the range is so limited.

7 people like this

41 minutes ago, TGP said:

Questions for July 4th:

How many fireworks have you personally lit or fired? How many fireworks shows have you seen? For those that respond, Please specify whether your answer is: the last five days including today or lifetime.

None and none.

No offence to people that like them, but I find the whole thing pretty pointless.

4 people like this

42 minutes ago, TGP said:

Questions for July 4th:

Do actual explosives count? I've 'played' with some really cool stuff that goes 'boom' while I was in the Navy.

Anyway: personally lit/fired---I have no idea, but it's a lot.

Fireworks shows seen---again, I'm not sure, but let's say 35-40.

4 people like this

55 minutes ago, TGP said:

Questions for July 4th:

Last night the sky made its own fireworks, though I posted about it in the wrong thread. ::P:

I've fired several in my lifetime, though I haven't done so in many years. I see at least a couple shows every year, mostly during Canada Day and when the fair comes into town.

5 people like this

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Questions for July 4th:

"Attended" our town's fireworks display this year, which was technically June 24.  I say "attended" because they are held at the park adjacent to our neighborhood so we just set up a couple chairs on our front stoop.  In terms of lighting off fireworks, only ever done it once or twice.  We usually watch the fireworks displays from our house (we have a farm behind our house so we can usually see a number of towns fireworks each year) but we don't go to the actual displays because its too freakin' hot.

6 people like this

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Questions for July 4th:

Personally lit: Many, though none in years. My grandfather used to buy lots of fireworks and we would set them off in his driveway and patio or out on the farm.

Fireworks shows seen: At least dozens, at Disney (-world and -land), at baseball games, at community shows, wherever. Now we live within easy walking distance of one of the bigger shows in Denver metro (we can also see it from our backyard). This means parking in our neighborhood will suck today and it will be impossible to get out of the neighborhood until probably 11:30 tonight, but the show really is very good.

5 people like this

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Questions for July 4th:

Lit or fired: ++Zero, and that's Lifetime. 

Shows and Displays: **None, last five days. 

++1) I would not count naval ordnance of any sort, whether fired in anger or for training, for purposes of today's question.  Even if it did count, my answer remains zero.

++2) Munitions for firearms don't count either. But that would make my answer > zero. 

**As seen on Telly does not count. 

5 people like this

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Questions for July 4th:

Personally lit - Not many.  The state I grew up in did not have legal fireworks, and the town I lived in got paranoid after someone blew off their fingers with a firecracker.  There was a year where we bought some bottle rockets though.

In the last 5 days - 1/2 of a show.  I was driving an could only see them the trees.

Lifetime - At least one years for the past 44, but I wouldn't know the total when you also add in non-July 4th displays.  As I get older though the desire to watch them has declined.  Once you see the really big shows, Disney World, Washington DC, the local community displays pale in comparison.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Questions for July 4th:

Not very many at all; re, they have always been illegal wherever I've lived. Even now, here in Texas where fireworks are readily available around the holidays, I live in a town (they call it a city; hamlet would be my choice of words) where fireworks are banned. I do love the rockets though.

I've only seen a few shows...live that is. Tonight the Yacht Club across the creek from us is supposed to have a show. That I might stay up for...or not.

Edited by malefactus
4 people like this

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Questions for July 4th:

Last five days: zero & one

Lifetime: Enough that I've lost count.  Growing up my parents and grandparents would buy fireworks for us to shoot.  Shows... maybe a couple dozen.

2 people like this

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Questions for July 4th:

I have lit fire crackers and made fire cracker rockets, but have not lit any fireworks.

I watch one or two shows a year. So a minimum of 33 and a possible max of 66.

Silly anecdote. My brother was born on July 4th. If any of you have siblings, then you'll understand the jealousy a young one would have when the eldest convinces you that the yearly shows were for his birthday. I want fireworks on my birthday! XD 

8 people like this

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, TGP said:

Questions for July 4th:

TGP, you have asked the wrooooong question. But because I have seen it, I have to answer it. So go get a frosty drink and a sandwich; this is going to take a while.

IN THE LAST FEW YEARS: none. They're noisy, flammable, and they bother my pets.

IN THE ANCIENT DAYS BEFORE THE OCEANS DRANK ATLANTIS: Um. Lots. Many. Enough to level a small town, at least, if set off all at once in one place.

I grew up on the Mexican border, deep south Texas, and New Year's and the Fourth of July, every entrepreneur with a hundred dollars to invest would scramble into Mexico and buy up lots of Mexican fireworks. Y'see, Mexico doesn't bother with those silly laws restricting fireworks' blasting power, intensity, or anything else; they are wildly dangerous low-yield black powder explosives with chemicals added to make the boom purty and colorful, muy gusto! And all those entrepreneurs, many of whom were not Americans, would rush back across the border and set up roadside fireworks stands, carefully placed outside any city jurisdiction, where the faithful would flock whereupon to buy their kaboomite with crispy American dollars. Muy gusto, es bueno!

When I was small, my grandfather relived his childhood vicariously through me, his eldest grandchild, which worked out fine for me, as it resulted in sudden trips for milkshakes, surprise dime store toys, and predictable trips to those roadside stands, every New Year's and Fourth of July, oh my. We DID have to follow his RULES, which ranged from "we will be safe" to "you have to use the smoldering punk stick to ignite the fireworks, because that's how Grandpa did it in his youth," and "I know you don't give a rat about sparklers, but your little sister loves them, so we're getting some," but this was not onerous, and twice a year in my childhood, we would run out and get a whole paper grocery bag full of dangerous explosives with which to entertain ourselves. It was fun.

It was also practice for my adolescent years, which were equally fun, if somewhat less wholesome and safe.

A thing that is not a thing any more in the US is M-80s, you see. They looked like little firecrackers, miniature sticks of dynamite, same as the Black Cats you can still buy anywhere. But M-80s were slightly larger, and FAR more dangerous; at least part of the fun of them lay in their sheer destructiveness. Set off a Black Cat under an upended trash can, the trash can may bulge a little from the force of the explosion. Do it with an M-80, you wind up with something resembling a metal hula skirt. Do it with two M-80s and a steel 55-gallon drum, and you learn the meaning of "shrapnel." The things were powerful, and many were the stories of some idiot who didn't get rid of it in time and lost fingers, or a hand, or suffered permanent hearing loss.

One day during class, the building reverberated with a "WHOOOOOOOOOMMMMM" sound. I later learned that this was because someone lit an M-80 and threw it in the toilet in the boys' room, and flushed; the firework had gone off inside the pipes, causing all the toilets in the building to erupt like volcanoes and making all the pipes vibrate like tuning forks. Well, naturally, I had to try this, because I was young and stupid, and some six months later, I excused myself, went to the can, produced an M-80 and a match, thumbed the match alight, lit the fuse, and hurled match and firework into the toilet. Awaaaay we go!

I only remembered to flush the toilet a BIT too late, and it detonated while still in the toilet. The toilet cracked into three pieces, and began gushing water. And the WHOOOOOOOOMMMMM sound was heard in the distance, as all the toilets erupted. I was soaked before I knew what was happening. I staggered backwards, slipped, and hit my head on a sink on the way down. This wound up saving my skin, as the principal and several teachers came storming in half a minute later. I came up with some cockeyed story about how I'd just been doing my legitimate business when someone ELSE blew up that stall down there on the end, and the eruption had wettened me and knocked me down! Ow! No, no, I didn't see who did it, all I saw was a blur running out the door....

I was grilled, but exonerated, as no one believed I'd be dumb enough to do that, and then stand there like an idiot, get soaked, fall down, and hit my head hard enough to draw blood; it also helped that when I emptied my pockets, I had no matches or lighter. Plainly I was an innocent bystander. But it did result in some restrictive new rules about when students were allowed to use the restrooms.

Later, we played around with rocket launchers. We'd found that hitting an M-80 with a five pound sledge would detonate it, and my circle of friends and I began experimenting. We found that taping an M-80 to the end of a bottle rocket and then firing the bottle rocket at a solid surface would blast head-sized holes through one-inch plywood, which led to the study of ballistics in order to achieve more accuracy with the rockets. I designed a rocket launcher built from a length of aluminum tent pole, some copper wires, a nine volt battery, and the stock and trigger mechanism from a toy dart gun, and it worked consistently. Comparing notes, and working together and independently, we discovered that even larger explosives could be made by disassembling fireworks for their black powder content, and then recontaining them in larger containers. From there, we actually experimented -- successfully -- with making powder from bulk ingredients from the drugstore, and ground charcoal. We learned how to tamp explosives to maximize their power. We learned about the Munroe Effect. Hell, at one point, we independently invented corned gunpowder; we'd found that the homemade stuff tended to settle into layers in transit, gettin' bounced around in bike baskets, and we couldn't have THAT...

It came to an end, one late summer day, when an experiment with a clip-fed rocket launcher with rifled barrel went awry (rather than the springloading clip feeding rockets crisply into the barrel, one at a time, the spark shower caused the entire clip to cook off, all at once, filling the air with angry and VERY DANGEROUS rockets flying everywhichaway), and after that, someone realized that we were of an age to notice girls, and after that, we all sort of moved on to fireworks of a different sort, with varying degrees of success; these new experiments were less amenable to group efforts, if you know what I mean.

After that, there were sometimes fireworks, but after I moved north, started and finished college, and got a life, they seemed rather pale and quiet next to what I'd gotten used to in my adolescence. 

And now I am old, and it seems like the whole world is only too willing to share THEIR noise with me...

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
spelling error
13 people like this

5 hours ago, TGP said:

Questions for July 4th:

Do tracer rounds count :lol:?

7 people like this

When I was a kid lots. But after I joined the Navy and got to experience 1.1d, 1.4s holds no appeal.

Edit. However using 1.4s to launch projectiles down barrels is still fun

3 people like this

Attended the town festival last night. Small show, still plenty pretty - and LOUD - and satisfying. Thankfully, nothing that whistled. BOOM, I can handle. Whistles hurt my ears. :/

I have seen more than a few of such shows; I still enjoy them.

Lit? Personally? Hm.. nothing fancy, in my lifetime. Sparklers, some of those ground-bloom spinners. I love those.

4 people like this