TGP

Getting to Know Each Other = July Edition

821 posts in this topic

July 4 : As to fireworks none in the last five days, lifetime I've lost count. Illinois banned everything save sparklers, but to me and the companions of my youth this was a mere speedbump. We'd convoy into Indiana where warehouses of exploding goodness lay just across the border. One vehicle would hit the warehouse, the other would find a cozy restaurant deeper in the interior. The Illinois state police would write down the plate numbers of any Illinois residents in the warehouse lot and they could expect to be pulled over within  mile of their return trip. So we'd transfer to the second vehicle which would travel south 40 or so miles and come back on a gravel backroad.

Once we had them the usual uses were bottle rocket tag, both regular and vehicular and setting off hundred round rolls in the vicinity of the police station late at night to keep them awake. Whatever firecrackers survived into the Christmas season were used in execution of random snowmen.

Occasionally someone's father got it into his head that we needed a dose of good hard work. We were given the task of removing a tree stump by the end of the weekend. Having an aversion to hard work if explosives could be applied we spent Saturday emptying fireworks into pringles cans along with a bit of black powder we got from civil war reinactors. then set and touched them off Sunday morning around 7am. Didn't get the whole thing but enough that what was left took only a chain and the truck. The pain in the elf part was the next couple hours of picking up wood bits that had scattered all over the yard.

Another occasion we were supposed to remove the bass from a pond as they were eating everything else introduced into it. The idea was that we were going to spend the whole summer doing this, the bounty was a dollar a fish so we decided to speed up this process with three coffee cans of Kenny's homemade. Which admittedly was less of a firework than a scaled down version of fat man and little boy. A short time later there was thunder on the water, windows shaking in their panes and confused neighbors making phone calls. The bass problem was solved we got paid and thought nothing more on it until a week later when we started getting angry phone calls about how the yard reeked of dead fish as apparently we missed a few during cleanup. The upside of this is that from that point onward the incidences of "teach these kids the value of work" didn't come about with their prior frequency.

As to firework shows, maybe 12 lifetime as I've found the homemade to be more entertaining.

July 5: I have no idea why they'd be called phasers.

7 people like this

If I remember correctly, the production team had quite a discussion about what the weapons should be called... LASER was an acronym, then, but GR didn't like the idea of laser weapons, as he liked the idea of a zap gun with a "stun" setting. They juggled various acronyms such as the CLEB gun or the BEE gun (no, I don't remember what they stood for, only that they DID stand for SOMETHING) before settling on simply "phaser." Not "phaser gun," but "phaser."

Roddenberry, a former cop, did NOT like the idea of a zapulator that looked like any existing weapons; the Federation had evolved beyond that, and phasers were mere tools for self-defense, not "weapons." CIVILIZED tools for defense! The Phaser 1 was a little rectangle somewhat larger than a pack of cigarettes. The Phaser 2 was introduced because the writers complained that it's difficult to threaten someone and create a sense of dramatic tension when the mad killer is waving a little black rectangle at you, and thus the Phaser 2 was more pistol-like.

Twenty years later, he did the SAME THING, only the Phaser 1 was now gray instead of black. When the writers complained, he introduced the Phaser 2, which looked like... a Dustbuster hand-vac. The writers were not happy. Eventually, the Phaser 2 was redesigned into something more angular and less appliancelike, while still not being a pistol.

Phaser-01.jpg.844096dc219e531e4c179ede2a08d218.jpg1e6a989e44cbb334e6abe2cbd381a388.gif.198934bdf4ead32b7c98d828d7847ff1.gif

11 people like this

5 hours ago, TGP said:

Questions for July 5th:

Are they called phasers because they phase people out of existence?

Is that a better explanation than whatever the canonical techno-babble is?

Yes.

Maybe

When in doubt, x=8

3 people like this

15 hours ago, redambrosia said:

@Dr.Bedlam I don't think @TGP did ask the wrong question :lol: Your stories are hilarious!

Yeah, I kinda struck gold with that one... :B):

8 people like this

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Questions for July 5th:

I never spent any time studying this but it was always my understanding that the phaser was a phased laser and nobody cared whether that made any sense or not.

3 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

If I remember correctly, the production team had quite a discussion about what the weapons should be called... LASER was an acronym, then, but GR didn't like the idea of laser weapons, as he liked the idea of a zap gun with a "stun" setting. They juggled various acronyms such as the CLEB gun or the BEE gun (no, I don't remember what they stood for, only that they DID stand for SOMETHING) before settling on simply "phaser." Not "phaser gun," but "phaser."

Roddenberry, a former cop, did NOT like the idea of a zapulator that looked like any existing weapons; the Federation had evolved beyond that, and phasers were mere tools for self-defense, not "weapons." CIVILIZED tools for defense! The Phaser 1 was a little rectangle somewhat larger than a pack of cigarettes. The Phaser 2 was introduced because the writers complained that it's difficult to threaten someone and create a sense of dramatic tension when the mad killer is waving a little black rectangle at you, and thus the Phaser 2 was more pistol-like.

Twenty years later, he did the SAME THING, only the Phaser 1 was now gray instead of black. When the writers complained, he introduced the Phaser 2, which looked like... a Dustbuster hand-vac. The writers were not happy. Eventually, the Phaser 2 was redesigned into something more angular and less appliancelike, while still not being a pistol.

Phaser-01.jpg.844096dc219e531e4c179ede2a08d218.jpg1e6a989e44cbb334e6abe2cbd381a388.gif.198934bdf4ead32b7c98d828d7847ff1.gif

That graphic is amazing - where is it from?

5 people like this

I'm going with Phlogiston* Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation.

* If you wanted to be slightly more sensible, you could go with "Photon", but I don't give Roddenberry that much credit. :poke:

5 people like this

18 minutes ago, Jokemeister said:

I never spent any time studying this but it was always my understanding that the phaser was a phased laser and nobody cared whether that made any sense or not.

That graphic is amazing - where is it from?

I googled "phaser 1 phaser 2," looking for pictures of Dustbuster phasers. I ran across the graphics, and posted them

I did this because it occurred to me that some forumites might not know what a Dustbuster was; I was one of those people who saw Denise Crosby and Michael Dorn frantically zapping bad guys with what appeared to be hand-vacs, and was pleased when they were redesigned into something that didn't immediately make me think about a certain OCD roommate I once had. The phaser 2364 above actually looks less goofy than the actual prop they had on the show.

11 people like this

10 hours ago, TGP said:

Questions for July 5th:

They phase in Antimatter into matter, causing the two to phase into the same existence, causing the destruction and inevitable disintigration.  That's what I always thought (no idea what the actual canonical technobabble is). 

I think that the explanation given makes more sense than the technobabble.

6 people like this

1 hour ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I did this because it occurred to me that some forumites might not know what a Dustbuster was; I was one of those people who saw Denise Crosby and Michael Dorn frantically zapping bad guys with what appeared to be hand-vacs, and was pleased when they were redesigned into something that didn't immediately make me think about a certain OCD roommate I once had. The phaser 2364 above actually looks less goofy than the actual prop they had on the show.

Cleaning up the galaxy one alien at a time. ::D:

8 people like this

2 hours ago, Zink said:

Cleaning up the galaxy one alien at a time. ::D:

Apparently, the writers didn't find dustbusters threatening.

They apparently never had one waved at them by an enraged OCD guy screaming about cat hair.

11 people like this

16 hours ago, klarg1 said:

I'm going with "Polyfunctional Heat-based Annihilation, Stun, and Excavation Ray"

I like this one.

I always thought the little block phasers looked like remote controllers. My brother and I used to use our remotes to shoot each other :lol:

9 people like this

Everybody thank Red ( @redambrosia ) for suggesting today's question. 

:: question for the sixth is being prepped ::

7 people like this

Question for July 6th:

Do you know enough about bbcode and the posting editor to manually format a question like this?

3 people like this

1 minute ago, TGP said:

Question for July 6th:

Do you know enough about bbcode and the posting editor to manually format a question like this?

Negative; I am a meat popsicle.

3 people like this