Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
So here's my latest creation. I tried a different technique this time around by "overbrushing" for the the highlights on the skin and it was . . . ok. I can see it as a great way to speed the process along for a speedier paint job, and might be great for painting armies and units, but it does have its limits when it comes to blending. I'm also not sold on the blending in the armor as it did not blend real smoothly despite my best attempts but its a start at least. As always, any ideas, suggestions, critiques, feedback, etc. are most appreciated!
I have been painting up a bunch of Reaper trolls in the style of swamp frogs, starting with this one:
I whipped up a couple others with brighter greens and more vibrant browns, to middling effect. I think the swamp-dwelling creeps just look a little more natural if they have more murky colors. This one will do nicely as the Big Bad for my marsh adventure. Critiques and advice would be most welcome. Thank you!
Here's the first piece of bog terrain finished.
I originally intended to use a 5-minute epoxy and acetone mix for the water, but I can no longer find really cheap and nasty epoxy — I used to be able to get 40ml syringes for just a couple of bucks, but now the cheapest ones I could find are closer to ten. So, instead I used polyester casting resin, which costs about thirty bucks for a 250ml can.
There are down-sides to using the polyester:
First, it stinks to high heaven while it's curing. Second, the disposable plastic cups I used for mixing are dissolved by it — I had to do a rapid transfer into another vessel before it ended up all over everything. Third, it's very, very clear, which would normally be a good thing, but for this purpose it could have done with being a bit more murky. I added some colouring, but not quite enough, so the water looks more lake-ish than boggy. Fourth, it's quite a bit thicker than water, so the meniscus is more pronounced, and it takes a bit of persuasion to flow into all the nooks and crannies. However, I was pretty much expecting that and I'm not heartbroken by it.
The vehicle in the picture is my 3d-printed 1/100 scale Burford-Kegresse machine-gun carrier.
This is the lovely miniature I received from Pineapple for the Summer exchange. It is a bit late but Pineapple had to start over when parts off the first mini were pilfered and lost. This is the second one and I must say the wait was well worth it!
The basing is well done with a scratch built stone wall to frame the Troll Champion. The skin tones, although unexpected is just perfect for the mini and the touch of Orange I usually request appear in the hair/horns and finger/toe nails! The combination is perfect!
Without further preamble here are what you all want to see... The Pictures!
I am adding this to my display cabinet as I post this!
Who's Online 15 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)