Mutilatedlips

Marsh Troll - 02609

Your choice of colors & brushwork are OUTSTANDINGAND the base compliments the miniature BEAUTIFULLYVERY WELL DONE.

15 minutes ago, hdclearman said:

I wonder if he knows he sat on a fish.

..if not now, in a few days he might notice.

• Like 7

On 7/4/2017 at 11:15 AM, hdclearman said:

I wonder if he knows he sat on a fish.

Lol... that would be troll cologne

I really like the brown, green, yellow-bumps skin thing going on there.   I think I can figure out how to copy that but if you get a chance I would appreciate a brief explaination of the steps you used to achieve that awesome ( and truly grungy ) look.

Good paintin'

Lorne

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pillpeddler said:

Lol... that would be troll cologne

I really like the brown, green, yellow-bumps skin thing going on there.   I think I can figure out how to copy that but if you get a chance I would appreciate a brief explaination of the steps you used to achieve that awesome ( and truly grungy ) look.

Good paintin'

Lorne

Moldy skin base, dark green wash. Highlighted the bumps with leaf green to a mixture of leaf green and yellow. Brown glaze random here and there, the important thing is not to run the brown over the entire skin. 

Thanks...

I had thought the brown was paint painted on lightly over base of green.  I appreciate the heads up, I have some trolls to paint and at least one will be a shameless copy of your fine work.

:ph34r:

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By EvilJames
      Another old mini that I painted at the same time as the Taer. Initially I just primed him white and called it good, but since I was painting the Taer, I figured he'd be a good one to paint along side them since he would have a similar color scheme. He was also equally a pain the %&^$#@ elf to photograph, didn't matter if I was using a neutral background or my dungeon tiles. he would inevitably be washed out and or blurry. while trying to experiment I got a decent picture of him on top of my trash can out side.

This guy is very much based on his art in the Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume One. Drawn by one of my favorite D&D artists Tony Diterlizzi.
      Hmm blown up it's still a little blurry now. I don't get it, the S8 is supposed to have an awesome camera, but it seemed like I was getting better pictures with my wife's old Ipad. I really thought I had finally gotten a picture of him that actually worked. Might try and fix this later as well.
    • By GodOfCheese
      At some point while I was painting him, the troll kind of shrunk. It was like he was exposed to sunlight and it caused him to shrivel up into a low crouch.  One could imagine that he's ready to pounce upon a Halfling, or is raising his hands in surrender to a much smaller aggressor.  Or some kind of bizarre bonesium catastrophe befell him.
      I know I could have warped him back into place if this had happened BEFORE I started painting him, but I've never seen it happen AFTER the mini has cooled.  Has anyone else seen that?  If so, what causes it, so I can NOT do it again?  

I'm otherwise pretty happy with how ugly he is.  In particular, I tried a different basing technique that LittleBlueberry described for me awhile back, which is definitely fun to do.

• By Auberon
      Also for the 5E game, I've started working through my backlog of Bones monsters.  While the DM is used to minis, the other players are new to the game and are not. Until we get them trained I'm mostly sticking to Bones and leaving my nicer metal minis at home.  Anyway, first up is the Marsh Troll. It was painted using the glaze method that Antimatter promotes for quickly painting scaly beasts to tabletop.  This wasn't quite up to his speed, but it was still pretty fast for me.

And for those that followed my WIP, here's a better shot of the the magenta base after water effects were added.

One more ready for the table.

• By CoolAliasHere
      So, last night, I had a particularly bad night at work.  As I am trying to be more health concsious, I came home and sat at my desk.  Instead of downing a 1/2 a bottle of bourbon, I opted to spend the next 2 1/2 hours painting this while trying to clear my head.  It worked.  He's not Reaper.  He is an Oni from the Massive Darkness board game.  I drew heavily from World of WarCraft on this one.  For those of you that have played it, I felt the model greatly resembled a Troll.

The paints are all Bones MSP, and some washes from GW.  Overall, for a piece I just wanted to get done, I think he came out pretty well.  I didn't even start him until after midnight, and I wrapped him around 2:45am or 3am.  By that point I was exhausted, and wasn't really concerned with anything but finding my way to bed.

CAH

• By jonaas33
      Painted up this Mountain Troll up over the weekend.  I decided to go with an Ice Troll look, and I think it turned out pretty nice.  I normally paint my main colors and then use a heavy wash to bring out the details, but this time I tried something different for his skin.  I used a light gray base coat over all of the skin areas, then dry brushed two layers of blue on the back/arms, and some bone color on the stomach and chest.  I really like how it turned out, but it made touch ups from the armor pretty tricky.  I also noticed some pretty bad mold lines after I took the pictures, so I need to be more careful before I start painting to those up.  Overall, I really enjoyed painting this fig and look forward to unleashing him on a party of adventurers!  Critiques and advice are always welcome!  Thanks in advance!

• Who's Online   14 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)