Jubilee

Shuttle Schedule question?

Has there been any decision/announcement on what the shuttle from the hotel to convention schedule will look like?  I'm considering coming with my 1 year old and he will need to take naps, which means we will need to go back to the hotel a couple of times during the day.  Is using the shuttle a viable option or do I need to rent a car?

• Like 2

I think I would seriously recommend a car for that. The shuttle might be a viable option but you are going to spend as much time on the shuttle bus as you will at the convention. I have been there and done that.

My oldest was practically raised at game conventions you would be astonished where they will fall asleep.

Edited by Heisler
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Heisler said:

I think I would seriously recommend a car for that. The shuttle might be a viable option but you are going to spend as much time on the shuttle bus as you will at the convention. I have been there and done that.

My oldest was practically raised at game conventions you would be astonished where they will fall asleep.

Thanks for the perspective, a car is probably the best bet.  I'm really anxious about trying to contain a mobile 1 year old at Reaper and on the fence about even going this year.  I'm afraid it'll be like going to the trouble of flying all the way there to spend most of my time trying to keep my child from harming himself, eating inappropriate things, or annoying other people (or doing property damage to their stuff), all of which are things I can more easily manage at home without having to go to an airport first.  My husband would be along, too, but it's not reasonable or fair to expect him to do all the baby wrangling.

We took him to a weekend convention near home when he was 4 months old, but he was content to sit in his stroller and chew on things for the most part.  I don't envision that will be the case in October. :(

• Like 2

Do they still make those backpack harness things? Is that an option?

As much as some people can get weird about that, it might be of help to you; kids are /fast/. And there is much shiny. ^^;

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

Do they still make those backpack harness things? Is that an option?

As much as some people can get weird about that, it might be of help to you; kids are /fast/. And there is much shiny. ^^;

Maybe?  I'm not opposed to those.  Baby is just on the verge of figuring out crawling, so he'll probably be somewhat new to walking, if he is walking yet, by October.  I'm not as much worried about him walking/running away as him falling down, knocking things over, trying to eat small bits he finds on the floor, eating power cables, etc, etc.. not to mention generally being bored and restless and, well, a baby :)

• Like 5

Or you may suddenly find that the wee one has a lot of new aunts and uncles.  You know, thirty years ago, saying that out loud wouldn't have been weird.  Today, typing that out, I'm conscious of the guardedness in some areas of society (not without justification).  So if protection is your thing, that may not be your option.  If you want to extend your safety net after you get to know some people, it might make for a more enjoyable time even if you're sitting at the same table but not having to hold/contain/entertain them the whole time.

• Like 3

I would also recommend renting a vehicle. Will your significant other be with you? I only ask because a lot of the festivities are on schedules and may or may not coincide with your child's schedule. Doing everything solo would be pretty difficult. Going to a 10am class? If your child needs a nap it would be impossible by yourself. And if you rely on the shuttle, you might miss it. Forgot diappers/change of clothes and have to go back to hotel? All of it would be easier with a rental. Plus you have extra safe storage space for toys/supplies.

Edited by Mr Melons
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Grayfax said:

Or you may suddenly find that the wee one has a lot of new aunts and uncles.  You know, thirty years ago, saying that out loud wouldn't have been weird.  Today, typing that out, I'm conscious of the guardedness in some areas of society (not without justification).  So if protection is your thing, that may not be your option.  If you want to extend your safety net after you get to know some people, it might make for a more enjoyable time even if you're sitting at the same table but not having to hold/contain/entertain them the whole time.

She already knows most of the people that will be attending, at least in artist row. Jubilee has taught at ReaperCon for number of years prior to this.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Heisler said:

She already knows most of the people that will be attending, at least in artist row. Jubilee has taught at ReaperCon for number of years prior to this.

I assume that's why she is asking: Jubilee knows them entirely too well.  They're a vicious, testy, and downright disreputable bunch.  :poke:

Ron

PS:  Yay!  Jubilee, hubby, and baby might be attending!

Edited by vutpakdi
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Heisler said:

Still good for new attendees to know though.

1 hour ago, vutpakdi said:

I assume that's why she is asking: Jubilee knows them entirely too well.  They're a vicious, testy, and downright disreputable bunch.  :poke:

Ron

I know I wouldn't want to leave a mini melons with the artists for too long.....they'd want to take it with them. I know for a fact @Corporea would never want to stop snuggling with them.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Grayfax said:

Well, our child is delightful, cheerful, and friendly, but I hate to assume that other people will want to participate in keeping him entertained and/or from killing himself. :)

4 hours ago, Mr Melons said:

I would also recommend renting a vehicle. Will your significant other be with you? I only ask because a lot of the festivities are on schedules and may or may not coincide with your child's schedule. Doing everything solo would be pretty difficult. Going to a 10am class? If your child needs a nap it would be impossible by yourself. And if you rely on the shuttle, you might miss it. Forgot diappers/change of clothes and have to go back to hotel? All of it would be easier with a rental. Plus you have extra safe storage space for toys/supplies.

Yah, my husband would come if we decide to go.  I probably will skip classes or most scheduled events, except for judging.  I'm trying to also manage my expectations/schedule in a way that I'm not in conflict with the needs of our child (who will probably still be breastfeeding a few times a day, even if my husband is doing the wrangling, he doesn't have the equipment for that).  So mostly, I just want to hang out and see friends and pretty models. :)

• Like 6

2 hours ago, vutpakdi said:

Ron

Yes, they would probably encourage budding toddler antics rather than discouraging them :)  I'm hoping to go, just anxious about how Evan will do.  We're leaving for model expo tomorrow, so it should be instructive and help me make a decision.

• Like 4

@Jubilee I fully expect my wife will offer to entertain and do things with the baby.. with Grandchild #6 due in august she'll be in baby withdrawal by RCon. 

• Like 7

As far as i am aware there will be a shuttle bus, with a very similar schedule to last year's.

If you want to control your comings and goings, I suggest arranging private transportation.

• Like 2

The hotel was also very good about allowing us to call for their bus to and from the event center..

• Like 3