Limey72

Info on inks

11 posts in this topic

Has anyone tried these with minis, saw them today and wanted input before buying

IMG_2624.JPG

You know, I've been wondering the same thing. Back in the 80's I used their airbrush paints, and they were really nice. Very transparent and vibrant. LOL, I just noticed your location. Maybe we have been looking at the very same package! Hope we get some input,

I use inks all the time but I have never tried those. I use Liquitex Professional Acrylic Inks. I can't read the packaging in your picture, if they are water soluble they should work fine on minis.

3 people like this

Just looking at their website (sounds like the boot maker, but isn't), they show which inks are suitable for brushes and airbrushes. The India Inks fit the bill.

A short list of their brands (from the 'About Us' section of their webpage):

• Radiant Concentrated
  • Spectralite Liquid Acrylics
  • Hydrus Fine Art Watercolors
  • Iridescent Calligraphy Colors
  • Bombay India Inks.

There are even some color charts for reference.

1 person likes this

I have that exact kit.  The inks themselves are decent, but I've only used them on paper, not miniatures. The kit comes with a single eye dropper, and I found that cumbersome.  I also found a different recommendation for Daler-Rowney ink, which is what I use to make custom washes. 

Just a heads up folks just got them today and not had time to try them but the store I saw them in was selling for $70 amazon where I ordered $25

6 hours ago, Limey72 said:

Just a heads up folks just got them today and not had time to try them but the store I saw them in was selling for $70 amazon where I ordered $25

Yikes, $70?! Even the manufacturer's website sells it cheaper. Even the 1oz bottle set.

Though I'll be curious about the results and how they compare to Liquitex.

2 people like this

I will mess with it today and post a pic

This was done very quick and sloppy but a base coat of candlelight green, wash of grass green ink then a watered wash of regular green,  not bad for uncontrolled sloppingslipping

IMG_2639.JPG

IMG_2640.JPG

IMG_2641.JPG

8 people like this

I've never had good luck with using inks.  Always seems to mess up my paint job.  I guess I need to get out some of these Bones figures and base coat and practice.  Just wonder what I am doing wrong.

I watched a few videos this came out ok but I think it's all about getting the right mic