Jordan Peacock

Secret Weapon Miniatures - Tablescapes, Fallout Style

Progress on the car wrecks:

junked__cars__cars_by_jordangreywolf-dbh

No doubt I'd get better rust effects if I used some sort of weathering powder, but for now I just spackle-painted a bunch of stuff.  I used a dark pumpkin orange to trace areas that were supposed to be trim, splattered some grey mix wash onto the cars, dabbled on some more wash, spattered with black paint, mixed some black with the pumpkin orange to get a super-dark "rust" area, then did more "spackling" with the resulting dark brown, the lighter pumpkin orange, and a few specks of golden-tan, with a lot of back and forth.  In retrospect, I really should have just base-coated all of the cars; the shiny, un-scuffed original plastic looked too much at odds with the rusty grunge, where it peeked through.  "Doc" is in the foreground on the left, "Flo" is on the right, and "Luigi" (which was later in my efforts -- and I decided to spray THAT one with Rustoleum rather than leaving it shiny banana yellow) is in the back.

"Luigi" is noticeably out of scale when placed next to a 32mm scale mini -- too large of a car for the mini.  I really should have figured as much, as Luigi is supposed to be a small car, but these are Happy Meal toys, and some kid would surely feel cheated if he got a toy that was clearly half the size of any of the other cars, right?  So while it's still visibly shorter, it's far TALLER than the other cars.  I think a Super Mutant might be able to drive this thing -- or at least cram into the driver's seat, hunch over the wheel, and make "Vroom-VROOM!" noises to his heart's content.

I still haven't found a suitable solution for the windshield/roof of the "Ramone" cars, which is pretty sad.  "Ramone" is (like Luigi) based on a 1959 model of car, so a little bit late-era for the Fallout look, but "Ramone" still has those diagonal FINS that really drive home that retro aspect.  With some sort of bubble-dome cockpit, I think it'd be perfect.  I'm half-tempted to get out a hair dryer and see if I can experiment with blister plastic to get it to curl.  Even if the end result ends up looking misshapen and molten, it might not be out of place for a post-apocalyptic car wreck.

Edited by Jordan Peacock
  • Like 7

Here's a figure-next-to-car picture for some scale context with a "Child of Atom" that I kit-bashed out of an old "Vor: The Maelstrom" (40-403 Neo-Soviet Officer) miniature and some putty and scrap.

fallout_child_of_atom_by_jordangreywolf-

The terrain is an old, OLD terrain piece from ages ago, where I first experimented with pouring resin for water effects, discovered that anything shy of several coats of house-paint latex is insufficient to protect foam-board terrain from doing horrible things when you pour clear casting resin over it, and also discovered that the dratted stuff is going to be a dust magnet and stay tacky FOREVER.  (Or, at least, it hasn't stopped being tacky and disgusting *yet*.)  Oh yeah, and what was once clear ends up turning dirty-yellow over time.  But, hey, for a post-apocalyptic sludgy stream bed?  It works just fine for that.

• Like 9

Cool project. I like how you created the details for car and truck parts using the old toys. Keep up the great work!

Edited by OneBoot
Removed commerce link

I put the "Ramone" cars on the back burner, as I had no ready access to some sort of suitable replacement for the roof, and I didn't trust that I could get a decent result by trying to Dremel out the "windows" and end up with something that didn't look ... well ... Dremeled out.  I considered the possibility of turning both cars into convertibles, with a replacement windshield made of blister plastic, but another thing that bugged me was that so far my car wrecks just look OLD, not "retrofuturistic."  (Okay, so maybe "Flo" looks a bit retrofuturistic, but that's just one.)  What if I could replace the roof with some sort of a dome top?  That might evoke more of a "Jetsons" or "Lincoln Futura" feel.  The trick is in finding a plastic dome of suitable diameter and depth (a total half-sphere would look silly) to do the job.

While at Sci-Fi City and checking on an order of Cockatrices (and informing the manager that I'd heard from someone at Reaper that, no, they ARE NOT discontinuing their pewter minis, and still in fact make them), I noticed a few "gumball" style dispensers of junky little toys.  Among them was a "Zombie Nation" dispenser that offered ~2" plastic "acorn"-style prize capsules ... oh, and also some random ugly zombie mini inside each one.

After a bit of wrestling with the machine to get it to actually dispense my paid-for "prize," I managed to get two capsules.

21122367_10212011911325628_2221695966948

The 2"-diameter dome is not only a bit too wide for the car, but it's certainly too tall.  A 40mm round base (pictured atop the purple car to the left) is much closer to the diameter I was hoping for.  But in this case, "too big" is definitely better than "too small."

• Like 2

21013848_10212011911285627_2410049573506

I fit the 40mm round base inside the capsule dome, then took advantage of the translucence of the dome to trace a line around the rim, serving as a cutting guideline.  I them used the Dremel cutting wheel attachment to work my way around the edge (a bit cautious, since I was afraid of making the thin plastic crack, or cutting too far inward).  I then did some clean-up of the "crumbs" and "threads" of distressed plastic along the rim (shown on left).  I'll try to figure out a use for the remaining semi-cylinder shape later on.

• Like 3

20988983_10212011911245626_1834976240426

To make room for the new dome top, I used the Dremel cutter to remove the roof from the "Ramone" car, revealing the mechanism inside. I'm leaving the mechanism in place, since the "frosted" look of the plastic dome doesn't make it all that visible anyway, but I opted to cut off the two vertical tabs inside (since they were too much at odds with the idea of a driver and passenger seat being somewhere under the dome).  

16998777_10212011912485657_4510896950198

I'm a bit nervous any time I get out the Dremel, because "The Dremel can be your friend ... and the Dremel can be YOUR WORST ENEMY."  Fortunately, I didn't have any incidents with the Dremel trying to break loose and go on a grinding spree or other such silliness, nor did I have random plastic cracks.  After I took the photo, I went back and shortened those two vertical tabs, since they were visible through the dome as clearly interfering with space where there really ought to be driver and passenger seats instead.

As can be seen (and as should be expected), the ROUND edge of a dome isn't going to match up perfectly with the somewhat more square-like base of the roof.  Some gap-filling is in order.  That's where the putty comes in.

Edited by Jordan Peacock
Added another photo
  • Like 5

21015950_10212011912685662_8253504404795

And here's where I had to leave off early this morning.  I started applying some epoxy putty as gap-filler, but I didn't want to apply things too thickly at first: I want the initial bits of putty to cure a bit so they can serve as structural support (rather than bowing in under pressure from applying more putty on top of that), so I can apply a bit more in the evening, and then try to smooth things out some more.  I used some leftover bits of putty to turn the front tires into "flats."  I'll use some more to freeze the wheels in place (no sense in a junked car rolling across the table on its own), and to turn the rear tires into "flats" as well.

For the paint job, I'd like to preserve as much of the original paint job (particularly the "flames" and "pin-stripe" details) since they look interesting, but since this is supposed to be a post-apocalyptic junker, I'll also be adding some "grunge" and "rust spots" and such.  Since I am unlikely to be able to make a smooth transition from the original yellow to get a perfect match painted onto the areas of putty, there will probably be a lot of grunge and rust accumulating in my paint scheme near the base of where the dome attaches.

Once I get that done (but before I glue the dome down in place), I'll try doing the same to the other "Ramone" car (the purple one).  I'd like to have the loose dome on hand to serve to double-check the size of the second dome bubble top I cut out, since I'd like both of them to be as similar as possible.  After all, both of these should represent the same model of car -- just different paint jobs.

• Like 6

Here's an update on the "Ramone" conversion, along with some more Tablescapes "Urban Streets" tiles:

showdown_at_the_frosty_bar_by_jordangrey

The sidewalk tiles and foreground pavement are Secret Weapon Miniatures "Tablescapes" tiles.  Two converted Happy Meal "Ramone" cars with bubble tops are in the foreground.  The "Frosty Bar" is a Bachmann Plasticville O-scale model kit.

• Like 7

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SamuraiJack
      About
      A ground-breaking tabletop building system, made of durable, highly detailed, precise laser cut MDF and grey board. All buildings come ready to use, no glue required. THIS IS NOT A KIT!
      This unique system for 28mm tabletop games and RPG's uses strong earth magnets to attach the building exteriors (skins) to a base box. 
      Construction couldn't be simpler! The magnetic system means the buildings can be easily and quickly assembled, disassembled and reassembled over and over in various combinations. 
       PLAY Not only can you change skins to create different building combinations from within a range, you can also select skins from other ranges depending on the game or period you wish to play. This cross-game terrain system means you can build a Wild West town one evening, then just by changing the skins on the base box, a fantasy village for a wargame the next. 
       PLAY All skins are pre-assembled and designed to flat-pack away. This  makes transportation much easier and considerably cuts down storage needed, keeping everyone happy.
      What's more, your base box can be used as storage for your figures and other gaming elements, such as dice and tokens.

• By DocPiske
      I'll edit this once I switch from my phone to my PC.

Edit:
      OK, I got these just last week but I wanted to use them at the Origins Game Fair in Columbus, OH, June 14-17, so I got to work the day they arrived and started washing them with dish soap and hot water. I couldn't wait for them to dry so I started designing the layout while they were still wet!

Next day I glued them in place. They are mounted on expanded foam insulation, this particular brand comes in 1/2 inch thickness, 14.5 by 48 inches. It is used to go between 2x4 wall studs, hence the odd width. Any way, it a good size for modular gaming terrain once cut down to 24 inches and doubled up. I used Gorilla brand glue to attache the tiles to the substrate; I knew PVA (Elmers) glue would not stick well to the PVC tiles from trying it on Reaper Bones, and CA (Superglue) glue does not play nice with expanded foam. The Gorilla glue I used dried white; it looks strange against the gray tiles, but as it was all getting painted anyway it did not matter. Two properties of Gorilla glue I had forgotten worked in my favor. First, it requires a little moisture to cure, and so it didn't matter the tiles were not entirely dry after one day. I also used a sponge to dampen the flat underside of all the tiles. Second the glue expands! The tiles don't fit together well and have a lot of gaps, so the expanding glue helped fill in those gaps. I had to go back later and trim some of the excess glue but that was easy with a hobby knife. By the way you might want to use gloves if you're using Gorilla glue; it sticks to skin pretty well, too.

After another day of drying I first painted all the exposed foam with black craft paint to protect it from the next step. I then sprayed the piece with Army Painted black primer; the solvents in most spray paints will dissolve expanded foam, and indeed some on this piece was pockmarked even though it was covered in acrylic paint first. After a few hours I then applied the first, heavy "damp" brush of a slate gray interior household paint I picked up on the clearance "oops" rack at Walmart. I used this kind of cheap interior paint to base coat my terrain; it's cheap and durable, but it takes longer to dry and does not cover as well if not applied heavily. Hence the "damp" brush instead of a true dry brush. Once that was cured I followed up with some dry brushed dolphin gray craft paint. I then used Reaper brown wash to paint all the wood and metal rails. I lightly stippled the rails with some silver paint and then did a second, lighter dry brush with the dolphin gray. The next day I mixed some black and brown craft paint and made a wash, and used some Reaper Red, Green and Blue liners to add some variation to the stone. Once all that dried I then applied a final, very light dry brush of a cream color.

There is more I'd like to do to this piece, like add some lighting and the mine carts that came with the SW KS reward, and filling in some more gaps in the walls, but I think this will do for now. And I have almost half of my reward left yet for another piece.

I really like these tiles; I see me buying more soon. Well done, MisterJustin and Secret Weapon Minis.

• By Ironhammer
      So I had an occasion to create a new D&D character after a brief hiatus from playing, and I wound up rolling a half orc ranger named Logar Quickarrow, a vociferously proud member of the Bison Clan.  Naturally, being the conversion obsessed sort of person I am, I was obliged to fabricate a proper miniature for him.  I apologize for a few slightly blurry pictures, as I'm still trying to get used to my current camera (which is cleverly hidden inside my phone).

After canvassing Reaper's catalog for half orcs and various iterations thereof, I quickly decided that Skreed Gorewillow by Derek Schubert was by far my favorite.  It was merely a matter of transforming him from a spell caster into a ranger.

For reference, here is the miniature as it comes from the factory:

The first step was to remove both the dagger and the burning flask and make way for his new weapons.  Rather than dig around in my parts bin for a matching set of new hands or sculpting a pair from scratch, I decided to simply bore out the existing hands and carve away all the pewter I didn't need and shape it to fit his new weapons.  My character uses a shield in his offhand in melee combat, so to reflect this I also cut away the front two flasks on his belt to make room for a shield which will be hung there.

Next, I dug around in my parts bin for some suitable weapons.  I found an appropriately aggressive looking sword blade which was orphaned from its moorings, however after trimming away a portion of the lower half and rounding it out with a file I created a shaft for it which easily fit inside the hole I had drilled in his hand.  I like my figures to have appropriately shaped scabbards for their weapons, so I traced out the outline of the blade onto a sheet of styrene and cut it out as a starting point for making him a matching scabbard.

Next, I selected and appropriate bow and quiver.  I also dug out a small shield, as my character uses a shield in his the offhand in melee combat.  I drilled and pinned the quiver so that it can be mounted on his back where the figure's original sword would have gone.

After test fitting the shield, I came to the conclusion that it just didn't sit very well on the front of his belt.  So to cover up the damage I did earlier I simply sculpted a satchel where the flasks used to be.  I thought about cutting off the empty dagger sheath from the original figure and replacing it with a completely new dagger, however instead I simply sculpted a small nub at the top and called it a day.  The idea was that the dagger fits almost entirely inside the sheath itself, much like a dark age Seax or a traditional Finnish hunting knife.  At this point I've also drilled and pinned his feet in preparation for basing.  I've also tweaked the shape of his right hand by filing and carving it a bit more so that it closely fits around the handle of the bow I picked out for him.

Next, I created a base using a very handy texture stamp made by Happy Seppuku.  Our campaign takes place in a rather wintery sort of place, so I will go back later and add some small piles of snow to reflect this.

In an attempt to mirror the design aesthetic of his dagger sheath, I sculpted the sword scabbard to match with a raised bulge on top of a flatted base.  I left it otherwise plain, as I intend to hang the shield on top of the scabbard much like a medieval buckler. 

Next, I flattened out the nub of his sword with a pair of smooth nosed pliers to create a rough disk shape to serve as the basis for a pommel.  I also sculpted a flap on top of his satchel.

I then sculpted a fairly basic hilt, using a combination of styles mixing a "viking" type crossguard with a later medieval style disk pommel with a peen block.  I also sculpted a small throat around the top of the scabbard to suggest that it is actually hollow on the inside

After test fitting the buckler, I realized that a portion of the scabbard was just barely visible underneath.  It was probably overkill, but I sculpted a rudimentary belt attachment to fill this gap (because I'm weird that way and can't let things like this go).  I then went ahead and glued the shield in place.

I then glued the bow into his hand and glued the quiver on his back.  I had filed out the opening in his left hand specifically to fit the bow I had chosen for him, so it didn't take much to get it to fit snugly in place.  The bottom end of the bow rests directly against the lower part of the figure's clothing, which serves as a useful second anchor point for glueing (he is a tabletop figure after all).

For the final step, I took the last bits of putty I had mixed and put them in little piles on his base, which I then stippled to make them look like little piles of snow.  Next up is painting!

• By JGroeling
      Recently finished this for @Kangaroorex had a lot of fun playing with the spring theme and a monster. Also first time I've tried to build a flower (wire with paper wrapping for leaves, heavier paper for flower itself, and magicsculpt for some of the other details).

Mama Werecroc with baby Croc, watering a swampflower. 

• By SamuraiJack
      About this project
      The Story
      Hello again from Munchkin Metropolis!  This time around I'm targeting all of you Roleplay Gamers!  With my DIY Dungeon Kit you can now take your game nights to a whole new level.  Being able to customize your dungeons into the format you want makes being a game master so much more fun!  Below you'll see the Base Set that includes the 4 most popular sets, plus the Stretch Goal Furniture Set.  The miniatures pictured are not included in your reward (I just wanted to show how I personally utilize this setup)...Other than that, the picture is exactly what you'll receive. 
      Too Much Information
      I've recently been to the Doc and have been placed on a very strict diet and workout regimen (Working out isn't that strict, it's just 30min of light cardio daily).  But he told me not to do anything overly physical, which for a woodworker means I can't really work.  So, to save my heart and keep my business afloat, I've chosen a campaign that utilizes the laser for 80% of the work...with the remaining 20% being light physical duty.
      Due to the sheer weight of these items, I've worked to minimize the cost on materials and labor as much as possible.   The base set weighs almost 15lb and will ship in a 12x12x6 corrugated box.  Making each set is 8 hours of laser time and about 2 hours physical labor (Which is why I set the delivery date 2 months out instead of 1...but for you early backers, expect me to start shipping rewards within a week of the campaign ending.)  Mostly, I wanted to GUARANTEE delivery before Christmas.  By setting it to October, I will have plenty of time to handle anything that comes up. 
      The base set already includes the 4 most popular Expansions and will make an AWESOME Christmas Gift!  
      The floor pieces are designed so that you can expand into infinity to make those LARGE scale battle zones.  
      You'll choose either 1 or 2 inch per expansion. Each Wall Expansion is designed to be as versatile as your campaign!  
      A Base Set ready to ship (The Furniture Set is in the bag)  

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rwgdesign/the-do-it-yourself-dungeon-kit
  • Who's Online   27 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)