16 posts in this topic
Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
So just a little thing that I finished on Monday.
WIP thread is here if you missed it: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/76415-guindyloo-vs-maal-drakar-in-7-days/&page=1
These are just some of the pictures that I took after I finished when I was half dead. If you want to see something specific, let me know and I can take some more.
Most likely, I will be working on this some more post challenge, so I wanted to get a show off up before I change too much....if that's a thing that I do.
Showing off my freshly painted goblin 7 day challenge Ma'al drakar. This challenge was not what I was expecting. I thought that attempting a miniature of this size in a short time span would stress me out, but apparently I'm weird because this has been the most relaxing week I've had in a while.
Polished and based, looks a lot better now
"Once upon a time there was a evil wizard, who through various nefarious means captured 5 dragons and fused them into one through a devious, powerful spell.
He called the resulting creature "Ma'aldrakar", however was unable to be controlled by him and broke loose not long after the joining. Each head retained its personality and individual mind, and this resulted in a creature constantly at war with itself.
Once free in the lands, away from the mage who had done this to them, the true horror of the situation became apparent. Before long, two heads rose to dominance over the others…. Rezatharnithaza the gold and Nazarangamar the black. Their wills were much stronger than the others, and they wrestle constantly for control of the body.
The other three heads bicker amongst themselves, with Sirathiamora the red being the most dominant of those three, bullying the other two but submissive to the gold and black. Bazarthian the white dragon stays out of fights, being rather neutral and calm, and often will actually defend the bullied copper dragon from Sirathimmora’s abuse.
The movements of this creature are erratic and jerky, for the black wants to destroy the world he hates so much, while the gold battles to keep the shared body away from civilization. The only time the creature moves in a unified manner is when in self defense or hunting food. "
Rezatharnithaza (Gold)– Living in an ancient, lush forest, she guards the surrounding towns and lends her aid to any heroes that require some wisdom and guidance. Her capture came through trickery, with hired mercenaries posing as people in need of aid and luring her to an ambush.
Nazarangamar (Black)– Dwelling in the deep, thick swamps of the south, he is ruthless and often harasses the nearby settlements, devouring their livestock. He has a large appetite for cattle especially. Any knights that would venture into his dimly lit home to find him would find themselves watched, and eventually driven mad as he used his magical skills to cast illusions and diversions, wearing their sanity away and taking delight in watching them lose their minds, lost forever. His capture was a mighty feat, only possible with great magics expended to subdue him.
Sirathiamora (Red) – In her mountainous home, she spends much of her time in a human disguise she carefully designed and established in the royal court of the nearby kingdom. She greatly enjoyed toying with human politics, egging on arguments and inciting fights among the court nobles. Her downfall came when she was discovered by the mage and lured into a trap while disguised, and captured.
Bazarthian (White) – In the frigid frozen north, this quiet and rather neutral white dragon lives with his mate, keeping to himself and leaving the humans and races that live nearby alone. As long as his preferred food of arctic cod and squid were around, he did not much care what the smaller races did. His home, carved into the jutting peak of a sea-side glacier, was unreachable by them anyways. Much enjoying swimming in the frozen waters that would kill in moments one of lesser tolerance, he was a challenge for the mage to acquire. In the end, it was the carcass of one of the smaller whale species, laced with a drug. As soon as the dragon devoured the free meal, he was asleep and captured.
Chronovaxian (Copper) – Preferring the hot desert, this cheerful dragon would often frolic in the cloudless sky, engaging in many chats with travelers and caravans that passed through his sandy home. His capture was the easiest of all, lured into a trap and taken by brute force. The joining had negatively affected him most of all, turning his joyful demeanor into one of despair.
Not gonna lie, I'm really nervous about this one. I may be making a terrible mistake, but I am going to be attempting to paint this giant 5 headed dragon in 7 days with a size 0 brush while working my usual work schedule that tends to run around 56 hours. I will have a 3 day weekend to end it out, but I originally wanted to take a solid week off to do this, but my work situation may be changing in the next couple of months - nothing bad, mind you, but I might not have as much time off as I have in previous years and I'd rather not wait until the holidays to see how things shake out. Let's be real here, doing this particular challenge while working a 56 hour week is not just crazy, it's stupid. But it's what I have to work with and I am probably both crazy and stupid.
I have the added complication that we are probably going to get a lot of throw off rain coming over from Harvey and my area does flood, so I may lose even more hours if I get stuck at the office or stuck in the grocery parking lot waiting for the water to go down. Or the power could go out and I will have to paint by candlelight. Everybody keep your fingers crossed for me that such things will not occur.
So here's my version of the roolz. If you're new to the 7 day challenges, take my version only as an amusing thing to read and check out the Official rules here: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/69639-7-day-goblin-challenge-official-rules/
1) Thou shalt not use any brush larger than a standard size 0. 0 shall be the number on the brush, and the number on the brush shall be 0. 1 shalt thou not use, neither use thou 2, excepting that thou ensures that it is actually 0/2 on the brush. 5 is right out. Once the size 0, being the correct number, be reached, then lobbest thy size 0 brush towards thy foe, who being made of Bones, shall be painted.
2) 7 full days (168 consecutive hours) from when the timer starts are all the time that is allowed in this challenge; whether that time is spent working, sleeping, painting or sobbing uncontrollably is up to the participant. The timer starts with the posting of a picture of all of the many pieces of Ma'al Drakar and the intended brush(es) to be used and a device bearing the participant's local time. The challenge will therefore end at the same time 7 days (168 consecutive hours) later or whenever the task is declared as completed prior to time running out, or whenever the participant should happen to pass out and/or expire.
3) All visible areas must be painted, and all paint must be applied with a regulation brush. Putting a blindfold on oneself in an attempt to bypass this rule will not work.
4) Boiling to correct warpage and scrubbing the model to remove casting residue are the only prep tasks allowed prior to the timer being started. Removing mold lines, greenstuffing or otherwise altering the original sculpt in any way beyond factory spec is prohibited and way not cool, man.
5) All pieces as included in the box set at retail must be painted. This means no pretending that you aesthetically prefer a 4 headed dragon and thus cut off one of the heads to avoid painting it.
6) Each participant must declare in their thread title that it is an attempt at completing a 7 day challenge so that the organizer can make note of the participant's valiant effort and the rest of the community can watch the fascinating downward spiral into insanity.
7) After declaration of completion, the participant will have 2 hours to submit their official entry photos in the Official Entries thread. Up to 5 pictures per entry may be submitted. Failure to submit photos within the given 2 hour period may result in a sudden onset of spontaneous human combustion. It is not appropriate to include pictures of oneself in the official entries thread, not only would that be strange, but everyone knows that cameras steal your soul.
8) Failure to complete the Goblin Challenge in the allotted time may result in the participant becoming a goblin themselves, although in rare cases, the participant may have the option of completing a labyrinth in 13 hours to avoid this penalty. The inclusion of a singing referee in too-tight pants in this additional penalty round is, unfortunately, no longer an option. The participant waves all responsibility of the challenge organizer should they fail and thus become a goblin, or should they lose their head or other various body parts, become trapped in an oubliette forever, or find themselves plagued by an eternal stench.
I will be starting approximately 8 hours from now, or whenever I manage to get home from work. Oh and by the way, I haven't been able to get myself to paint very much for the past few months. Hell of a way to force oneself back into painting, isn't it?
Well... the time is nearly upon me. I'm on my last night of work for the next six days, so it's time to tackle this beastie! Or at least it will be tomorrow, Just setting up the thread and planning my attack. I've painted all the other 'large' things, but this is the first I've seen of the 7-day challenges. I'm actually pretty excited about it. A lot of my normal strategies are thrown out the window because of the rule stipulations and I'm NOT sure I'll be able to get the result I want... I have a plan for the wings, but that may be needed to come back to after the challenge is over... Still not sure yet. I've made a reputation for making the most of the tools I have for interesting results... Just not sure yet about THESE tools..
So yeah... I've got it fitted and washed... I've replaced the paints I needed... and I tied up any brush bigger than 0 and threw them in a drawers to avoid mistakes... Just need to finish out this shift, grab a few hours sleep... and start the clock. The weekend should be fine, but I'm going to lose some time on Monday... I still think I have it in me!!
Frankly the biggest issue I predict is going to be internet access. I have my phone, but I hate typing on that... hence the cut and pasting being done tonight. Still think I can do this though!!!
Who's Online 33 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)
- Paradoxical Mouse
- Kuro Cleanbrush
- Chris Palmer