Jump to content
Crowley

Traveller Character Generator Game

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Heisler said:

I wouldn't say that at all, they served as inspiration for the game but I would hardly say they were ripped off.

 

For me, Traveller always seemed inspired by quite a few different authors: Andre Norton's Solar Queen series, Poul Anderson's Star Trader, Heinlein's Citizen of the Galaxy....

 

As D&D was originally some sort of generic fantasy world, so Traveller began as a generic SF world and only really developed its own character with time and further development.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Reaperbryan said:

I can understand some games where you died (Vampire, Wraith). But while it is absolutely realistic to generate people who have died before the game starts, why even have that as an option for the character the player is supposed to use? I mean, am I supposed to play a buried or cremated corpse for the entire game?

 

10 hours ago, TGP said:

I always figured character generation was sort of a solo play mode. Rainy afternoon, the rest of the group isn't there, no game... ...but two players can take turns generating characters..??..survivors go into a Rogue's Gallery folder, waiting to be used. 

 

Or they end up as NPCs. 

That's how I understood it too. Traveler is full of little mini games. Planet/system generation was another one. So was trade. Floating somewhere out there is a simple text only computer program where you start with a ship with x credits, y cargo capacity on a planet with a b c trade goods, and types to planets 1 2 and 3. The goal is to make enough credits to pay for your ship, supplies, & fuel. I'll see if I can find it...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

 

For me, Traveller always seemed inspired by quite a few different authors: Andre Norton's Solar Queen series, Poul Anderson's Star Trader, Heinlein's Citizen of the Galaxy....

 

As D&D was originally some sort of generic fantasy world, so Traveller began as a generic SF world and only really developed its own character with time and further development.

 

I agree, but the concepts of high passage and low passage and death during low passage pretty much come straight out of Dumarest, including the ubiquitous air raft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

† Scout Bo Han A486BA

Age 26

2 terms

Service History:

Attempted to enlist in Merchants.

Enlistment denied.

Drafted into scouts.

Voluntarily reenlisted for second term.

Death in service.

 

It's no fun dying during character generation if you don't roll the dice yourself.

 

After trying this a few times, it looks like survival depends on being denied reenlistment.

 

Actually got one all the way through to retirement.

 

Merchant 2nd Officer Chloe Pérez

562BB8

Age 42 6 terms Cr21,000

Skills: Auto Rifle-2, Mechianical-1, Medical-1, Navigation-2, Prop-Driven Aircraft-1, Steward-2

Benefits: 6,000/yr Retirement Pay, Auto Rifle, Low Passage, Low Passage Service History:

Attempted to enlist in Merchants. Enlistment accepted.

Commissioned during first term of service as 4th Officer.

Voluntarily reenlisted for second term.

Voluntarily reenlisted for third term.

Voluntarily reenlisted for fourth term.

Voluntarily reenlisted for fifth term.

Promoted to 3rd Officer. Voluntarily reenlisted for sixth term.

Promoted to 2nd Officer.

Retired after sixth term.

 

Also her last three stats are BB8, so I should see about shifting her to a Star Wars game.

Edited by PingosHusband
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

 

For me, Traveller always seemed inspired by quite a few different authors: Andre Norton's Solar Queen series, Poul Anderson's Star Trader, Heinlein's Citizen of the Galaxy....

 

As D&D was originally some sort of generic fantasy world, so Traveller began as a generic SF world and only really developed its own character with time and further development.

 

1 hour ago, Heisler said:

 

I agree, but the concepts of high passage and low passage and death during low passage pretty much come straight out of Dumarest, including the ubiquitous air raft.

 

So it is similar to the way Vancian magic ended up in D&D?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, PingosHusband said:

† Scout Bo Han A486BA

Age 26

2 terms

Service History:

Attempted to enlist in Merchants.

Enlistment denied.

Drafted into scouts.

Voluntarily reenlisted for second term.

Death in service.

 

It's no fun dying during character generation if you don't roll the dice yourself.

 

After trying this a few times, it looks like survival depends on being denied reenlistment.

 

Actually got one all the way through to retirement.

 

Merchant 2nd Officer Chloe Pérez

562BB8

Age 42 6 terms Cr21,000

Skills: Auto Rifle-2, Mechianical-1, Medical-1, Navigation-2, Prop-Driven Aircraft-1, Steward-2

Benefits: 6,000/yr Retirement Pay, Auto Rifle, Low Passage, Low Passage Service History:

Attempted to enlist in Merchants. Enlistment accepted.

Commissioned during first term of service as 4th Officer.

Voluntarily reenlisted for second term.

Voluntarily reenlisted for third term.

Voluntarily reenlisted for fourth term.

Voluntarily reenlisted for fifth term.

Promoted to 3rd Officer. Voluntarily reenlisted for sixth term.

Promoted to 2nd Officer.

Retired after sixth term.

 

Also her last three stats are BB8, so I should see about shifting her to a Star Wars game.

Interesting career, and the first character I've seen to muster out with a weapon. Prop driven aircraft?!? Sounds like you were a crop duster before joining up!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, David Brawley said:

Interesting career, and the first character I've seen to muster out with a weapon. Prop driven aircraft?!? Sounds like you were a crop duster before joining up!

She worked for a cruise line, it had a stopover on a Tech 7 world, a place that featured trophy hunting...from aircraft, but local laws forbade use of air rafts...traditional open cockpit fixed wing planes only (to keep it 'sporting').

 

That also explains the AutoRifle (forgot to add).

Edited by TGP
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

 

Probability of dying during chargen rises with the number of terms you serve. And the more terms you serve, the better your skill set at the start of play. The intent, as far as I can tell, was to make the choice to continue to re-up have the occasional consequence (there are also aging rolls that can cause problems). So, if you have a great character already, do you push your luck for that one more term or take the safe choice and muster out after (say) three terms?

 

Remember that at this point, characters for basically every game were randomly generated, so making a minigame of generation was actually pretty innovative.

 

It's not the design choice that I would have made (or at least that I would make now), but it's not completely bonkers.

That is the first time since I learned of games where you could die during CharGen (Paranoia notwithstanding) that makes any sense. That you gambled as you asked for more power/skill/levels/bonuses that you could continue rolling near infinite times and become VERY good, or possible lose everything.

 

Makes for an interesting mini game.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried it again, and .. got a scout that survived! Now what do I do? ^^;

 

Scout Kana Sun 9ACB76 Age 26 2 terms Cr70,000

Skills: Electronics-1, Jack-o-T-1, Mechanical-1, Pilot-1

Service History:

Attempted to enlist in Scouts.

Enlistment accepted.

Mandatory reenlistment for second term.

Chose not to reenlist after second term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Reaperbryan said:

That is the first time since I learned of games where you could die during CharGen (Paranoia notwithstanding) that makes any sense. That you gambled as you asked for more power/skill/levels/bonuses that you could continue rolling near infinite times and become VERY good, or possible lose everything.

 

Makes for an interesting mini game.

it is also possible to die in character creation in infinity, and eclipse phase (although those just hit you with penalties for getting reanimated)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure, and THAT (like Paranoia) makes sense. What I'd always heard as the horror of roll everything, and since there was historically a 27% chance of death from childhood disease, your character has a 27% chance of having died as a child. And maybe a 10% chance of death on the job where you acquire your skills. honestly, after 30 minutes of rolling, you're lucky you made it out without dying, let that be a lesson to you about how harsh life is on this game world!

 

Except that there's a 0% chance that the heroes of our story are dead, so why put that in there? It only makes sense where death is not the end, as in your examples, or when there's rewards for risking it.

Edited by Reaperbryan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

Tried it again, and .. got a scout that survived! Now what do I do? ^^;

 

Scout Kana Sun 9ACB76 Age 26 2 terms Cr70,000

Skills: Electronics-1, Jack-o-T-1, Mechanical-1, Pilot-1

Service History:

Attempted to enlist in Scouts.

Enlistment accepted.

Mandatory reenlistment for second term.

Chose not to reenlist after second term.

 

Apparently it is letting Scouts live today. 

 

Classic Traveller Character Generator

Scout Mehmet Colombo 9AB6A7

Age 30 3 terms

Cr130,000

Skills: Air/Raft-1, Electronics-3, Gunnery-1, Jack-o-T-2, Pilot-1

Service History: Attempted to enlist in Scouts. Enlistment accepted. Voluntarily reenlisted for second term. Voluntarily reenlisted for third term. Chose not to reenlist after third term.

 

...so the answer (to what now?) is team yours up with mine and look for a ship!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

 

Probability of dying during chargen rises with the number of terms you serve. And the more terms you serve, the better your skill set at the start of play. The intent, as far as I can tell, was to make the choice to continue to re-up have the occasional consequence (there are also aging rolls that can cause problems). So, if you have a great character already, do you push your luck for that one more term or take the safe choice and muster out after (say) three terms?

 

Remember that at this point, characters for basically every game were randomly generated, so making a minigame of generation was actually pretty innovative.

 

It's not the design choice that I would have made (or at least that I would make now), but it's not completely bonkers.

And remember - the design of Traveller was such that in the first edition, character generation was the only way to improve your character - there were no experience points in the first version of Traveller.... The only thing that you could improve was your equipment.

 

***

 

Megan's reaction, when I told her about how characters could die in cold sleep while traveling Low Passage was 'I told you not to fly United'.... ::P:

 

The Auld Grump

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had like 5 deaths in a row... Followed by this guy:

Merchant 1st Officer Ali Smith 5158B6 Age 46 7 terms Cr52,000 Skills: Cutlass-1, Electronics-5, Jack-o-T-2, Mechianical-1, Pilot-1, Shotgun-1, Streetwise-1, Submersible-1, Vacc Suit-2 Benefits: 8,000/yr Retirement Pay, Low Passage Service History: Attempted to enlist in Merchants. Enlistment accepted. Commissioned during first term of service. Voluntarily reenlisted for second term. Voluntarily reenlisted for third term. Promoted to 3rd Officer. Voluntarily reenlisted for fourth term. Voluntarily reenlisted for fifth term. Promoted to 2nd Officer. Voluntarily reenlisted for sixth term. Voluntarily reenlisted for seventh term. Promoted to 1st Officer. Mandatory retirement after seventh term.

 

Pretty sure this guy is a sniper who took out some pretty high profile targets.

Army General Simon Larsen 176788 Age 46 7 terms Cr45,000 Skills: ATV-3, Bayonet-3, Fwd Obsvr-3, Rifle-5, SMG-2, Tactics-1 Benefits: 8,000/yr Retirement Pay, High Passage, Middle Passage, Middle Passage, Middle Passage, Middle Passage, Middle Passage Service History: Attempted to enlist in Army. Enlistment accepted. Commissioned during first term of service. Promoted to Captain. Voluntarily reenlisted for second term. Promoted to Major. Voluntarily reenlisted for third term. Promoted to Lt Colonel. Voluntarily reenlisted for fourth term. Promoted to Colonel. Voluntarily reenlisted for fifth term. Promoted to General. Manditory reenlistment for sixth term. Voluntarily reenlisted for seventh term. Mandatory retirement after seventh term

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A new first for worst -

† Alice Novák 635896 Age 22 1 term Service History: Attempted to enlist in Navy. Enlistment denied. Drafted into other. Death in service.

 

Tried to join the Navy, failed.

Was drafted into a life of crime, and died....

 

The Auld Grump

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Darsc Zacal
       
      I'm not sold on the gameplay, but the tech and potential is interesting.
    • By Darsc Zacal
      Heard about this on the Meeples and Miniatures podcast and thought it sounded like an interesting game.
       
      Fourth Quarter Football gives you the feel of Football, but in a game that can be played in under one and a half hours. There are no endless tables and charts, just heart pumping action focusing on the key skill players (although with the addition of Subs Pack One, the game can be played up to the full eleven a side). The game has a unique combination table top miniatures action with tactical deck building.
       
       




    • By Guildenstern
      Ok so, my aussie friends and us play RPGs via Roll20 every friday and we take turns GMing. After a bit of a hiatus we've come back to my game, which is based in my world I call the Land of Oden. It's essentially high fantasy, low tech (though some exists from the 'previous' world, it's considered anathema) - you've got your typical racial archetypes.
       
      The basic backstory is there are a lot of independent type holdings, and most people belong to a Guild, if they have a trade. Guilds keep the areas safe, caravans going, food grown, and animals, well husbanded. Anyway, so the PCs are all Guild Journeymen off on their Journeyman's quest (a ritual they all have to go through before being considered full time Guild members). By tradition the quest is secret - they can ask for help, but not say "I'm on X quest, help me find Y" kind of thing.
       
      Lots of random quests are easy enough to insert - but here's the thing. I didn't think too far ahead when I decided they were on their Journeyman's quests... and all of them are very different >< I'm having trouble tying them all together =/ I was hoping maybe one of you guys would have some ideas to help out!

      Quests:
      Dariac - Dragon-Slayer (kinda defunct ancient order as Dragons no longer exist): find a red herring (deliberately made it so basically it can be anything)
      Althoniel (Healer): has to find a special plant known to flower perhaps only every 11 years (provided random pic)
      Mud - (Hunter): find the White Stag (not necessarily kill, just needs proof)
      Rosen - (Wanderer - essentially woods guide/surveyor type): needs to survey Khurash Dhenfor (an area no one's been in for a generation, give or take)
      Rincwind - (Mage) - survive to the Guild seat, at the top of the Mountain (planning a surprise for this one, once he gets there)
      Heldin/!s͎tchp - (Elf) - not really the same, his background is he was cursed somehow into the shape of a falcon (!s͎tchp) and ended up travelling with Mud as a companion for a long time, until a recent spate of magic in a Necromancer's Lair seemed to give him the ability to shift, at least temporarily back to his Elven form (it's still somewhat involuntary)
       
      So while this can be an ongoing campaign for a while - and there will be a big Baddie slowing them down etc - I need some way to tie these together >< How do I get myself out of this pickle?! I am a little loathe to simply let them all find out everything they're looking for is in the same place... that seems... just wrong. Idk =/
       
      Help? lol
    • By Auberon
      This one is almost over so I figured it had already been posted here, but if it has my search-fu has failed me.
       
      Trudvang Chronicles
       
      It is well past its funding goal at this point, and I'll probably never play it, but it is still tempting just to help with a translation project and for the art.
    • By heruca
      Anyone who may have missed out on the MapForge Kickstarter campaign...You can now get in on the MapForge Indiegogo campaign.
       
      There are two new videos to check out, even if you already backed the Kickstarter. And the MapForge Beta is available for download, so you can take the software for a spin.

  • Who's Online   14 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)

×