Lt. Coldfire

02986: Eldessa, Necromancer

The Girl could definitely raise the Dead or most anything she put her mind to. She is a BEAUTIFULLY painted & based creation. VERY WELL DONE!

2 hours ago, hdclearman said:

Wow.  I really like that skin

My words exactly.  Just wow. 

Lmao... I am officially old.  I just realized that this is a mini of a semi-clothed drow...  So, yes, that is some fine paint you laid down for the skin tones.   

Stupid little phone screen, stupid old eyes.... 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By buglips*the*goblin
      Want more WIP threads like this one?  Check these out!
      01614 Con Crud 

Hello again, friends and neighbours! 

Several years ago, after the Bones I kickstarter, I made a thread to help people who had just signed up for a ridiculous amount of Bones minis get used to painting and encourage them to just jump right on in!  This thread was even more successful than I thought and, much to my astonishment, brings new people to our hobby even today.  I thought it was time for a fresh update that might be just as helpful, and maybe give us something to point new people to when they first decide to pick up a brush and become One of Us.

Often when new people come by and have no idea where to start, the first general question is: what are your aims and requirements?  This basically breaks down to: do you need pieces done for a game, or do you want to paint just to paint?  The idea behind this WIP is to give us something to show people the difference in practice.  So with the able assistance of Guindyloo, I will be painting Thanis in my usual fast-but-decent method and she will show us how nice things can be when you spend some time on them. 

There are, of course, many ways to paint a mini so this thread is just an example of our present working methods and by no means serve as the only way to do it, or the final word on the matter.  Those of you just joining our hobby may have your own ideas about how to do things, and by all means you should use your own best judgment!  All we do here is just give you some things to think about.

So on to the mini you came in here to see, and I hope this thread proves useful! 

Here's my Thanis, fresh from her blister pack:

• By Ash Adler
      Well, this isn't the prettiest miniature I've painted, but I'd intended it more for practice in getting better at blending and highlighting than to be a fantastic final product, since I think my previous minis tended to have very stark transitions.

Thought process and more photos at: link

On the whole, while it has room for improvement, I kind of like how it turned out.  The blending on the scythe blade could've been better, but I think it's a big step forward from what I was ending up with on previous minis.  The white and yellow still jump out more than I'd like, but the greens at least seem to have a nice transition from about end of the notch to the tip.  The skin could've used a little more highlighting, especially around the right knee, but at least I was able to get the sort of corpsy/sickly/necrotic look that I was aiming for.  I tried to go for a kind of "cast in shadows" look on the face to go along with the hood, and I'm fairly pleased with what it ended up being, though I think the eyes look more like empty sockets than sunken shadows.  The ribs are kind of janky, and I'll just have to live with that.  I do really like how the cloth turned out, though, looking like a dank and rotten shroud that's been smeared with all kinds of dirt and crap.  On the other hand, the base really didn't work out how I'd wanted.  I tried to go for a sort of slate look with a dark blue-grey under some lighter bits, but I really needed to either highlight further or to darken/sharpen the recessed edges, if not both.

Oh well, as I said, this was basically a practice/experiment piece, and if nothing else, I do feel like I managed to learn a little as I worked on it.  C&C welcome.  I'd especially love to hear any tips on how I could've gotten more of a "flowing magical construct" look with the scythe blade, as opposed to the current "colored piece of plastic" look.
    • By Cyradis
      Melody (aka Mel) the Necromancer is complete! She is clearly a Slytherin. 

Adventures: shading green with purple (thanks CMPA), NMM scythe, hiding a bad foot with paint, heck of a tattoo, granite, and accidentally painting a familiar face. 

Mel will be used in my D&D campaign as a potential romance interest to the Necrobard in an attempt to sway him towards evil. 

Some photos are zoomed on face, scythe, and the rock. 

WIP: 

• By Glitterwolf
      Happy Birthday @NecroMancer!!!!
    • By Cyradis
      I do have a princess mousling to alleviate the death and dead stuff painting I've been doing. But I couldn't resist putting a face on this one. Any resemblance to FLOTUS is entirely coincidental, seriously. I think the shading/highlighting toned it down, but the figure does have the angular structure on the face. 

To conceal the mold lines I failed to remove on her exposed leg and arm I'm going to freehand some tattoos. I really should do better on removing mold lines. Oh well. 

• Who's Online   34 Members, 4 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)