TaleSpinner

The Secret Project

45 posts in this topic

Well, I'm Intrigued.  And completely stumped.  Can't wait to see what you're making!

Kang

1 person likes this

More progress:

pin01.jpg.eef2032660b6817d291ecb5f87f81b1e.jpgpin02.JPG.8af536a9b0a0b32aba5b8c31aeea3b50.JPG

12 people like this

Ooooh...shiny.

Finished:

pin.jpg.9487449e4693b63fd96bc76068bbd1f5.jpg

Well, actually it still needs a few minor touch-ups.  The iPad button needs to be scraped, and I need to shore up the brush and knife so they will be strong through casting.

Oh, and I think I now officially qualify as crazy after having sculpted a 4mm miniature of a miniature.

OK, so "What is it?"

This all started about 6 months ago when I was looking for a small project to do in which I could try out some of my new jewelry skills.  I was reading a political site and saw a picture of a congressman wearing a Member of Congress pin.  I thought, how cool would it be if all of us forumites had pins on our ReaperCon lanyards identifying us all at a glance as members of this community.

I contacted @Morihalda and we put our heads together and came up with several designs.  This is a slightly altered version of one of Mori's concepts.

Once cured, I'll make a mold of it to make wax copies.  Then I will use my foundry to cast them up as lapel pins.  If (and this is still a big IF) all that works and they turn out, I will make them for all of us going to the con. I will be posting a Topic in the ReaperCon section when I am ready, asking who wants them.  I should note that this is my own endeavor and I am not affiliated with Reaper in this.

I am considering making two versions, bronze and pewter.  The bronze ones will be for people with forum reputations over 10,000.  That way we can at a glance know that someone is a frequent/long-time poster. I might even consider doing polished silver for the mods and admins, but we'll see if I can afford that (it really depends on how much metal they need; silver is currently at about $30 an oz.; pewter and bronze by contrast are $15 to 20 a pound, so...).

Thoughts, questions, etc...

Oh, and as a second thought, I am considering adding a raised '17 between the U and the paintbrush handle.  The down side of that is it would make this a yearly thing (which might not be a downside; though I really do not know what I am getting into with this yet, labor-wise). Thoughts?

19 people like this

you are awesome.

::D:

7 people like this

I like... but sadly will not be at a reapercon in the near future to actually see one in person when they are cast....::(:

Deeply cool. I'd be happy to kick in on metal if that would help.

8 people like this

Awesome! You rock, Andy (and Mori for the design)!!

2 people like this

Brilliant!  I'm with Doug on the "willing to help".  

4 people like this

I don't want to charge for them as that would break the spirit of the forums and such.  I don't think it will be a problem though.  They are very small.

4 people like this

If you want to add the year, cheat.

Make a mold and cast a blank.  Sculpt on the year, make a mold of that one.

Next year cast another blank, add the year...creatively edit a WIP forum entry to amuse the newbies and show off the next version.

8 people like this

I love it!! :wub::wub::wub:

3 people like this

16 minutes ago, hosercanadian said:

If you want to add the year, cheat.

Make a mold and cast a blank.  Sculpt on the year, make a mold of that one.

Next year cast another blank, add the year...creatively edit a WIP forum entry to amuse the newbies and show off the next version.

Now that's thinking.  Great idea. 

5 people like this

This is awesome.  My forum rep isn't high enough for bronze, but a pewter one would be worn with pride!

3 people like this

2 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Deeply cool. I'd be happy to kick in on metal if that would help.

2 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

Brilliant!  I'm with Doug on the "willing to help".  

Me three of needed.

3 people like this