TaleSpinner

The Secret Project

45 posts in this topic

I would love to have one of these. Would it be ok if I get one even though I can't make it this year?

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I contacted @Morihalda and we put our heads together and came up with several designs.  This is a slightly altered version of one of Mori's concepts.

 

Pretty sure it was all you, though I never mind helping people bounce ideas around. ^_^ 

This is amazingly tiny and awesome!!! 

 

hosercanadian said what I was thinking in much better words!

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Cool idea!  Hoser has it right.  Guys who make plaques do this all the time, they have a blank plaque pattern or maybe a bunch of patterns with different commonly used details sculpted on them, but no text.  The text is attached temporarily, the plaque is cast, then the letters are removed and used on different patterns, and the pattern is used for different letters.  Mind you that is for sand casting, but I don't see why the same could not apply for lost wax.  Except for the reusing the pattern part, obviously the wax pattern is "lost" before that could be possible.

 

Kang

Edited by Kang
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JNf4O3T.jpg

 

:wub::wub::wub:

 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is very cool.  I'm sad that I cannot make any conventions this year. 

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:down:

 

This is not going to happen.  At least it isn't going to happen this year.  I did cast three masters, but it takes so long for me to cast them, and then they need to be cleaned up.  I simply don't have the time to create enough for all of us.  I'm not sure that I ever will.  I can create casts now, but I can't create them in bulk, my setup is just too small.

 

Sorry.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

:down:

 

This is not going to happen.  At least it isn't going to happen this year.  I did cast three masters, but it takes so long for me to cast them, and then they need to be cleaned up.  I simply don't have the time to create enough for all of us.  I'm not sure that I ever will.  I can create casts now, but I can't create them in bulk, my setup is just too small.

 

Sorry.

 

Sorry to hear that, but I'm sure there are things that would be both more lucrative and more fun to sculpt and cast. Do the fun stuff, the stuff that makes money, or (ideally) the fun stuff that makes money.

 

And, by the way, while I really like the sculpt you're using as your new avatar, it's very confusing when people's "faces" change. ^_^

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

 

Sorry to hear that, but I'm sure there are things that would be both more lucrative and more fun to sculpt and cast. Do the fun stuff, the stuff that makes money, or (ideally) the fun stuff that makes money.

 

And, by the way, while I really like the sculpt you're using as your new avatar, it's very confusing when people's "faces" change. ^_^

 

I know, that's why I seldom change my avatar.  This is the first time in 5 years.  I just thought I would change to a Reaper Figure that I sculpted instead of my first sculpt.

8 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

:down:

 

This is not going to happen.  At least it isn't going to happen this year.  I did cast three masters, but it takes so long for me to cast them, and then they need to be cleaned up.  I simply don't have the time to create enough for all of us.  I'm not sure that I ever will.  I can create casts now, but I can't create them in bulk, my setup is just too small.

 

Sorry.

 

I anticipated a ridiculously high demand for such a cool item.  Maybe it would make more sense to look at making custom buttons?  Partnering with someone else?  Part of being a community is that we all want to help bring amazing ideas to life.  ^_^ 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 perhaps getting them 3d printed instead of cast? 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

:down:

 

This is not going to happen.  At least it isn't going to happen this year.  I did cast three masters, but it takes so long for me to cast them, and then they need to be cleaned up.  I simply don't have the time to create enough for all of us.  I'm not sure that I ever will.  I can create casts now, but I can't create them in bulk, my setup is just too small.

 

Sorry.

 

Aw.  It's always sad when cool ideas cannot be realized, but certainly understandable given the scale of your operation and desire to make them gifts.

 

I wonder of Reaper proper would be willing to partner with you and drop them into the Swag Bags?

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Clearman said:

 

Aw.  It's always sad when cool ideas cannot be realized, but certainly understandable given the scale of your operation and desire to make them gifts.

 

I wonder of Reaper proper would be willing to partner with you and drop them into the Swag Bags?

 

Not likely for similar reasons.  They require a drop in pin that has to be placed in the mold for each.  That is the reason Reaper no longer makes the pointy tools with the skulls over t-pins.  Too hard to mass produce because each pin has to be manually added to the mold.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, good point.

 

However, I would be willing to hot glue a pin on myself.  :poke:  I'm done beating this horse.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did think of casting them all and just bringing the cast trees, letting you guys cut your own off and deflash them yourselves; I mean, you are all modelers after all.

 

But, just shooting the waxes and preparing the trees will take hours I currently do not have if I want an entry in the contest and to have my class materials ready.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I did think of casting them all and just bringing the cast trees, letting you guys cut your own off and deflash them yourselves; I mean, you are all modelers after all.

 

But, just shooting the waxes and preparing the trees will take hours I currently do not have if I want an entry in the contest and to have my class materials ready.

Do what you need to do Andy.  As they say, it's the thought that counts. 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now