Hey I'm attempting something crazy for Gen con this year, and I need a little help. I am doing a diorama for the MHE painting competition, and the title for the piece is kind of an important part of it. Is it common or acceptable to have the title engraved to put on the base? If not, what is a good way to make the title known? This is something I've never done before so any advice (including general diorama advice would be appreciated. I wasn't planning on doing a WIP, just puting the picture up in Show off after Gen con assuming I get it done in time.

• Like 4

I was just at the World Minis Expo and it seemed like every diorama had an engraved brass plate screwed onto the base or plinth.

• Like 3

I am not an official answerer, but there have been plenty of dioramas at past Gen Cons with titles on the display base

Edited by Doug's Workshop
  • Like 1

Your best bet for that sort of engraving is probably to get a trophy place to make the plate.

Which isn't to say that you can't do it, just that I wouldn't want to try. ^_^

• Like 1

Again, I am not an official answerer, but I don't know how a title plaque would be considered part of the "painting."  It never occurred to me that one would have to do it oneself in order to qualify the miniature for competition.  After all, I didn't mix pigment with the binder to make my own paint.

I know I have seen title plaques that have been crafted, and I'm sure not everyone has the ability to etch a metal plate.  Again, not an official answer, so probably not as much help.  But I can't imagine where anyone would care if the title plate is made by the painter or not.  It's not part of the judging.

• Like 1

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Your best bet for that sort of engraving is probably to get a trophy place to make the plate.

Which isn't to say that you can't do it, just that I wouldn't want to try. ^_^

My company has this trophy for our Fantasy Foot ball league that has like 30 blank brass plates on it. We just order them online with what we want. Pretty simple really. 

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Glitterwolf
      So back to reposting my minis after the account crash.

This is Freebooter winged Vampire Raven, sh swoops down from this ruin to attack Hasslefree's Gen.
      I removed Gen's horns, I wanted her to look more human.

Gen's pics are linked cause, nude...mammal parts,

I like the wings, but overall I'm not so proud of this.
      Around this time ( years ago) I noticed my eyesight getting worse.
      Nowadays I use a visor.

https://postimg.cc/image/ef2n7zl6d/

https://postimg.cc/image/dcsgpgpid/

https://postimg.cc/image/5k1sxhbth/

https://postimg.cc/image/d012j9rt1/

• By SisterMaryNapalm
      Hi guys,

So I got a greater number of Infinity Aleph minis from a guy who doesn't find them fit to his playstyle.

Anyway - I decided to create my own bases, opposite to the clean and attractive style of the Aleph minis using some kind of a long lost and ruined city.

Like this:

I also got Atalanta and her SpotBot and I think that this spotbot has quite a personality and I want to create his base accordingly.

(Picture for reference)

So I thought that it would be fitting to have some kind of robot head or so he could stare at. (Like to 2b in the picture below - but being a mechanical rabbit with sad eyes).

So I thought about using a space marine head but I don't find it fitting to the whole setting and it would just disappear between the rubble and the debris I prepared for the base. And it wouldn't match the style of Infinity.

On the other hand - I tried using a bandai mecha/gundam head and it is way too big for a 25mm base. Does anyone have an idea which could help me solve the problem?
    • By knarthex
      Hey folks looking for some advice on a project I am hoping to accomplish for Reapercon '18...

It won't let me quote in the 1st post, so the next will have the links...

george

WIP here
    • By Darius Glenwell
      I'm really happy with this one. 3D render by John Popson, cast by Effincool Miniatures. This will be available next weekend at GaryCon in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. I get to personally hand it to Luke Gygax, and it will go into the charity auction, which all the proceeds go to the Wounded Warrior Project. I got it as close to the poster and shirt art as I could. Thanks for looking! If you're going to Gary Con this year, introduce yourself if you find me. 

• By LarsM
      After a long nights work at the Lucky Sunrise Inn, Eric the Bard stepped out of the back-stage door, he had rather heavy bag of gold hanging in his belt, it had been a good night. The streets were empty, and he began the walk home, but as he turned the first corner he saw the most beautifull sunrise over the roof tops. He just had to take his hat off and admire the sight...

Two old minis, probaly Ral Partha.
      The base is scratch build, mainly from sculpting clay, a bit of wire and green stuff and short piece of plastic tube. The skull and the 'Lucky'-sign (the shield) is from the bits box.
      I tried to work with a bit of NMM, but I'm too satisfied with it. Mostly the handle on the bards sword is a bit off.
      But in overall I'm happy with it, and it was a lot of fun to paint, I'm just a sucker of OSL so hope the effect is visible.

Any kind critiq is more than welcome, thanks for looking.

• Who's Online   52 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)