Hey I'm attempting something crazy for Gen con this year, and I need a little help. I am doing a diorama for the MHE painting competition, and the title for the piece is kind of an important part of it. Is it common or acceptable to have the title engraved to put on the base? If not, what is a good way to make the title known? This is something I've never done before so any advice (including general diorama advice would be appreciated. I wasn't planning on doing a WIP, just puting the picture up in Show off after Gen con assuming I get it done in time.

• Like 4

I've seen it pretty commonly for display pieces (including dioramas). Engraved brass plates are fairly typical.

• Like 3

I was just at the World Minis Expo and it seemed like every diorama had an engraved brass plate screwed onto the base or plinth.

• Like 3

I am not an official answerer, but there have been plenty of dioramas at past Gen Cons with titles on the display base

Edited by Doug's Workshop
  • Like 1

Alright cool. Is that something I have to do myself or is that part something I can have done?

• Like 1

Your best bet for that sort of engraving is probably to get a trophy place to make the plate.

Which isn't to say that you can't do it, just that I wouldn't want to try. ^_^

• Like 1

Again, I am not an official answerer, but I don't know how a title plaque would be considered part of the "painting."  It never occurred to me that one would have to do it oneself in order to qualify the miniature for competition.  After all, I didn't mix pigment with the binder to make my own paint.

I know I have seen title plaques that have been crafted, and I'm sure not everyone has the ability to etch a metal plate.  Again, not an official answer, so probably not as much help.  But I can't imagine where anyone would care if the title plate is made by the painter or not.  It's not part of the judging.

• Like 1

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Your best bet for that sort of engraving is probably to get a trophy place to make the plate.

Which isn't to say that you can't do it, just that I wouldn't want to try. ^_^

My company has this trophy for our Fantasy Foot ball league that has like 30 blank brass plates on it. We just order them online with what we want. Pretty simple really. 

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now