SamuraiJack

New Releases: July 31, 2017

30 posts in this topic

On 7/13/2017 at 11:38 PM, Ratmaster2000 said:

Thats cool, but how come the next run of bones III releases are not till December:( I want that Werebear:)

December is a placeholder date in the database. More Bones will be released every month until the entire range is available. It does not serve our interests to withhold new releases of product we already have on hand for 5 months for no reason.

12 people like this

3 hours ago, Reaperbryan said:

December is a placeholder date in the database. More Bones will be released every month until the entire range is available. It does not serve our interests to withhold new releases of product we already have on hand for 5 months for no reason.

That sounds good, because I have seen even more mini's in the core set I want duplicates of:) (cept lizardman, don't need more lizardman haha)

Well, finally we can see today's releases. 

I'm terribly disappointed with the Cavalier/Duchess... I know, between a concept art and the final sculpt a lot has to be set aside. But the actual figure has - to me - nothing of the appeal it had the concept art. Its a lot simpler, the cape, one of the best parts of the concept, is awful on the mini. The Duchess is not better, head looks too big. 

And the dwarfs, just horrible. It looks like a miniature from ten years ago. Maybe a good paint job can bring them to life but right now... 

I'll need to remove the horns on the male Viking Mousling, but yeah, I want all the Mouslings. Possibly the Dwarf Forge Priestess, also. 

It depends on if her grin is as goofy as the picture shows or not. 

1 hour ago, NyarlaBcn said:

Well, finally we can see today's releases. 

I'm terribly disappointed with the Cavalier/Duchess... I know, between a concept art and the final sculpt a lot has to be set aside. But the actual figure has - to me - nothing of the appeal it had the concept art. Its a lot simpler, the cape, one of the best parts of the concept, is awful on the mini. The Duchess is not better, head looks too big. 

And the dwarfs, just horrible. It looks like a miniature from ten years ago. Maybe a good paint job can bring them to life but right now... 

Not sure what you mean with the dwarves. You could always see them in the kickstarter. They look great. I'm super happy with them. Also, i didn't see the duchess concept art but the mini is something my wife will likely require me to get and paint as one of her pcs and the cavalier is probably my favorite male mini.

Well - again, it's just my opinion - you could compare this amorphous creature

03834_w_1.jpg.af51dae053ee635fd8fecf8874ce968c.jpg

With some relatively recent dwarves 

03731_p_1_mp.jpg.67236c117da93501c75801478c64608c.jpg50319_w_1.jpg.7f8e9a2ef5dbc11e33a2bd5a2ac184ed.jpg77400_w_1.jpg.fe429bab28f632831ca1729d21aa64f3.jpg

In these ones I see detail, realism, personality. And a style that seems "modern" where today's dwarves look very old school. 

About the Cavalier:

597f7de2eeb17_03822_w_1(1).jpg.e33d910119800d597f24dc94b7d1ef55.jpg

Look at his posture. Completely stiff. Nothing suggesting movement. The cloack has zero of the flow and elegance the concept had. The sword; from a thin rapier now looks like a shortsword or a sable. The body doesn't look right to me either. But I must admit, I had such expectations about this miniature, it's probably just me who sees it like that. 

But, just compare it to that, and tell me if it has the same appeal, proportions, realism. 

03786_w_1.jpg.9eb9eb0afdb1429feb701f2789fe96d6.jpg60202_w_1.jpg.f4f3d9471e960e35fc948198b3f247d0.jpg

2 people like this

I actually like the cavaliers. I don't mind some figures being static. Others can be dynamic like your "Carrot" (which is an awesome sculpt and paint job). 

Not a big fan of this round of mouslings. Maybe seeing them in person at the LGS will change my mind. 

The dwarves... yeah. They aren't dwarfy enough. I actually thought the dwarf jester was a treant or a carved tree or something. It is really weird and doesn't give dwarf or jester impressions. Scarecrow maybe. 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, NyarlaBcn said:

60202_w_1.jpg.f4f3d9471e960e35fc948198b3f247d0.jpg

Which one is this?

Can't remember seeing it before.

It's Rivani, Iconic Psychic :) 

I think the picture doesn't do the dwarves justice. In person they don't look 'amorphous'.

I think the cavalier however looks fine. Not everyone lives inside a tornado or is facing a heavy breeze.

2 people like this

I said it, it's a matter of personal taste. To me the problem is precisely that, that he "looks fine" instead of looking great.

It was a great concept, original, something different than the classic noble/knight/duelist we are used to. Lots of potencial. Overall the sculpt, to me, misses the point, and where we could have one of Reaper's greatest on the likes of Kristianna, Almaran, Andowyn, Willow or Dragoth, all of them with lots of personality, we have a cavalier that its fine instead of great. That's ok, I like it anyway, enough to buy and paint it. It's just it could have been so much better. 

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, NyarlaBcn said:

I said it, it's a matter of personal taste. To me the problem is precisely that, that he "looks fine" instead of looking great.

It was a great concept, original, something different than the classic noble/knight/duelist we are used to. Lots of potencial. Overall the sculpt, to me, misses the point, and where we could have one of Reaper's greatest on the likes of Kristianna, Almaran, Andowyn, Willow or Dragoth, all of them with lots of personality, we have a cavalier that its fine instead of great. That's ok, I like it anyway, enough to buy and paint it. It's just it could have been so much better. 

I agree. I was really excited for the day of the dead minis, but I do not like the looks of them. Maybe being painted will improve them :unsure:

1 person likes this

I'm not favorably impressed by the priming on the photographed samples. I think the underlying miniatures might be interesting, but it's hard to see with the uneven primer coat.

Posted (edited)

The dwarf priestess does have that look on her face, and the Jester looks better from the back (he's nude, his beard is artfully hiding his front) where he actually has non-beard details.

ETA: the metal pictures, for whatever reason, lack MUCH of the details that the bones version actually have. I'm guessing the photo just ate the details.

Edited by spoonz202