Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jsalyers

Cavcon Tournament who is going?

13 posts in this topic

After annoying Cavboss (sorry) I finally got signed up for the tournament. Looking forward to meeting some of you there.

I have a pile of unpainted Grand Order of the Temple metal CAV piled on my desk that I've worked fairly hard to collect. I plan to play 100% painted. [crosses fingers]

I've only played 3 games so far so forgive me when I get stuff wrong.

J--

I want to see it, but I have ZERO experience with CAV and I'm signed up for too many classes and volunteering.  I just want to see what it's about, get my t-shirt and a starter figure and find out if I want more for next year!

2 people like this

Grayfax,

Make sure to stop by and try out the "Time of Storms" Event. It will be running the entire show and is set up to teach people how to play or for those already familiar with the rules. More info can be found www.cav-con.com (including tournament rules!).

That's what I plan on hitting.  I figure I can play in and out all weekend long!  And hopefully I won't be a complete newb by the time I show up... (but I might act like it just to make sure I know what I'm doing).

I plan on playing and going Ritter I think!

Part of me wants to bring a giant horde of Wraiths for the lolz, but there's a twelve model limit.

Looks like I'v settled on a Rach force. Now I gotta get painting.

1 person likes this

I'm painting up a Terran force just in case I change my mind at the last second... :D

Well, with just about a week to go, I've decided to try and make this happen.  People at work are interested and I figure it would be a good way to get a handle on the game.  Looks like I may have to sign up day of though since the RCon reg is closed.  Unless the CAV Con site has a separate registration.

I have a half read rule book, a box of unpainted figs fro CAV-starter 1 and one demo game from RCon last year that I barely remember (I do remember I got shellacked).

Time to get started!

1 person likes this

There will likely be lots of newer players at the tournament.  Hopefully players and judges will have lots of patience ^_^ .  If you need help coming up with a force using only CAVs from the kickstarter, pm me as I have a few ideas.

There are a couple parts in the tournament rules to take note of if you're signing up on-site, such as having a printed army list (not hand written) if you don't email one ahead of time.  Also the rules state aircraft, infantry, vehicles, battlefield upgrades, specialization assets, and packages are not used; there was a post in the ReaperCon forum clarifying this to mean stock CAVs only with no modifications, but I can't locate the post anymore.  This part of the rules really should be more explicit on exactly what is allowed, before someone adds an external ammo bin or whatever and gets disappointed day-of.

Edited by Jeneki
1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Jeneki said:

There will likely be lots of newer players at the tournament.  Hopefully players and judges will have lots of patience ^_^ .  If you need help coming up with a force using only CAVs from the kickstarter, pm me as I have a few ideas.

There are a couple parts in the tournament rules to take note of if you're signing up on-site, such as having a printed army list (not hand written) if you don't email one ahead of time.  Also the rules state aircraft, infantry, vehicles, battlefield upgrades, specialization assets, and packages are not used; there was a post in the ReaperCon forum clarifying this to mean stock CAVs only with no modifications, but I can't locate the post anymore.  This part of the rules really should be more explicit on exactly what is allowed, before someone adds an external ammo bin or whatever and gets disappointed day-of.

Yep saw all that while I was figuring things out.  Unfortunately I also saw the times of the rounds and realized that  round 1 conflicts with my painting class...so doesn't look like I will be competing.  Still gonna make a force though.  I'll be dropping in on the "Time of Storms" event periodically.  Plus I'll have something slse for the paint contest.

2 people like this

Have no fear, we are very aware this is the "first" CAV tourney and will make sure everyone has a good time, regardless of skill level. Ms Sue-Ellen will also be set up with a computer to check and print out any force list or cards someone may need Friday night.

1 person likes this

On 10/11/2017 at 5:23 AM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Yep saw all that while I was figuring things out.  Unfortunately I also saw the times of the rounds and realized that  round 1 conflicts with my painting class...so doesn't look like I will be competing.  Still gonna make a force though.  I'll be dropping in on the "Time of Storms" event periodically.  Plus I'll have something slse for the paint contest.

I'm available to play a regular game outside the tournament if you have the time and the inclination.

J--

1 person likes this