Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jsalyers

Cavcon Tournament who is going?

4 posts in this topic

After annoying Cavboss (sorry) I finally got signed up for the tournament. Looking forward to meeting some of you there.

I have a pile of unpainted Grand Order of the Temple metal CAV piled on my desk that I've worked fairly hard to collect. I plan to play 100% painted. [crosses fingers]

I've only played 3 games so far so forgive me when I get stuff wrong.

J--

I want to see it, but I have ZERO experience with CAV and I'm signed up for too many classes and volunteering.  I just want to see what it's about, get my t-shirt and a starter figure and find out if I want more for next year!

Grayfax,

Make sure to stop by and try out the "Time of Storms" Event. It will be running the entire show and is set up to teach people how to play or for those already familiar with the rules. More info can be found www.cav-con.com (including tournament rules!).

That's what I plan on hitting.  I figure I can play in and out all weekend long!  And hopefully I won't be a complete newb by the time I show up... (but I might act like it just to make sure I know what I'm doing).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By jsalyers
      Getting started on my Cavcon models. Fielding a Templar army from scratch in 2017 is a bit of work.

Thanks to @Vil-hatarn and @Watchman for helping me find them. :-]

J--

• By jsalyers
      I'm confused by what SA: TAG does in CAV. 

In the SO rules on page 124-125 it is never clear what a TAG does - at least not to me. In the errata, it says that, "...the attacker may "paint" and fire guided missiles at a designated target during the same combat action."

In the SO rules page 113 it says that Guided Missile require either a Target Lock or a TAG in order to fire.
      In the SO rules page 115 it says that rockets with the'semi-guided' upgrade (page 136) can take advantage of TAG.

Here are my questions:
      Does the TAG confer a Target Lock? Does the TAG allow the use of a targeting computer bonus against the painted target? Can the TAG be used by other units in the friendly force? If it cannot and it can only benefit Guided Missiles and semi-guided Rockets then why does the Spartan who has no GMs and no Rockets have a TAG?  
      I looked through all of the data sheets and I found 17 models with the SA:TAG. Of those 17 only 5 had GMs and none had semi-guided Rockets.

I must be missing something. Why would all of those units have TAG if they can't make use of it?

Thanks for your time and understanding. 

J--
    • By jsalyers
      I'm trying parse this paragraph from the rules packet. I think I understand it but as a noob I could use some confirmation.

Aircraft, infantry, and vehicle models are not eligible for use during this tournament. We're only allowed to bring CAVs. Bonus points [not allowed] Normally, a force group gets 20% of its threat value pool in points to spend on specializations from Battlefield: upgrades, support assets, support strikes. We don't get any of these points. specialization assets and packages [not allowed] Normally, a force gets 10% of its threat value pool to spend on additional force group specializations, We don't get any of these points.  
      What I think this boils down to is that we're to play CAVs only, using the stats printed on the datasheets with no modifications. We have exactly 5000 points to spend - no bonuses.

Is this right...?

Thanks for your help!

J--
    • By jsalyers
      I searched the forum and tried to find an answer to my question(s) before posting but could not. I'm not sure what the accepted policy is on quoting the rules in the forums so if I've broken a rule please forgive me.

In the CAV:SO book page 57 bullet point 3 under Field Notes says that a Target Lock is required before a Guided Missile is fired or it will auto-miss - [paraphrased]

The CAV: Errata says to replace the third paragraph (by which I think they mean bullet point) with a paragraph that includes this line:

"The target-lock action can be used by a model to acquire an active “lock” on a target as part of a ranged assault that includes guided missiles (see Guided Missile, p. 112). ..."

Does making a ranged assault with a Guided Missile require 2 actions (1 for the Target Lock and 1 for the Ranged Assault)?

Or

Does making a ranged assault with a Guided Missile require 1 action that includes the Target Lock and the Ranged Assault together?

Or

Something else I've missed.

Thanks 

J--
    • By jsalyers
      I can't find which faction uses the Hedgehog transport in the list of faction vehicles I downloaded from the Talon Games site.

Can someone explain to me who can use it?

Thanks!

J--
  • Who's Online   14 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)