CAVBOSS

CAV-CON 2017 @ ReaperCon

For more information on the CAV-CON events at this year's ReaperCon, including tournament rules, make sure to check out www.cav-con.com !

Edited by CAVBOSS
  • Like 3

Looks like I'll be jumping in.  Mostly the "come and play as you are" section... but I picked up a book and some beginner mechs because I couldn't fill a class slot.  And the t-shirt / new metal mech sounded pretty cool too!  

I'll be there, probably for Friday only.

Question: If that's the only day I can attend(i might be able to manage a short bit on Sunday), does that mean I cannot enter the painting contest?

Last year my husband finally found a game he enjoys rather than tolerates for my sake. He is looking forward to playing more this year and I have been furiously painting CAV for him. I did not realize how many we got from the first KS. At least I should have an entry in the ordinance section of the paint contest! (if I can pry them away from my husband :ph34r:)

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Kate said:

Last year my husband finally found a game he enjoys rather than tolerates for my sake. He is looking forward to playing more this year and I have been furiously painting CAV for him. I did not realize how many we got from the first KS. At least I should have an entry in the ordinance section of the paint contest! (if I can pry them away from my husband :ph34r:)

That's great to hear! I cant wait to see your entry.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Guyscanwefocusplease
      Hi all,

It has been a really busy year for me, between moving across the country, starting a new job, finding a place to live, getting married, major surgery for the missus, and evacuating/rebuilding after a major hurricane.  Unfortunately, this has left little time for painting- and it’s been driving me nuts!

After the wedding a few weeks back, we finally had some time to take a step back and breathe.  The wife poked me and said “why don’t you start painting again?”

The first thing I picked up was this squad of half-finished Ritterlich Republic cougars I had been working on last winter before the move.  They had been painted and inked, but not assembled, highlighted or jeweled.

I’ve been working on them a few hours at a time over the past few weeks, and finally had a big chunk of the day yesterday where I could sit down and power through them… here they are!  I still need to do the bases, but I couldn’t do that last night as the glue was still drying.  They will also get a matte varnish coat, but I'd like to get your C&C on a few things before then.

As I have mentioned before, this is from the CAV kickstarter; one of the things I wanted to do with the kickstarter CAVs was to explore a different painting technique for each army.  For the Ritter, this was edging. 
      As time went on, I started to become a bit fatigued at the sheer amount of edging required.  This caused me to slowly rotate from display quality (for me at least) to more tabletop quality. But hey, a painted mini is always better than an unpainted one, and easing up a bit on the quality allowed me to finish them quickly.

I am also trying to incorporate more blending in the canopies, as well as some OSL effects.  As you can see, I am still practicing.  I expect I will get better with time (at least I hope I do)!
      As always, C & C are very welcome.  I am trying to get better and I can’t do that without critique.  Any comments about how to improve the jeweling or OSL in particular would be most appreciated. 

If anyone wants the paints or techniques used, I can provide that information too.

• By jsalyers
      Some thoughts on The CavCon tournament.
      The Good:
      The tournament was well organized. The terrain looked great. Jon and Tim were available to answer questions and explain the reasons behind various decisions at any time.
      I've never had more one on one time to interact with a game developer ever. Jon went out of his way to walk me though several parts of the game that I didn't understand and he was open to feedback to improve the game for me (and hopefully others).
      The veteran players Todd Farnholtz, Ross Hines, and Brandon Baker were friendly, open, and available to explain both the rules and their thoughts about the 'meta'.
      Todd and Ross are also fabulous painters with lots of experience in the niche of painting giant robots to look like giant robots. They shared tips and feedback with me which I appreciate a lot,
      The Bad:
      The tournament terrain looked awesome but it's nature and layout limited the kinds of forces that were viable in the tournament.
      The tallest piece of cover on the boards I saw was a level 3 hill. That is it in the background of the photo where my figures 
      - in red and grey - are learning the meaning of the phrase 'shock check'. :)
      The deployment zone of my opponent (Ross Hines) had an elevation 2 hill just outside of it. All Ross had to do was walk forward for one activation and then his CAVs - in blue and black - were at elevation 4 which lets him see over the highest elevation terrain on the board. On his first turn he could fire Guided Missiles 6" deployment + 7" Move + 64" Extreme range = 77". The playing area is only 72" long.

[Edited to correct the Silverback's movement from 5" to 7"]

I literally had no where to hide from his fire.
      Additionally, being at elevation 4 allowed him to see over the intervening 'woods' which are only elevation 3. I could only gain the benefit of cover by hugging against it within one inch. The trees did serve to slow down my forward progress as I had to either go around them or spend extra movement to go through them.
      I've only played about a dozen games of CAV so I may be missing an aspect of the terrain rules or some strategy that mitigates the lack of LOS blocking terrain.
      The Excellent:
      The people. The models. The game.
      No better example of good people than Jeff my second round opponent. He is a veteran CAV player who helped me through the rules I was unfamiliar with and shared numerous stories about the history of the game.
      The new Firedrake model is beautiful. I love it's angular lines and the compactness of it's rocket launchers - I bought 6 of them. :)
      The game plays fast once you get several games under your belt. The rules flow logically and I found by the end of the tournament I rarely had to ask how something worked.
      Perhaps the last and best compliment that I can give is that I'm already planning my next force. I have the paint scheme in mind and plan to experiment with heavily weathered CAVs.
      I hope to meet and play CAV with all of you at the tournament next year.

• By CAVBOSS
      Greetings All!
      Since the release of the new rule-set last year I know I have talked a bit here and there about COG and getting support to those people wishing to run demos and such. The main reason I havent advanced any farther on it is Ive been trying to put a program together that will get the job done and allow players to feel their efforts are appreciated and awarded correctly. Ive looked at other programs out there and haven't seen what I think is required.

So I'm asking for your input. What would make you want to be part of this type of program and get out there to support the game at conventions and your local stores. What do you need from me to be successful and remain engaged over time?

Any input would be much appreciated! 
    • By CAVBOSS
      Greeting all! We are starting the roll-out of the updated & new content we have been promising. I have updated the links above and on the web page but I am including them here as well...

First off. the new errata. The majority of it is clarifications and FAQs, but we have made a couple of rule adjustments as a result of feedback from players.

CAV: SO Errata

With that and the addition of new models from the last KS we have updated the CAV:SO Construction & Force Manager Program. We have added a new tab in the CP that shows a picture of the actual model to help people identify what something is. We will be updating the images later to get a more consistent look but this should work for now.

CAV:SO Construction Program and Force Manager

We have also updated the Master PDF of all the models so that you can have them in one place to view as a whole. Included are models that we are no longer using but have included a data card for those people who still want to use them. These have the (2) as part of their name.

Data Cards

We also have a new Faction Model List that is now current with all of the designs currently in the game.

Faction Model List

I am still getting the color data cards and the new Flashpoint ready so stay tuned as we get those out as well! Enjoy!
  • Who's Online   13 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)