Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Laoke

Bones
77449 - Invisible Rogue (with 77035 - Deladrin, Female Assassin for comparison)

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I've been thinking about doing this for awhile - painting up one of the clear "invisible" adventurers in Bones III as a translucent figure.  The obvious choice was 77449 - Invisible Rogue, as my delightful wife painted the matching 77035 - Visible Deladrin some time ago.

I painted the figure using a thinned Tamiya Clear Blue X-23 (thinned with Tamiya Thinner X-20).  This produced a very light blue tint to the figure while at the same time introducing some definition.  I also hit points where I wanted extra definition, mainly the face and weapon transition points, with unthinned Tamiya Clear Blue.

The broccoli is basically Reaper Peacock Green worked up through Reaper Clear Green to Reaper Clear Yellow.  The bottom of the base has been painted Reaper Pure Black.

Important Note:  Tamiya Clear paints are significantly different from Reaper Clear Paints.  Tamiya Clear are translucent, Reaper Clear are not. 

invisfront.jpg.57b9bfdc83c269bca74091c505ac23d2.jpg

invisback.jpg.59a48af7908fcc7cba76b0cd028c2a8c.jpg

Issues - there's a big one in that because of the black I painted the base, the boots of the translucent figure are significantly darker than the rest of the figure.  It almost reads right, but I'd have been better off doing the first coat on the base a green or maybe a white so they looked like they were clear going onto the grass of the base.  It's something I'll consider later, although could largely be ignored if you rebased the figure.  But on the whole I think this came out pretty good, accidental scimitar that we never noticed originally on Deladrin and all.

There's one additional issue that I didn't spot till after I posted this - a Virtual Chocolate Fish to anyone who can tell the class what that very delibrate mistake was for our educational porpoises.

Edited by Laoke
16 people like this

Very Cool!

1 person likes this

Neat effect!

Bent sword? Mold line on cloak?

1 person likes this

I'll give a hint : notice anything odd about the background?

Clearly, they are in "inception" mind mode.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By OneBoot
      This thread will serve as an index of all the Work in Progress and Show-off threads created by participants in this glorious madness. Don't post your entries here! Please make your own threads, then make a post here with links to them.

The Challenge will begin on August 1st 2017, and will be open for submission of completed entries until midnight CST on August 1st 2018. For further information, please see this thread.

Please familiarize yourself with the Official Rules BEFORE you start your Challenge! We don't want to have to disqualify anyone's hard work!

Official Rules:

Link to FAQ: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/69639-7-day-goblin-challenge-official-rules/

Now, forth, and fear no dragon!
      Arise! Arise, Painters of Ma'al Drakar!
      Paints shall be shaken! Brushes shall be splintered!
      A glorious day... A Seven day... Ere the deadline rises!!!

• By ub3r_n3rd
      Another WIP for me to do this week. I've got Isla Darkstep, Reaper SKU #02698 which I'm painting up for my final D&D player. This one is going to be painted up to look like a drow. 

Anyhow, getting started, I have a couple pics as I got it cleaned and prepped now. Again going with black primer first and then I'll wait until it dries and do some white primer dry-brushed over it to pick out details. I just placed her integral base on a 1 inch circle of wood that I like to use for my bases and then put some procreate around the edges and sculpted the stones to match what was on her base to the best of my limited sculpting ability.

• By wdmartin
      So, when I first tried painting this, I made tolerably decent base for it, coated it with Tamiya Clear Green, and observed that the details were totally unclear.  So I highlighted it with yellow.  And it looked ....

AWFUL.

And therefore, I put it on the Shelf of Shame, from whence it has been reproaching me these past three years.

"Fiiiiniiish usss," the ghostly damsels kept whispering to me in spooky undertones.

"Nope," I said, and returned to all kinds of other projects.

"Awwww," they would say, and disspiritedly return to moping in their eldritch green flame.

But tonight, I finally decided that the only solution was to disregard the translucent plastic and paint the ladies as if they were any other mini.  Thus, I give you a Ghostly Summons.

Pics linked for nudity.

Pic 1
      Pic 2
      Pic 3
      Pic 4
      Pic 5
      Pic 6
      Pic 7
      Pic 8
      Pic 9

I had to wipe the whole thing down with a wet brush to remove the surface dust first. >.>

I think the skin tone on the green one came out best.  I have no earthly idea when I'll actually use this mini for anything, but at least they're off the Shelf of Shame.
    • By Silvervane
      Well, I finally finished up my April Hangouts Goblin.  He is a relatively (for me at least) quick paint job.  Nothing fancy, well unless you consider basic NMM fancy.

• By sirgourls
      It's been awhile since I've painted anything in general, much less a human-sized mini. I also tried giving her lipstick. It isn't great, but not terrible for a first attempt. Just doing something at tabletop quality anyway (or it is for me).

• Who's Online   55 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)