Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jsalyers

Puzzling out how TAG works

4 posts in this topic

I'm confused by what SA: TAG does in CAV. 

In the SO rules on page 124-125 it is never clear what a TAG does - at least not to me. In the errata, it says that, "...the attacker may "paint" and fire guided missiles at a designated target during the same combat action."

In the SO rules page 113 it says that Guided Missile require either a Target Lock or a TAG in order to fire.

In the SO rules page 115 it says that rockets with the'semi-guided' upgrade (page 136) can take advantage of TAG.

Here are my questions:

1. Does the TAG confer a Target Lock?
  2. Does the TAG allow the use of a targeting computer bonus against the painted target?
  3. Can the TAG be used by other units in the friendly force?
    1. If it cannot and it can only benefit Guided Missiles and semi-guided Rockets then why does the Spartan who has no GMs and no Rockets have a TAG?

I looked through all of the data sheets and I found 17 models with the SA:TAG. Of those 17 only 5 had GMs and none had semi-guided Rockets.

I must be missing something. Why would all of those units have TAG if they can't make use of it?

Thanks for your time and understanding. 

J--

TAG is the poor man's answer to ECM and with the change to guided missiles allows you to use a guided missile without needing to spend an extra action for target-lock. So to answer your questions...

Using TAG no longer requires an action point to use and is included as part of the direct-fire combat action (it is all basically a low level laser). So lets say you want to fire the GM along with your MACs but only have the one action point. You declare it as part of your combat and its automatic as long as you have a direct LoS to the target, allowing you to fire any GM(s) you may have. NOTE: TAG does not allow the addition of any targeting-computer bonuses, that may only be used with the target-lock action. TAG cannot be blocked expect with smoke and losing LoS.

Question 1. Does the TAG confer a Target Lock?

No, it only allows you to fire a guided-missile(s) at the selected target. Its a slight nuance in what TAG enables.

Question 2: Does the TAG allow the use of a targeting computer bonus against the painted target?

No. Refer to earlier statements.

Question 3: Can the TAG be used by other units in the friendly force?

Yes. TAG remains in place from the time it is activated until the beginning of that models next activation. ANY model in the friendly force group can use it, unlike EST which is squad specific. That kinda takes care of question 3.1.

Several models have TAG to either compliment their load-out or in a recon roll to seek out an enemy target for fire-support models. No models have semi-guided rockets as that is an upgrade to normal rockets. If you have a rocket launcher you can spend the extra TV to upgrade the launcher to semi-guided.

Hopefully that helps!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

What kind of action does a unit with TAG but no guided missiles spend to paint a target? A direct fire combat action...?

Thanks for the answer Cavboss. It is so nice to get direct, meaningful answers from a game company. I'm pretty sure I'll have a few more between now and Cavcon

I'll be happy to buy you lunch one day while we're there.

J--

Edited by jsalyers

Yes it would use the combat action if part of an attack or still use the special action to use it by itself.

I'm always happy to answer a question and look forward to seeing you at the show.