6 minutes ago, Rod G said:

I'm interested in doing a chess set using Reaper Miniatures.

Recommendations please.

There are many possibilities.

Which races do you like?

You could pit Undead against Crusaders or Goblins against Elves for example.

There are mounted minis that can be used as horses. Clerics/ wizards could be the bishops.

Etc etc..

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Xherman1964 said:

There are many possibilities.

Which races do you like?

You could pit Undead against Crusaders or Goblins against Elves for example.

There are mounted minis that can be used as horses. Clerics/ wizards could be the bishops.

Etc etc..

For the time being, let's settle for Human vs Human.

(Good vs Evil or both sides neutral in alignment.)

Question: Any recommendations for Rooks?

Edited by Rod G
Addition
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Pingo said:

A few threads on the topic:

I'm surprised there isn't an elven chess set.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Rod G said:

Me too.  I guess it randomly depends on what people have rustled up in the past, that and my ability to dig through old threads.

I'm pretty sure there's been more discussion than I can scare up, but not necessarily in an easy to find, simple format.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rod G said:

I would look at the golems.  Something like the Bones 3 Graveyard Golem might go rather nicely with the bad guys, while the Bones 3 Iron Golem might work well with the good guys.

My other thought would be the elementals.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rod G said:

For the time being, let's settle for Human vs Human.

(Good vs Evil or both sides neutral in alignment.)

I mentioned this guy earlier.

Since it is a Bones mini you could easily cut the figure off the castle base, and replace it with any mini you'd like.

It will have a castle stoneworks base then.

https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/castle/sku-down/77303

For a Rook use an Archer figure that matches the faction chosen for the rest of the pieces. Build a platform (or use the one Xherman suggested) for the Archer to stand in. The more it looks like a Belfrey (siege tower) the better. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TGP said:

For a Rook use an Archer figure that matches the faction chosen for the rest of the pieces. Build a platform (or use the one Xherman suggested) for the Archer to stand in. The more it looks like a Belfrey (siege tower) the better. 

Not a bad idea.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2017 at 2:01 PM, Rod G said:

The biggest problem with an Elven Chess set is trying to limit selection.  I started trying to do a Frostgrave Warband with Elves... and just locating all of the different ones and then sifting them for different types was mind boggling.  But, in another year, when I get ready to do the chess set for my brother, I have all of the figures in a pre-sorted order that will make them easier to find for what I want.  I just haven't made the choices yet...

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Jasper_the_2nd
      As mentioned in the Rabbits topic, when I first saw 03929: Drangus, Duckman Warrior, I knew I'd found the opposition for my Rabbits.  
      The problem is, duckmen don't seem nearly as common as Rabbits.
      This is my current "army".

That's two copies of Drangus and Oathsworn's duck-billed platypus (it's got a bill so close enough!!).

So far my quick search has only tracked down one set of Duckmen, by Rebel Minis (bookmarked!!).
      I'm hoping Reaper will expand their Duckman line in the comming months as well (please?).

I'll be doing a weapon swap on one of the two Drangus's (Drangi?) to make them a little different.
      So if you know of any more Duckmen figs, or just duck figs, or really any associated waterfowl or waterfowlmen, feel free to let me know. 

• By Wolfbane-art
      First of all, let me introduce myself. My name is Alessio Cisbani, and I'm an Italian miniature sculptor and painter.
      With this project I want to create a series of metal miniatures inspired by the classic ones of the 90s that I collected and painted. These miniatures will fit with your favourite wargames and can be cool PC or NPC for your pen&paper roleplaying games.
      The path this project will take is like the exploration of a dungeon: as our heroes delve deeper, they will face menacing creatures like Gargoyles or treacherous cultists and enchanters, but they may also find unexpected allies... Moreover Randolf the Ogre (see below) could find bits of armor, and weapons of his size!
      My project is live and yet funded in few hours, I would be glad if you can take a look.
      Here's the link:  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wolfbaneart/the-short-the-shortest-and-the-bulky

• By Devil Inside Productions
      Hell Awaits... Wave 4 - XL edition! Featuring some of the larger inhabitants of Hell this time around.

Here's the link to the Kickstarter for anyone who might be interested:
      Hell Awaits... Wave 4

Thanks for looking!
    • By Echoside_
      So my girl ( @Zanderina) and I got into this wonderful hobby together, and we've developed a few tricks and styles our own.  Well yesterday I was told my style is very dark and 'Earthy'.  No offense taken, but it hit me I do need to extend my color pallet choices.  This lead to a small challenge between us, as we're apparently very competitive with each other.  We'd pick out our model to be done next, and the other person would pick the paints to use.

My model choice was Hosilla (#60172), and received the following Reaper paints to use:
      Dragon Red (9401), Cats Eye Green (9414), Bleached Linen (9436), Punk Rock Pink (9286), Leather White (9062), Honed Steel (9053), Ginger Cookie (9659), Cursed Gold (9464), Kobold Scale (9458), Golden Blonde (9033), Tusk Ivory (29825), & Black Indigo (9603)

Her choice of model was the Arcanamirim Wizard (#60135), and I gave her the following paints:
      Old Bronze (9197), Dungeon Slime (9415), Solid White (29842), Chestnut Brown (9071), Sunrise Orange (9406), Wilderness Green (9411), Stark Naked (9682), Harvert Brown (9200), Goblin Skin (9457), Ashen Blue (9057), & Khaki Highlight (9123)

Over the next couple weeks we will be posting up the WiP pics and hope to get feedback as we go.  Let the fun begin!!
    • By Kangaroorex
      Well he's safely delivered now so I can show off.  I was requested to do something fantasy with no modern or sci fi so with dragonman becoming popular in 5thed I thought I would go a little scally . I started off with the miniature on a stone base but I had a spare grippli from another project so I added an overbase and a second figure and called the whole thing.  I am rather proud of this one.  A lot of the elements are subtle until you notice them, and I like the little grippli with his speaking trumpet and bright livery.  You can tell he's had to deal with big persons before!

Hey you; down here!

Enjoy

• Who's Online   9 Members, 1 Anonymous, 149 Guests (See full list)