Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheAuldGrump

Fire Giants - The Soles of Feet, The Palms of Hands

5 posts in this topic

I have started painting up the Fire Giant Jailor from Bones III, and realized that his boots are not boots, but only coverings for the tops of his feet, leaving the soles bare....

Which brings up the question as to what color the soles of their feet and the palms of their hands might be.

Are they like Homo Sapiens Sapiens, in that the soles and palms are lighter in color on those who have darker skin?

Or do they have a more uniform hue?

The Auld Grump - given that I am doing the giant in more of a charcoal grey than is likely to be found upon our species....

I don't think there's a hard and fast rule, I'm looking up D&D 5E giant artwork and what others have painted and everything is very different. So it's fantasy, go with what YOU like and have fun ::D:

I'd give both techniques a try and go with the one that looks "right", or "righter" as the case may be.

1 person likes this

They should probably be sooty and dirty what with all the forge work and the boulder throwing and what not.

1 person likes this

Going with a pinkish grey for the soles of his feet - then some grey brown over the pinkish grey for the dirt.

I think the idea of fire giants having black skin came from Surtr in Norse myth, but I am not certain. (Surtr means 'Black' in old Norse.)

The Auld Grump - but who wouldn't love the name Muspellsmegr for fire giants?

1 person likes this