TheAuldGrump

Webcomics - Because....

30 posts in this topic

Erfworld! What happens when a fantastic DM has a massive seizure and falls into a coma, and we get to see his dreams.

Actually that's my pet theory. It's actually about a DM who gets summoned into a game world as the ultimate warlord! I haven't started book 3 yet... 

If you enjoy board games, Semi Co-op was one I recently discovered.  Not very long yet.  

One of my favorites is Basic Instructions.  He stopped doing new ones, but he's repeating all his old comics every M-W-F with some commentary.  Good for a laugh.  

Ctrl-Alt-Del is kind of a weird one.  It was a comic about a couple of guys who play games on couches, but it is now about two superheros who use their gaming powers for good.  Except there are frequent side trips to one offs and recurring characters that have their own story lines.  

Almost forgot!  Pepper and Carrot.  A young witch and her cat familiar get into shenanigans.  I really enjoy the art in this.  

Edited by Unit04
Peppers and Carrots.

8 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I've wished Reaper would get the Girl Genius license for years; the Foglios' work is the epitome of steampunk, and would appeal to Girl Genius fans, steampunk fans, collectors, steam wargamers...

Order of the Stick, I am wondering if we are ever going to get closure.

Oglaf is utterly filthy, as in NSFW, but is one of the few comics that can consistently make me laugh out loud.

Full Frontal Nerdity updates twice a week, and is usually pretty good.

Goblins: Life Through Their Eyes is also pretty interesting.

Megan likes Oglaf - I don't check it myself, but every now and again I find one in my e-mail that Megan wants to share. ::P:

Full Frontal Nerdity is fun - as is PS 238 by the same cartoonist.

Also fun is Sidekick Girl - she isn't the superhero - she's the one keeping things going.

Similar, in a way, is Everyday Heroes - a superhero that lives in the suburbs, with his wife and family. No longer updating on a regular basis - his wife passed away last year. ::(: ) Being a hero is a job. So is being a villain.

Skull Girl & the Super Temps is no longer updating, for a similar reason - two of the characters were based on the cartoonist's wife, who died unexpectedly a few years ago. I don't think that I would be able to keep updating, either. The main character is a supervillain working for a temps agency - a lot closer to professional wrestling than to actual super hero battles, the heroes almost always win, the villains almost always lose - and the head of the super villain agency is considered a mentor by heroes and villains both. (He is also still on Santa's List - the Nice list....)

Looks like I was focusing on 9 to 5 super heroes, this time around....

The Auld Grump

Lets see...  If I can out-nerd everyone else...

Sabrina-online.com  of course. Who doesn't love anthro skunks? And squirrels?

El Goonish Shive, for when genders NEEDS to be changed... suddenly... 

I dream of a Jeanie Bottle. Because... yeah... them pants... 

The Wotch, because redheads. And magic, of course. 

Unicorn Jelly finished a long, long time ago. A REALLY long time ago. Still worth reading... again...  

Ozy & Millie is also finished, but worth reading again and again. Preferably in Hardcover...

Sandra & Woo. because. Just because.

The Whiteboard. Because sometimes a polar bear hopped up on coffee playing paintball is kind of funny. Also, Zombie invasions, cute femmes...  

Grrl Power - No, it's not about female rights. Its about superheroes, and one rather unlikely one in particular. 

Carry On - http://www.hirezfox.com/km/  

She came for the wedding, and stayed... How do you get rid of an annoying Hyena, really? 

A book 'Freds Diaries', based on one of the characters, just brought home the Ursa Major award for Best Novel.

21st Century Fox.- Where Cathy from Carry On first appeared...   

Freefall. Because sometimes a Robot is a Squid's best friend, and his engineer is a Wolf...

And yeah...

The Cross Time Cafe, where the characters from Carry On, 21st Century Fox, Freefall, and a few inactive comics hang out between appearences in their own comics.

http://www.whiteponyproductions.com/ctc/present.htm

Housepets is cute...

Precocious... Because Power is cute... 

Vexxarr - When you need a planet invaded, maybe find someone with more tactical experience than someone who washes socks for a race that doesn't use them...

2Kinds 

Swords & Sausages, their other running comic 'Nine to Nine' and their old classic 'College Catastrophe' (with a nod to the classic comic 'The Class Menagerie' which is also well worth a read)

DMFA...  

Minerva Theater and You Say It First, by Isabel Marks.

Untitled!

http://untitled.keenspace.com

Yeah, I like comics...  

Edited by Gadgetman!
Corrected the name for the Jeanie comic

Great suggestions all..

I mostly follow Oglaf, Menage a 3 and Get Medieval.

Hm. A lot of what I would have suggested already has been. Second Girl Genius, Oglaf (and holy pants, yes. All of the NSFW) ..

Let me add a few.

Star Power - science fiction, a varied and interesting cast. They're in .. book four, I think. Michael Terracciano (Dominic Deegan, ended) and Garth Graham (Comedity, Finder's Keepers) are writing and arting, respectively.

OJST is .. not work safe. At all. But it is educational, and the art is very good. I was following Erika Moen's DAR! before she finished it, she's still very good.

Guilded Age is good; although I still have no idea what's going on other than game-related shenanigans, RL interference and general confusion. Eventually, I expect they will answer the question of what happens when you suck real people into an MMO and it degenerates into weirdness.

Two Lumps. Cats being cats.

Besides some of the ones already mentioned, I really enjoy Lady Sabre and the Pirates of the Ineffable Aether.

It's a steampunk setting that has a lot of interesting ideas in it.  Unfortunately, it's been on hiatus for a while, but from what I understand from reading the comments, it is expected to start back up in a few months.

I'm a little surprised to see no mention of Rusty & Co.

I'll also add a nod to Sluggy Freelance, which has been running for 20 years now.  It's well past its prime, and will soon be ending, at least in its current form, but the archives are still there to be enjoyed.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, alchemist said:

I'm a little surprised to see no mention of Rusty & Co.

I'll also add a nod to Sluggy Freelance, which has been running for 20 years now.  It's well past its prime, and will soon be ending, at least in its current form, but the archives are still there to be enjoyed.

For a long time Sluggy Freelance has been a comic that 'used to be good' - I found myself giving up on it entirely with the 'Puniverse' arc.

Let's have the only strong female character turn randomly into a camel!

No, we aren't going anywhere with this! We just want to have her randomly turn into a camel! Hurray!

Now, let's put her in a coma! HUZZAH!

*BLEEP!* that. Jumping the shark is far too kind to describe what happened with the comic. More 'put your arm in the garbage disposal, then turn it on'. (Yes, the comic used to be good - but that is very much no longer the case.)

For a comic that is almost as old - but has remained good - and been updating one heck of a lot more regularly - let me recommend Freefall. Which finally wrapped up its first story arc last year.

Schlock Mercenary, mentioned above, is another that has been rolling on, mostly good - falling a few times, but getting back up, and returning to strength.

Then there is the finished comic Narbonic - which has the amazing distinction of going for years, and then suddenly had a plot... And that plot had been there since the beginning, unnoticed. (I remember the strip where suddenly a whole lot of throw away lines stopped being throw away lines... She didn't just add a plot - it really had been simmering that whole time.)

The Auld Grump - the TV show The Good Place did kind of the same thing, where suddenly a whole lot of plot holes stopped being plot holes, and became the main plot.

2 people like this

That camel was a looonnnnng time ago.  And that's also about when I lost interest in "Sluggy Freelance."  Every once in a while I mention possibly looking it up again to my friends and they always say "Don't."

"Narbonic" was awesome.  I enjoy "Skin Horse," its successor, as well.

Edited by Pingo

I follow way too many web-comics. (Last I counted my list counted more than 200)

But my favourite have to be, Gunnerkrigg Court - Gorgeous art and a great science fantasy story with some great mysteries.

1430741832381.thumb.jpg.ada28e899014014fa353a3a9aa39dbe1.jpg

1 person likes this

I have not seen mentioned...

Stand Still, Stay Silent 

Miamaska

Blindsprings

Wilde Life

Daughter of the Lilies

Unsounded

... among quite a few others I follow.  They're all fantasy/science fiction webcomics in graphic novel format, on a variety of subjects, that I've found likeable enough to keep up on.  Also, not on hiatus, and updating fairly regularly.

Edit:  ...and if you're not following Stand Still, Stay Silent, I urge you to start now!

Edited by Grumpy Cave Bear

For Fantasy(can't remember which Edition), why not go 'By The Book'?

(Lots of Cheesecake, though... lots... and lots... )

Ooh, speaking of fantasy webcomics and lots of cheesecake, there's Realm of Atland. It's "finished" but there are plans to continue the story in the future, as he did a little interlude set about two years after it ended that has a "To Be Continued..."