TheAuldGrump

Silly Voices 101

35 posts in this topic

Rather than cluttering up the D&D thread - because this applies to all RPGs - the use of voices for characters, often based on those of actors & characters taken from films and TV....

Painting this fellow -

03806_w_1.jpg

For use as a church cardinal in a 17th Century game...

And I realized that in my head, he has the voice of Father Guido Sarducci....

The Auld Grump

6 people like this

How have I never heard of this guy!?

1 person likes this

How could you not have ever heard of this guy?!

2 people like this

Man I had an audio tape of him way back when. Funny stuff. He was one of the original comedians on SNL

1 person likes this

That is one thing acting on stage and running games have in common.  Voicings.  And keeping them distinct.  And finding new sources.

1 person likes this

Considering that what was going through my mind when I started work on the figure was dour stolidity... suddenly picturing the dwarf talking with his hands and an accent.... was amusing. ::P:

Nice guy, with a tendency to... simplify his theology - more secular than he would like to be, but his heart in the right place.

Some are easier -

77313_w_1.jpg

The only possible voice for this guy is Ron Perlman....

The Auld Grump

3 people like this

I don't normally do voices, but I was DMing at Drinking and Dragons on Saturday and had the NPC who hired the party, a miner named Gregoiry, speaking with a bad Russian Mobster accent (or maybe the Russian cosmonaut from Armageddon).  It went over well.  Copious amount of beer helped as well.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

21 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Rather than cluttering up the D&D thread - because this applies to all RPGs - the use of voices for characters, often based on those of actors & characters taken from films and TV....

Painting this fellow -

03806_w_1.jpg

For use as a church cardinal in a 17th Century game...

And I realized that in my head, he has the voice of Father Guido Sarducci....

The Auld Grump

At least the dwarf isn't saying "No one expects the Dwarvish Inquisition!"

Oops. Now I want to roll up a dwarvish inquisitor.

Is that dwarf sitting sidesaddle?

Edited by PaganMegan
3 people like this

Our weapons are fear and surprise!

You know... I have no idea, off hand, whether the dwarf is sitting sidesaddle or not.... Most cardinals would use coaches or even litters, I may need to see Revenge of the Musketeers (AKA d'Artagnan's Daughter) again - that is the only movie that I can think of with a mounted man in clerical robes. (One reason to see the film - Sophie Marceau*, who plays d'Artagnan's daughter, does her own fencing - and knows what she is doing. As do most of the cast - if you look carefully, you can see the buttons on the tips of their fencing epees. I like it when the fencing is done properly.)

The movie also has a classic for a fumbled Cryptography check. ::P:

The Auld Grump

* I had to look up the actress's name. At one time I could have named her without hesitation....

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Considering that what was going through my mind when I started work on the figure was dour stolidity... suddenly picturing the dwarf talking with his hands and an accent.... was amusing. ::P:

Nice guy, with a tendency to... simplify his theology - more secular than he would like to be, but his heart in the right place.

Some are easier -

77313_w_1.jpg

The only possible voice for this guy is Ron Perlman....

The Auld Grump

Yeah but...

Which Ron Perlman? Fallout voiceover? Slade from Teen TitansHellboy?

1 person likes this

Hellboy, of course. ::P:

The Auld Grump - though I might use that figure as a Super Mutant Behemoth in a Fallout game....

1 person likes this

I guess my choices were more limited.  I was thinking Hellboy or Beast (opposite Linda Hamilton).

1 person likes this

At some point, after the Terrain Crate Kickstarter fulfills, I am going to have a sorcerer that uses as close an imitation to Alice Cooper as I can come - while rolling along on a library ladder, throwing fireballs - while drunk. (Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is, of course, impossible - get him off the danged ladder without killing the idiot.)

I blame this on a back-to-school commercial he was in a long time ago... (Riding the shopping cart and going 'Wheee!' - as his daughter looks unimpressed.)

The Auld Grump

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

At some point, after the Terrain Crate Kickstarter fulfills, I am going to have a sorcerer that uses as close an imitation to Alice Cooper as I can come - while rolling along on a library ladder, throwing fireballs - while drunk. (Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is, of course, impossible - get him off the danged ladder without killing the idiot.)

I blame this on a back-to-school commercial he was in a long time ago... (Riding the shopping cart and going 'Wheee!' - as his daughter looks unimpressed.)

The Auld Grump

I think you're conflating two different ads:

2 people like this

Nope - I am aware of both commercials - but there is (or was) a slightly longer version of the Alice Cooper commercial, which ends with Cooper riding the cart and going 'Wheee!' - not rejoicing in his kid going back to school, but in being a kid, himself.

The Auld Grump

1 person likes this