TheAuldGrump

Silly Voices 101

35 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Nope - I am aware of both commercials - but there is (or was) a slightly longer version of the Alice Cooper commercial, which ends with Cooper riding the cart and going 'Wheee!' - not rejoicing in his kid going back to school, but in being a kid, himself.

The Auld Grump

I never even knew he did a commercial for them, too funny:)

Mind you, it is not just RPGs that have the borrowed voices - Johnny Depp 'sponged' Jack Sparrow from Keith Richards. ::P:

For that matter, I had a long ago character at a LARP that I based off of a street folk singer in Portland, Maine. (The guy had a great voice - The Days of '49 being the song I based the character on, using his voice.)

The Auld Grump - I'm old Tom Moore, from the bummer shore,

And the good old golden days.

They call me a bummer, and a gin sot too,

But what care I for praise?

I wander 'round, from town to town,

Just like a roving sign,

And the people say, there goes Tom Moore,

Of the days of '49.

Them days of old,

Them days so bold,

How oft times I repine,

For the days of old,

When we dug up the gold.

In the days of '49....

I mostly don't do the silly voices thing.

Both time I have has been Grumpy games.

One was steampunk, when I did a pirate, and the other was in Pathfinder, when I did a pirate! ::P:::D:

1 person likes this

Because, well... pirates! ::P:

You have had a couple of others that I can remember - the dryad in Serpent's Crown coming to mind.

The Auld Grump - my character flirted with that dryad for the entire campaign. ::P:

1 person likes this

I have a tendency to drop into New York/New Jersey mobster voices for certain characters. Or a heavily slurred Sylvester Stallone for the big, dumb types. I've even caught myself going Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton before.

But then, I wanted to be a voice actor in high school. My problem is that I can't maintain the voices through the whole range of the English language and the gamut of emotional tinting that you'd be required to do. So mainly it gets used for D&D these days.

1 person likes this

That is one thing that being on stage has helped with.  You learn to practice enough with a different vocal inflection / accent that you get used to building different voices.  Of course, my most memorable gnome voice came before I ever got into theatre... 

And what I learned from theatre about remembering the voicings is finding key phrases that will put your mind into that characters tone of voice.  Once I find that key phrase, I can turn the character on and off.  The downside for RPGs is you don't have a script that you can refer back to and go, "Hoowwwdy... My name is Will Stockdale and I'm sapposeta tell ya how I won mah medal"  Though, if you say a good phrase in that voice, write it down and you can create key phrases on the fly.

5 people like this

On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:01 AM, TheAuldGrump said:

...Some are easier -

77313_w_1.jpg

The only possible voice for this guy is Ron Perlman....

The Auld Grump

One could maybe try to make a case for Andre the Giant... His voice was too awesome not to show up somewhere... but yeah, I do tend to agree with you there, good call.

1 person likes this

My Andre's not half-bad but I'd rather save it for a nice giant rather than a mean one.

Heck I once considered playing an Andre/Fezzik-type character.

1 person likes this

On 8/17/2017 at 11:25 AM, Kang said:

One could maybe try to make a case for Andre the Giant... His voice was too awesome not to show up somewhere... but yeah, I do tend to agree with you there, good call.

Look at the face... pretty sure that figure is Ron Perlman!

The Auld Grump - now a paladin using the voice of John Cleese.... that's fun....

2 people like this

I do a pretty decent Foghorn Leghorn imitation, and I discovered I rather liked using it for a particular merchant because "Boy, ah say, Boy, that's a JOKE, son!" and similar utterances gave me time to think about what the NPC was going to say next. He wound up becoming a running joke when he'd appear out of nowhere to greet and annoy the PCs... a thing I stole from Dave Sim, whose "Elrod The Albino" character had similar speech patterns, and more importantly, the main character would leave him in a mess... and ten or twelve issues later, Elrod would appear out of nowhere, with NO explanation of how he escaped or survived the previous situation. Drove the players nuts.

I have spoken of Hecklemeyer the Jester, a Reaper figure who became another running NPC because I love the figure, and because the players, inexplicably, didn't kill him but instead chose to talk to him. For some reason, I used Peter Lorre as the voice template. Years later, one of my players caught Roger Corman's "The Raven" on late night TV and called up to laughingly curse me out because after more than ten years, he FINALLY GOT THE JOKE...

2 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The Auld Grump - now a paladin using the voice of John Cleese.... that's fun....

I've tried. It invariably leads to a flurry of Holy Grail jokes and quotes.

2 people like this

10 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I do a pretty decent Foghorn Leghorn imitation, and I discovered I rather liked using it for a particular merchant because "Boy, ah say, Boy, that's a JOKE, son!" and similar utterances gave me time to think about what the NPC was going to say next. He wound up becoming a running joke when he'd appear out of nowhere to greet and annoy the PCs... a thing I stole from Dave Sim, whose "Elrod The Albino" character had similar speech patterns, and more importantly, the main character would leave him in a mess... and ten or twelve issues later, Elrod would appear out of nowhere, with NO explanation of how he escaped or survived the previous situation. Drove the players nuts.

The original voice actor that Foghorn Leghorn himself was an imitation of was, of course, Kenny Delmar, creator of the ludicrous character Senator Beauregard Claghorn on the old Fred Allen radio show and subsequent films.

2 people like this

I just found out I'm not half-bad at Agent 86/Inspector Gadget.

Now I just need to find an NPC that'd work memorably with that voice.

12 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

I just found out I'm not half-bad at Agent 86/Inspector Gadget.

Now I just need to find an NPC that'd work memorably with that voice.

The head of the Mages Guild... the disconnect between the voice and the position....

An alchemist that creates amusingly malfunctioning potions and/or bombs.

The Auld Grump

On 8/20/2017 at 2:57 PM, Pingo said:

The original voice actor that Foghorn Leghorn himself was an imitation of was, of course, Kenny Delmar, creator of the ludicrous character Senator Beauregard Claghorn on the old Fred Allen radio show and subsequent films.

Even weirder? At one point, Delmar sued Warner Animation over this... and lost. Seems he let it go on too long before deciding to get a lawyer.

Many years ago, I played a Starfleet captain in a game of Star Trek: the Role Playing Game (the one by FASA).

Based on Jack Nicholson.

The Auld Grump

1 person likes this