Ratmaster2000

Pretty Deadly (256 and 258 or 77488 and 77490)

7 posts in this topic

So question about two of the figures from the Pretty Deadly group from the Bones III core set. 

#256 on core set picture (part number 77488) Skara, Female Skoli

#258 on core set picture (part number 77490) Mara Frostblade, Antipaladin

So on the core set picture, Skara seems to be holding a halberd(?) pointing down and her sword sheathed, but the mini I have, she is holding the halberd up and her sword in her opposite hand.

and on Mara, the shield is the same more or less, but she has just a regular/short sword, not the bigger (possibly falchion?) weapon as in the picture.

Did these two figures have a last minute change after the conceptual artwork was done?

the concepts weren't 100% of what made it into the sculpt. Happens to a bunch of minis (not just reaper) in the store they'll often have the concept sketches in the preview pictures and you can see tweaks done in a ton of them.

Concept art often looks good on 2d paper, but is impractical for either 3d appearance, or casting purposes.    There are a variety of other possible reasons, but concept art rarely makes  it to finished product completely unchanged.

2 people like this

We wondered about this too. We bought that set because of the concept art, and DH was disappointed by the sculpts that resulted. 

I wasn't disappointed per se, because they are still pretty good sculpts, but they weren't what i was hoping for. i was really excited about the pole arm and the position seemed much more natural in the concept art. might do some converting on this.

1 hour ago, spoonz202 said:

I wasn't disappointed per se, because they are still pretty good sculpts, but they weren't what i was hoping for. i was really excited about the pole arm and the position seemed much more natural in the concept art. might do some converting on this.

Yes I wasn't disappointed per se either, but I did like the way she held the weapon in the concept art. Plus, gave me some trouble when I was trying to match everything up and make sure it was all there:)

I hit up the previews from the updates so i knew what to expect going in.