knarthex

Question about entries...

19 posts in this topic

Quick question about what can, and cannot be entered in the competitions...

I entered a figure last year, that I consider one of the best I have ever done, but it was not judged (another one of my entries was...)

Can I legally enter that mini again?

The reason I ask is that I have been in a bout of severe depression with no desire to paint, (For a long time) but still plan on being at ReaperCon, and would like to have entries in all categories....

Thanks!

George

Posted (edited)

Rulez are here my friend - https://reapercon.com/contest

Other Rules

1. Any number of entries are permitted per painter per Division, but only one of a painter's entries in each Division will be judged.
  2. Basing adds to the Presentation value of your entry. Be creative!
  3. Please contact the Exhibition Staff before bringing any entry larger than 24" cubed. Any large diorama or display requires additional preparation by the staff and space may not be available. 
  4. By submitting an entry you agree to allow the model to be photographed by Reaper Miniatures, ReaperCon, Hobby-Q, Master Series Paint or Master Series Paint Open for use in ads, promotions, and galleries.
  5. All entries submitted for judging must be modeled/painted personally by the original modeler/painter. The discovery that a person entered for judging an exhibit they did not personally create will result in the barring of that individual from all future Reaper Miniatures, ReaperCon and Master Series Open events.
  6. Every entry to be judged in the Exhibition must be accompanied by a Display Form. Display Forms are color coded to correspond to the Division they are entered in. If you wish to bring a model or collection for non-judging display DO NOT fill out a Display Form card for that exhibit. Instead place a 'For Display Only' card next to your entry. 'For Display Only' cards will be provided and are available at the Exhibition registration desk. 
  7. Models that have been entered for judging in a prior Reaper Miniatures, ReaperCon or Master Series Paint Open event are not allowed and such entries will be disqualified in accord with the spirit of the Exhibition. However we do wholeheartedly encourage the 'For Display Only' exhibition of past work.
  8. You may let the public know that your entry is for sale by checking the appropriate box on the Display Form. DO NOT list a price. Any transaction of this type 
  9. you enter into at the Exhibition is solely between you, the seller, and the buyer. The Master Series Paint Open is not a party to any transaction of this type.
  10. Entrants may choose to make documentation for their entry available to judges and attendees, to be placed next to their entry on display. These may be something as simple as an index card with a few details of interest to the viewer, or an entire booklet documenting the work in progress! The aim of such documentation should be to help the viewer further enjoy the piece through understanding what went into it. Common topics would be: why the subject matter is meaningful to the entrant, the story behind the entry (especially with dioramas), photo documentation of conversions or sculpting done before the model was painted, or photo or text documentation as to the historical or literary source behind the scene. A model will not be penalized for not including this type of information, but it is encouraged in the hope that it will build interest in the subject or techniques presented. For a couple of sample documentations, see below.
Edited by ub3r_n3rd

thanks!

Just wasn't sure if something entered but not judged was eligible...

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, knarthex said:

thanks!

Just wasn't sure if something entered but not judged was eligible...

You can always PM Kris or Michael as they run the contest. They can give you the final word.

New question regarding this stuff....

If I am entering a figure, that I have modified, using bits that someone else made / sculpted /modified, does that piece or pieces make it invalid for the Open?

I am talking something like a weapon / helmet / backpack that someone else did, AS A SEPARATE PIECE, and incorporate it into my modifications...

In a sense, it would be like using a privatly produced weapons pack etc...

Thanks!

@Heisler

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, knarthex said:

New question regarding this stuff....

If I am entering a figure, that I have modified, using bits that someone else made / sculpted /modified, does that piece or pieces make it invalid for the Open?

I am talking something like a weapon / helmet / backpack that someone else did, AS A SEPARATE PIECE, and incorporate it into my modifications...

In a sense, it would be like using a privatly produced weapons pack etc...

Thanks!

@Heisler

You can certainly enter it, but as explained by the rules below, you may not get very high scores.

Open Division

This Open Division includes converted and/or scratch-sculpted entries where the exhibitor understands that all aspects of the entry are judged. While unmodified or stock models might be found as part of a diorama or vignette, a single unmodified or stock model, regardless of the basing of the entry, will not be found in this division unless the exhibitor was also the sculptor of the original model.

Whereas the Painter’s division is predominately judged on the painting skill, entries in the Open division are judged more evenly for Difficulty, Creativity, Workmanship, Painting Skill and Presentation. So in order to reach a maximum score many more criteria need to be addressed.

For example a piece where the sword had been swapped and/or a small set of stairs has been sculpted does qualify for the open division, it would not score as high on the difficulty, creativity and workmanship categories as a piece where part of the body was re-sculpted, adding clothing / armor or even the head was re-sculpted.  Thus the final score of “sword swap” piece would not be able to reach the higher level scores as it was unable to capture maximum points in the difficulty, creativity and workmanship. So when considering if you piece should be entered into the Open Division you should consider how high it can score in each weighted criteria (see below). If the painting skill is much higher than the other criteria for your piece you may want to consider the Painters Division. 

Open Division

Difficulty 15%
Creativity 10%
Workmanship 30%
Painting Skill 30%
Presentation 15%

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
2 people like this

Thanks ub3r_n3rd!

2 people like this

I know its late to jump in here since the questions have been asked and answered. It is absolutely correct that anything entered before is not eligible to be entered again. I have been in that boat myself.

On the conversion, you can certainly use bits that were not sculpted by you, commercially available parts or those hacked off some other donor miniature are fine. Its the skill incorporating those parts that we are concerned with. If a judge cannot tell what has been converted or added then you have done very well. That's what we are looking for in the Open competition. If you want it to contend for a Sophie in this category the bulk of the miniature still needs to be a recognizable miniature from Reaper. Just be aware that Michael and I like to put judges in that group that are well versed in conversions.

3 people like this

On 8/14/2017 at 8:04 AM, Heisler said:

I know its late to jump in here since the questions have been asked and answered. It is absolutely correct that anything entered before is not eligible to be entered again. I have been in that boat myself.

On the conversion, you can certainly use bits that were not sculpted by you, commercially available parts or those hacked off some other donor miniature are fine. Its the skill incorporating those parts that we are concerned with. If a judge cannot tell what has been converted or added then you have done very well. That's what we are looking for in the Open competition. If you want it to contend for a Sophie in this category the bulk of the miniature still needs to be a recognizable miniature from Reaper. Just be aware that Michael and I like to put judges in that group that are well versed in conversions.

I'm looking at doing a piece that incorporates two of my Reaper animal minis (warthog and meerkat) and one I sculpted for another company (lion cub), plus new sculpted base/scenery.  Would that qualify me for a possible Sophie?

3 people like this

6 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I'm looking at doing a piece that incorporates two of my Reaper animal minis (warthog and meerkat) and one I sculpted for another company (lion cub), plus new sculpted base/scenery.  Would that qualify me for a possible Sophie?

As long as the primary focus is on one of the Reaper minis and the lion cub is a supporting actor (as it were), it would qualify. If its the other way around then we get into a grey area and I would probably consult Michael for the final decision. On the other hand Sophies aren't judged the same way and if you can get it passed Anne that's all you need to do.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Heisler said:

As long as the primary focus is on one of the Reaper minis and the lion cub is a supporting actor (as it were), it would qualify. If its the other way around then we get into a grey area and I would probably consult Michael for the final decision. On the other hand Sophies aren't judged the same way and if you can get it passed Anne that's all you need to do.

I'd say they are all main actors (I want to do the Hakuna Matata log scene from Lion King), but that may be my interpretation of the scene.

`

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

I'd say they are all main actors (I want to do the Hakuna Matata log scene from Lion King), but that may be my interpretation of the scene.

`

You are probably going to be okay with that focus. I will be curious to see how you pull it off though,

4 people like this

I've got a question. I'm going to be attending the convention on Friday, and can come back on Sunday, but Saturday is not possible for me. Is it feasible for me to enter the painting contest?

Hot skippity.:B): Any advice regarding that end of things?

I'm pretty sure my stuff isn't award-winning, but it's already proving pretty fun, just having a goal to paint toward. It's got me taking a second look at everything on my desk, and coming up with ideas to make them spiffier than I'd initially planned. :)

2 people like this