Pochi

Arathanel, Elf Ranger - Bones (Photo Heavy)

I like the color scheme, and at least to me, the skin is a good tone for a Drow. I love it when people give some background to their minis, it's always funnier, more interesting. So good detail with the scarf ^^ Great job! 

• Like 3

I like it. I like the purple on his quiver too. It stands out as unique. As if it has a story all it's own. 

The copper color needs a bit of a bump up in my opinion. Maybe wash it down then use the same color to hit the mids and a brief peak of white to hit the highlights. 

Over all I really like it. Thank you for sharing.

• Like 2

Thanks all! I did like his Drowiness (haha). I don't know, for some reason he wasn't as fun for me to paint as the others so I rushed through. I did consider letting him take a dip in Simple Green but decided he was fine for gaming and he was my practice for Drow skin so he served his purpose.

• Like 2

Like him or not, I think you did a very good job on him. I especially like the bit of backstory you created with the scarf.:winkthumbs:

• Like 1

Just saw this - am planning on my Arathanel being a drow also (the whole party is going to be a bunch of evil's as Navatharr is a Gold in my DDS2) and didn't realize you had gone this route as well :)  I had even envisioned his bow done in bone shards like you did.. lol

He looks awesome!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eldamir said:

Just saw this - am planning on my Arathanel being a drow also (the whole party is going to be a bunch of evil's as Navatharr is a Gold in my DDS2) and didn't realize you had gone this route as well :)  I had even envisioned his bow done in bone shards like you did.. lol

He looks awesome!

Great minds, huh? Haha! Yes, I pictured the bow as bone and antler. It didn't really seem to be wooden to me so I think the bone colors work. Can't wait to see what you do with your adventurers!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By OneBoot
      We all knew this day would come eventually. The day where OneBoot tosses the very few marbles she has left into the ocean and throws herself in after them. The blank 4th spot in my lovely Goblin Challenge signature badge has been glaring at me for several months now, and my personal circumstances have now aligned to allow me to attempt this, my final Challenge.

For those of you unfamiliar with Goblin Painting Challenges, started by our very own @buglips*the*goblin, here is a link to his Kaladrax thread that started it all: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/51269-kaladrax-in-seven-days-buglips-is-crazy-wip/&

The short version of the rules is that I will be painting up Dragons Don't Share - 2014 edition in 7 days, using no brushes larger than a size 0.

Here's the long version of the rules:

You are all invited to join me in my descent into further madness! But only if you bring chocolate and gummy worms.  

On a personal note, out of all 4 Goblin Challenges, this is actually the one I've been the most nervous about all along (yes, even more so than Ma'al Drakar). Those adventurers are likely to prove to be 5 lovely little time sinks for me, and I'll have to concentrate very hard not to get caught up in all those beautiful details on them! But who knows, maybe it'll end up being the terrain that eats all my time and sanity; we get to find out together!

My general plan is as follows:
      The first couple of days will focus on brown linering and basecoating ALL THE THINGS, while also putting on faces and eyes while my hands are still fairly steady. I will work primarily on the adventurers the first few days, but will take 'breaks' to work on the terrain and the dragon in between to let my eyes and hands relax a bit from the tiny work. My aim is to finish the adventurers by the end of Day 4, or at least get them to "good enough" status; fun fiddly detail bits can be added after this point if I have time, but even without those the figures could be declared done. My final day will likely be focused on finishing up the terrain, and possibly the dragon's wings. Not sure about that yet, but that's what I anticipate.  
      Started: April 3rd 2018, 4:00pm PDT
      Finished: April 10th 2018, 8:17am PDT
      Show-off thread:

Huzzah!
      --OneBoot :D
    • By Sophie was taken
      Opened this one up and got it primed when I noticed a very significant case of mold-slippage. The details on her right side and left arm just didn’t line up, and I don’t have the skill to file/green stuff it away. So, rather than weep and save the mini for a melt table, she became practice! This ended up being a combination of speedpaint, demimetallic experimentation, and basing attempt, 3-4 hours total work including lots of futzing with paint mixes on my palette. The results:

Oh, and I made her a Dark Elf to try more white hair.

The purple metal is Royal Purple and Filigree Silver, mixed in varying degrees. Other metallics tended to un-purple the mix too much (except New Gold, but that’s a different look). I think she’s supposed to have gauntlets, but due to the casting issues these became cloth sleeves.

In the end she turned out far better than expected, so I’m glad I didn’t give up. One less potential resident of the shelf of shame. Comments and critiques welcome, as always.
    • By Pochi
      Yes, Jafar has an evil twin. He decided that "phenomenal cosmic power but itty bitty living space" wasn't his thing so he decided to go a different route to achieve his fame and fortune. His name is Aziz and he has been working on ways to call forth the dead.

I am running an Egyptian based Earthdawn game and realized I paint lots of pretty girls and hardly have any guys (good or bad) even though I do buy males. So, for the past couple weeks I have been working on all male figures - mummies, merchants, a cat...hey, it's a boy cat!, and Aziz. Now I am trying to get everything on bases.

So, I had considered putting Aziz on a desert base or a temple floor base but I didn't have what I was looking for so went searching through a friend's box of goodies. He tossed me this base and said "Here ya go, make it lava." Well, I didn't "see" lava when I looked at him but thought I could do something to match the green of the flame coming from the skull. I then had the idea of a hand reaching out of the....goo?....slime?....stuff? So, we started digging through the rest of his stuff and found some arms and heads (also bodies but I didn't want the whole thing) so I chose what I wanted and went to work on his base. I also used Chaoswolf's tutorial on making stringy blood to make dripping goo off the zombie guy's hand. Pretty pleased with how it turned out!

As for the pictures, the green is bright (Valejo Fluorescent Green) but not quite as bright as the pictures make it look. In the base there is actually some yellow and white swirled in and then I mixed some green ink with realistic water and poured that over everything. You can't really see any of the details in the photos. I might try different photos with lights angled differently or something.

Anyway, here he is! Questions, comments, critiques welcome and encouraged!

• By Pochi
      This is Reaper's Dire Crocodile. I looked up pictures of Nile crocodiles and used those as a basis for his paint job. He has a lot of detail and was fun to paint. I just need to find/make an appropriate base for him.

• By Pochi
      This is Dagny by Red Box Games. I love her! She is a huge pain to paint though because she has a lot of tiny bits that are really hard to tell what they are! I use her as my PC. She carries a fetish stick adorned with raven and owl feathers. Her robe is trimmed with a wolf pelt.

The mini has a little demon perched on her shoulder peeking out of her hair. My PC has a bush baby familiar so I just painted it in shades of grey to stand in for her familiar.

• Who's Online   41 Members, 4 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)