Darsc Zacal

Funded
StoneHaven Adventurers 2017

124 posts in this topic

Sounds like StoneHaven is planning Minotaurs as their next project.

1 person likes this

Man I hope I can afford that, Mino's are my fave miniature right after skeletons:) Hopefully they will not start that till after September or October:) 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I had an interesting experience with this -- my card was declined for the $53 I pledged.  I contacted my bank and said:

Hi! My debit card ending in ABCD was declined for a charge of $53 to Stonehaven Miniatures on Friday, August 25th. This is a legitimate charge -- it's a pledge I made on Kickstarter. Sometimes Visa Fraud Prevention gets in the way on these things, but in this case they have not contacted me. Why was this charge declined? Please authorize it. Thanks.

And in response, I got this today:

Dear Salutation Omitted,

Thank you for your email. We apologize for any concern the declined transaction has caused you. Unfortunately, this company is on a red flag listing that has experienced numerous fraud. If a company is on the red flag list, this will automatically block a transaction. As a courtesy, we have removed the ruling of the red flag for 24 hours for your card so you may make your pledge.

If you are going to use your card with this company for ongoing purchases or pledges, please let us know and we can remove the ruling so that you can use your card with this company. However, please note that you may be putting your card number at risk with a company that is on the red flag listing.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to call our Contact Center at XXX-YYY-ZZZZ opt. 6 Monday through Friday 7am-7pm and Saturday 10am-2pm.

Thank you and have a great day!

Sincerely,

Signature Omitted

I proceeded with the pledge -- it's not a huge amount of money, and the approval my bank put in place will expire shortly.  But it still makes me twitch.

Edited by wdmartin

Interesting.  All my KS pledges clear the bank as coming from 'KICKSTARTER COM BROOKLYN NY'.  They've never cleared in the name of the company running the project.

Posted (edited)

Honestly, I don't know what company name it came through in.  I've never actually seen the details of a declined charge.

If somebody has flagged Kickstarter as a whole for fraud, that would be problematic for a great many projects.

EDIT:  I wrote back to my bank for clarification as who exactly they mean by "this company".  It's ambiguous.  I'll report back, and if it turns out they meant Kickstarter, I'll probably edit my initial post to that effect.  I wouldn't want to spread misinformation about anyone.

Edited by wdmartin

It's almost certainly going to be for Kickstarter as Stonehaven doesn't actually have anything to do with your credit card at any point, so the CC company wouldn't be able to ID them as a business that has had fraud issues as they never see their merchant details

so KS being flagged as a problem seems much more likely which isn't surprising considering the number of pledges that fail to go through (10% or so apparently across the site), some of which will be banks blocking stuff, but I bet there's a fair amount of pledgers remorse with people claiming they never made that pledge, honest, let alone the campaigns that actually fail to deliver and people try and make a claim for

(although there's a not insignificant chance your bank should have contacted you but messed up and are making up excuses)

Stonehaven is starting to have surveys going out (through google forms) for backers to choose their rewards, so it seems like we'll have them by September as forecast:)

2 people like this

11 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Stonehaven is starting to have surveys going out (through google forms) for backers to choose their rewards, so it seems like we'll have them by September as forecast:)

I sure hope so!  I'm hoping this will clear up the issues with the Giants, too.

it was Kickstarter that my bank didn't like, not Stonehaven.

I have explained to them that yes, there is an element of risk, but generally it works out okay.  I've backed 61 projects in the last five years.  Four of those have failed in one way or another, mostly when the project creator underestimated how difficult it would be.  I wouldn't characterize any of them as fraud.  That means 94% of the projects I've backed have concluded just fine, meaning I got what they promised, or they're still in production but progressing normally.  I'm out $110 on the four that failed.  I think that's acceptable.

4 people like this

3 hours ago, wdmartin said:

it was Kickstarter that my bank didn't like, not Stonehaven.

I have explained to them that yes, there is an element of risk, but generally it works out okay.  I've backed 61 projects in the last five years.  Four of those have failed in one way or another, mostly when the project creator underestimated how difficult it would be.  I wouldn't characterize any of them as fraud.  That means 94% of the projects I've backed have concluded just fine, meaning I got what they promised, or they're still in production but progressing normally.  I'm out $110 on the four that failed.  I think that's acceptable.

As of June, I have received refunds from 1.9% of 106 projects and have lost money on another 1.9%, which I think of as decent. The numbers are better than that now as I have backed more things since then.

1 person likes this

@Darsc Zacal Should this be moved to funded (or possibly fulfilling? As I got an e-mail today from Petra saying they were trying to get numbers out to the casters in the next day or so)

2 people like this

5 minutes ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

@Darsc Zacal Should this be moved to funded (or possibly fulfilling? As I got an e-mail today from Petra saying they were trying to get numbers out to the casters in the next day or so)

Thanks for pointing that out.

With me being on vacation I haven't been following the forum as closely as usual the past little while. 

2 people like this

I've had tons of problems lately with my cards being declined the first time KS tries to charge them, and then go through the second time. It's weird. It's like been 5 KS'ers in a row now. 

On 8/25/2017 at 10:53 PM, Darsc Zacal said:

Sounds like StoneHaven is planning Minotaurs as their next project.

Thus is very interesting information.

Hope before it launches they get their pricing and logistics back in the realm of where they were previously, 'cause I surely could go for some minotaurs.

2 people like this

I'm not sure the Stonehaven style really lends itself to minotaurs much.  And I know that Zealot and possibly Greebo will be doing minotaurs soon too