Ratmaster2000

Remember coloring dice numbers???

71 posts in this topic

So I know this will probably date me, but does anyone else remember coloring your dice numbers with crayons? I even seem to remember getting a white crayon in the original blue and cyan (or whatever the color is) DnD boxes:) Those were fun times:) I may even have those dice around somewhere in the garage:) A LOT of dice (I like collecting dice haha)

9 people like this

I remember being thrilled that you could buy dice in a set by mail.

dragondice.jpg

7 people like this

I still have three of the dice from my magenta Basic box, and a couple of dice from the old Gamma World and Star Frontiers boxes...

4 people like this

I still have my first dice. I think I used permanent jiffy marker on them. Doc Bedlam posted a pic of them except for some reason the d4 is green plastic. Don't remember a crayon coming with them but that was many moons ago. I haven't done RPGs in many years but still have 3 sets from my AD&D days. Never did by a lot of dice but I have dozens of d6 for various wargames.

I remember.

I just wish I could remember where I put them.

6 people like this

Remember? I did it just as recently as 5 years ago. I bought a few sets of GameScience dice, and they aren't colored, so I took some Testors enamels and filled them in with that.

5 people like this

2 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I remember being thrilled that you could buy dice in a set by mail.

dragondice.jpg

wow never saw them in that color, mine were blue and red.

4 people like this

When I was a young gamer, they didn't give us any fancy crayons. We colored in our numbers with paint like god intended.

::D:

The first polyhedral dice I got were from the TSR store (they didn't come in the white box or beige box OD&D sets). IIRC, the d4 was yellow, the d6 was red (though hardly used, as we had plenty of d6s from other games), the d8 was green, the d12 was blue, and the d20 was white (and numbered 0-9 twice). The d10 had yet to be invented.

These were the "disintegrating dice", made of low-impact plastic. Bits would abrade off as you used them (though I never saw any broken parts), and after a time, the d20 would be almost round.

6 people like this

I have a few of the round d20s retired because they won't stay still on any numbers.

I also still have some of the crayons, they are half melted to the original boxes of gamma world and top secret 

4 people like this

21 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

I have a few of the round d20s retired because they won't stay still on any numbers.

I also still have some of the crayons, they are half melted to the original boxes of gamma world and top secret 

TOP SECRET:SI? OMG! I just saw that box in the garage the other day:) were the dice not colored in on that set either? Man, I gotta get my box out now:)

1 person likes this

I still have a few of my original crayon'ed dice, but I'll admit Ibe also thrown a number away over the years. 

1 person likes this

I carefully used white-out fluid to fill in the numbers on my dice.  It was a lot more permanent than crayon, as several of my old dice show today.

How about the slightly smaller 20-sided dice that had only the digits 0-9 twice?  You had to color half the digits white and the other half red, so you could call half the numbers 1-10 and the other half 11-20.  I still have 3-4 of them, I think.

3 people like this

4 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

These were the "disintegrating dice", made of low-impact plastic. Bits would abrade off as you used them (though I never saw any broken parts), and after a time, the d20 would be almost round.

I thought these were an urban legend until somebody showed me their old set.  While the internet is handy for finding out truthful trivia around gaming, there was something special about questing for an old hippie wizard who would tell tales of The Old Time and show you rare artifacts.  Like this:

1 hour ago, Grumpy Cave Bear said:

.How about the slightly smaller 20-sided dice that had only the digits 0-9 twice?  You had to color half the digits white and the other half red, so you could call half the numbers 1-10 and the other half 11-20.  I still have 3-4 of them, I think.

And then show you mystical treasures from their Gen Con adventure, and it was actually a big deal that they went there. 

7 people like this

Yes, I also remember this; still have a few of them around here someplace.

2 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

I still have a few of my original crayon'ed dice, but I'll admit Ibe also thrown a number away over the years. 

Thrown away?!?

HERESY!!!

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

I got my first dice long after those days, but I still have friends that have those old dice.

The disintegrating, near spherical, half of the faces colored, light blue d20 still got regular use at our game table.

Edited by Cranky Dog
1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SamuraiJack

About this project
      The invention of dice can be traced back almost 5000 years. 
      However, the dice you see before you now, retain a much deeper history than that.
      Crafted from the world's oldest wood, these dice are carbon dated to be 50,000 years old - 10 times older than the invention of dice themselves!
      This is your chance to own a rare artefact of our planet's immense history!
      Introducing the most fascinating gaming accessory in the world...
       The Wood: Ancient Kauri
      Ancient Kauri is the oldest and most exotic wood in the world. Not one tree was cut down to harvest it. 
      Tsunamis levelled the mighty Kauri forests during the Stone Age, leaving the trees buried just below the surface of the ground and preserved in the water of peat swamps. 
      The Ancient Kauri wood has neither petrified nor turned to coal. This underground resting place, sealed from the air, became a perfectly balanced cocoon that preserved the giant trees for 50,000 years.
      The wood used to craft the Ancient Dice is sourced from the awesome people over at Ancient Wood Ltd. All wood comes with certificates of aunthenticity. 
      The natural iridescence of this incredible wood resonates the historical significance behind these dice.
      There is a very limited amount of Ancient Kauri on the planet. 
      These dice shift the barrier between present day, and The Stone Age. To own one is to own a genuine prehistoric artefact; a glowing relic of truly ancient history.
      50,000 Years Old
      To give some context as to just how old these dice are, here’s some info on how different things were here on Earth, when the trees used to carve these dice fell:
      Population was less than 10000 – humans faced extinction. Spoken and written language did not yet exist.  The Ice Age persisted. Humans lived in the Stone Age - coexisting with Neanderthals. Europe's population was 0. Since the trees fell, the moon has orbited Earth 675,925 times.
    • By justcallmej
      Reconstructed and redesigned in response to your input, Stronghold on the Borderlands has been reimagined as a MASSIVE digital, infinite fort design for 3dprinting. This Design will offer more than SIX TIMES the digital content for the SAME PRICE as our initial launch! Original resin options will also remain with many NEW add-on options. 

• By SamuraiJack

About this project

Seet update #1 for details.
      Extraordinarily versatile, the Tablebreaker has as many uses as you can imagine:
      Express your individuality at work or home!
      Use it as a gorgeous, eye-catching desk display!
      Spruce up your game room with a colorful, themed accent piece!
      Incorporate your passion into your living space with a sleek bookend or mantle decor!
      With options for both Standard and Countdown number orientation, the Tablebreaker is the perfect life-counter that all your friends are sure to envy!

The Tablebreaker was designed from the ground up with 3D modeling software; this allows us to ensure the greatest manufacturability and quality control. The Tablebreaker is then precision machined on a multi-axis CNC mill using a solid billet of 6063 architectural aluminum. After machining, the dice are color anodized to MIL-A-8625 specification. Finally, each die is etched using a CO2 laser. This process selectively removes the anodization and exposes the aluminum underneath to reveal the numbers on each face.
      Why Architectural Aluminium (6063)?
      Aluminum has a superb strength to weight ratio, making it the ideal material for a beautiful, yet durable display piece. Architectural Aluminum (6063) facilitates the most vibrant anodize colors. It’s always been our goal to bring you beautiful gaming accessories with as little risk as possible. Before launching this Kickstarter, we invested a lot of time, money and effort to make sure it was possible to bring our vision to life with a quality that we're proud of.  
      During our testing, we’ve found that in order to maintain a flawless finish, a small, shallow hole needed to be made in the otherwise solid block of aluminum to allow the die to be hung during the anodization process. We worked tirelessly to incorporate this into the overall design for a beautiful and complete finish. We solved the design change by adding a second hole, and incorporating them into distinguishing markers for the 6 and the 9. Our final product will feature two small, flush, stainless steel accent screws to complete this modern look.
    • By SamuraiJack

About this project
      Gravity Dice™ Dragon Forged Polyhedral 7 Dice Set and LED Dice Vault
      For the last three years, our focus has been on creating high-quality aluminum dice that are perfectly balanced and a blast to use during your favorite games. We have been blown away by the reviews and comments that customers have given us about our aluminum dice sets and have taken their feedback into consideration.
      One of the biggest requests we’ve had is for an entry-level dice set that is more affordable than our metal dice, yet still made without compromise. After a bit of research and tinkering, we’ve come up with precision-crafted PMMA dice that we think you will love.
      The Light Up Dragon Vault and Polyhedral Sets
      We are offering a full set of polyhedral dice which includes 7 Dice: D20, D12, D10, D10%, D8, D6, and a D4. Each of our dice will have the numbers formed into the dice and them color filled to help maintain the perfect balance.
      Computer Generated Render. Dice and Case Colors may vary slightly. The LED Dragon Forged Dice Vault Specifications:
      Inner plastic tube casing: Height: 6.25," Diameter: 1.25"
      The vault can hold up to 9 dice, depending on the size and shape of the dice. It comfortably fits our set of 7 polyhedral dice and the carry bag.
      We will have several color combinations available. As we reach our stretch goals we will unlock new colors and options.
      Our first available colors will be: Translucent Smoke, Translucent Red, Translucent Blue, Translucent Green, and Translucent Purple. 
      The Light-Up Dragon Case will be in a solid color with translucent dice to match. It will come with White LEDs and replaceable batteries.
       As a stretch goal, we will be upgrading all light-up cases with RGB LEDs, a rechargeable battery and micro USB for recharging the unit. 
      Polyhedral sizes are as follows: The D20 measures 20 mm from face to face (FF) and 21.98 mm at its peak. The D12 is slightly smaller at 18 mm FF, the D10 and D10% measure 18 mm Point to Point (PP), the D8 is also 18 mm PP, the D6 is 16 mm FF and the D4 is 16 mm PP. 
      The Anatomy of a Perfect Dice
      Our Gravity Dice™ have been designed to not only be as precise as possible in their manufacturing but also to change the way dice roll to make them more enjoyable, more random and completely unique. Each angle, corner, and chamfer was developed through weeks of testing.
      Why Do We Use PMMA?
      PMMA, also called acrylic glass, has a high surface hardness, meaning it is very scratch resistant. It is also easily machined, easily cleaned, and lightweight. PMMA is also fully recyclable (although we know you’d never throw your awesome dice away!).
      With a precision of less than 100 microns and engineered to enhance your random roll mechanics, these PMMA dice are simply amazing.
       Stretch Goals
      INITIAL FUNDING GOAL is $ 10,000 
      With this Kickstarter, you can choose between 5 color options for the Dragon forged Dice Set and Light Up Case Set. You can choose between; Translucent Smoke, Translucent Red, Translucent Blue, Translucent Green, and Translucent Purple.
      The Dragon Tube will be in the solid colors and will light up with three LEDs and use two cr2032 batteries. It will come with a set of 7 Dragon Forged Dice in the colors above. The Case colors will be Black with Translucent Smoke, Red with Translucent Red, Blue with Blue, Green with Translucent Green, and Purple with Purple.
       1ST STRETCH GOAL $ 15,000
       At this stretch goal, we will expand our offering of dice colors to include Translucent Blue, Translucent Orange, Translucent Teal, as well as Solid Black, Red, Blue, and Green. We will also have Teal as a LED Case option with Translucent Teal Dice.
      2ND STRETCH GOAL $50,000 
       At this stretch goal, we will change the circuit board to include a three multi-color LEDs and a push button to change the colors. We will also include a rechargeable battery and a micro USB port to recharge the battery.  
      3RD STRETCH GOAL $ 200,000 ;)
      Let's just say its amazing! May involve a bending the laws of physics.
    • By SamuraiJack

About this project
      It seems like no matter how many dice you buy, you still never have enough d6s... meanwhile, your collection of unnecessary d20s keeps getting bigger. 
      Dice of Rolling are not rocket science. They’re just regular dice that come in the amounts you actually need, and they use color for more than just decoration. One simple purchase, and you’re good to go for most of the situations you’ll encounter in the 5th edition of the world's greatest roleplaying game. And since each dice type is a different color, you'll always grab the right ones. It’s kind of a no-brainer, but nobody else is doing it so we're bringing it to Kickstarter. 
      This is the dice set we’ve always wanted for our table, and with your help we can bring it to tables everywhere!

We’re keeping the rewards real simple. You can pledge to receive 1, 2, 4, or 20 sets, and each set will include the same 29 color-coded dice + microfiber dice bag.

• Who's Online   45 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)